|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph Dunn, his brother Michael and their friend Jerry Hollohan in __________________, a community downstream from the town of Matawan, had missed the warnings and cut through the woods for a quick swim in the creek.
(c) Cliff Falls.
2. In most cases, white sharks dislike the taste of humans and do what?
(a) Eat them anyway.
(b) Avoid them.
(c) Eat them quickly.
(d) Spit them out.
3. The boys ran to Stanley Fisher, who was what?
(a) The mayor of the town.
(b) The best swimmer in town.
(c) The bravest man in town.
(d) The strongest man in town.
4. The reporters had endless questions about what?
(b) Sea creatures.
(c) Attacks on humans by animals.
(d) Man-eating sharks.
5. The juvenile shark that killed Bruder had probably been frightened off by what?
(a) The rescue boat.
(c) The sounds of men.
6. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
(a) The Sony Wonder Lab.
(b) The American Museum of Natural History.
(c) The Rose Center.
(d) Liberty Science Center.
7. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Smith.
(b) Dr. Johnson.
(c) Dr. Nichols.
(d) Dr. Neergaard.
8. A lunar eclipse would be occurring on July _______ that year.
9. What was done to keep swimmers safe in the Asbury Park area?
(a) Guards sat in boats in the water looking for the shark.
(b) They were told to wear bright colors in the water.
(c) They were not allowed in the water.
(d) A wire mesh net was being constructed.
10. Much to Everingham's surprise, what did he see?
(a) A gray fin cut the surface and speed right toward his boat.
(c) A large orca speed right toward his boat.
(d) A small dolphin speed right toward his boat.
11. The shark hunters spotted what and shot at it repeatedly?
(a) A dark spot in the water.
(b) A large fin.
(c) A school of fish.
(d) A red spot in the water.
12. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Middle pages.
(c) Second pages.
(d) Back pages.
13. Why is it difficult to catch serial-killing man-eating sharks?
(a) Men do not know much about sea creatures.
(b) The water conceals their crimes and aids in their escape.
(c) These sharks are very intelligent and devious.
(d) The sharks are shy.
14. The next morning, retired ______________ Thomas V. Cottrell was walking along the bank of the creek.
(a) Army Sergeant.
(b) Navy Seal.
(c) Police Officer.
(d) Sea Captain.
15. What did Fisher set up so the boy's body wouldn't wash out to sea?
(a) A patrol of men to look for the body.
(b) A dam made from wood.
(c) A barrier of chicken wire down creek.
(d) A cage to catch the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
2. When Lester was pulled under by the shark, the boys ran into town and told ___________________ what had happened.
3. Benjamin Everingham had been instructed to bring a rifle and ax along. Why did he not bring any weapons?
4. The great white can grow to _____________ feet or more and weigh several tons.
5. Why did the shark do this to Renny?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)