|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nichols still maintained that an orca was responsible for the attacks. He soon realized that what would not accommodate a killer whale?
(a) The depth of the creek.
(b) The size of the creek.
(c) The fresh water of the creek.
(d) The temperature of the creek.
2. The ____________________ sensationalized the incident by describing in detail the gore of the attack.
(a) AM New York program.
(b) New Yorker.
(c) New York Post.
(d) New York Times.
3. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Middle pages.
(b) Back pages.
(d) Second pages.
4. The shark hunters spotted what and shot at it repeatedly?
(a) A school of fish.
(b) A large fin.
(c) A red spot in the water.
(d) A dark spot in the water.
5. Coppleson cited the North Atlantic attacks of 1916 as those of a rogue shark, even though many American experts maintained what belief?
(a) The deaths of the swimmers were caused by orcas.
(b) The deaths of the swimmers were caused by a shark that could not be considered a rogue shark.
(c) The swimmers drowned.
(d) The deaths of the swimmers were not caused by sharks.
6. On July ________, 1916, Renny Cartan, Jr., his cousin Johnson Cartan, and some other friends took off for the swimming hole at the nearby creek.
7. The great white can grow to _____________ feet or more and weigh several tons.
8. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
(b) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
(c) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
(d) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
9. An influx of salt water to the creek did what?
(a) Forced the shark to enter the creek.
(b) It helped give the shark new life.
(c) Confused the shark.
(d) Made the shark ill.
10. How was Fisher able to fight against the shark?
(a) He was smart.
(b) He was brave.
(c) He was quick.
(d) He was an athletically built man.
11. Why did the shark do this to Renny?
(a) Probably to see what kind of creature he was.
(b) Probably to see if he would taste good.
(c) Probably to get a sense of his size.
(d) Probably to sate his hunger.
12. ________________ were strapped to the boats as gunmen stood waiting for the shark to surface.
(b) Pieces of Bruder's clothing.
(c) Red pieces of fabric.
(d) Chunks of meat.
13. The beating with the oar and the gunshots had, like some old-time fishermen predicted, probably done what?
(a) Scared it south.
(b) Caused the shark to drift north.
(c) Killed the shark.
(d) Forced it farther out to sea.
14. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The school.
(b) The warehouse.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The factory.
15. Confused by the coastline, the shark swam into the mouth of what creek?
(a) Matawan Creek.
(b) Indian Creek.
(c) Flint Creek.
(d) Muscogee Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Herbert Cooley at Keyport tended to Joseph when he was brought ashore. Joseph's ______________ received a large bite. The doctor treated the wound and had Joseph rushed to the hospital.
2. The expert and some of his assistants had witnessed sharks first hand and had observed how difficult it was for them to do what?
3. Hearing about the attacks, ichthyologist John Nichols drove from New York City to the Matawan Creek. Where did he stop first?
4. What did the shark do to Renny?
5. The shark craved large mammals rich with what?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)