|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________________ of sharks were hunted down and slaughtered.
(a) Tens of thousands.
2. What did the men do to attract the shark?
(a) They spread trails of blood behind their boats.
(b) They called out for the shark.
(c) They shot into the water.
(d) They swam in the water around the boat.
3. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
4. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The school.
(b) The warehouse.
(c) The factory.
(d) The grocery store.
5. Joseph Dunn, his brother Michael and their friend Jerry Hollohan in __________________, a community downstream from the town of Matawan, had missed the warnings and cut through the woods for a quick swim in the creek.
(d) Cliff Falls.
6. When the attacks stopped, Coppleson took it as what evidence?
(a) The attacks were by the same rogue shark that had either died or moved on.
(b) The sharks were no longer interested in attacking humans.
(c) The sharks had all been killed.
(d) There were less humans in the water.
7. The shark withstood the vengeance of man and days enduring life-threatening fresh water and made its way to ______________ Bay.
8. The juvenile shark that killed Bruder had probably been frightened off by what?
(a) The rescue boat.
(d) The sounds of men.
9. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Second pages.
(b) Back pages.
(d) Middle pages.
10. There was a report of a thirteen-foot tiger shark that was towed ashore while still alive regurgitating, among other items, what?
(a) A small school of fish.
(b) A well-preserved human arm.
(c) A squid.
(d) A rubber tire.
11. The men thought once the shark was killed, it would do what?
(b) Go out to sea.
12. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
(c) The Interior.
13. Dr. Sir Victor Coppleson, __________________ surgeon, coined the phrase "rogue shark."
(a) A Norwegian.
(b) A German.
(c) An English.
(d) An Australian.
14. Cottrell did what to warn people about the shark?
(a) He posted signs to stay out of the water.
(b) He posted a warning as his Facebook status.
(c) He telephoned everyone he knew.
(d) He steered his motorboat up and down the creek.
15. Why is it difficult to catch serial-killing man-eating sharks?
(a) Men do not know much about sea creatures.
(b) The water conceals their crimes and aids in their escape.
(c) These sharks are very intelligent and devious.
(d) The sharks are shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
2. Just before they gave up, Fisher decided to dive one more time. He resurfaced and told Lester's waiting parents and the others what?
3. The next morning, retired ______________ Thomas V. Cottrell was walking along the bank of the creek.
4. What did Fisher set up so the boy's body wouldn't wash out to sea?
5. What had drawn the shark?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)