|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Herbert Cooley at Keyport tended to Joseph when he was brought ashore. Joseph's ______________ received a large bite. The doctor treated the wound and had Joseph rushed to the hospital.
(a) Arm muscle.
(b) Neck muscle.
(c) Thigh muscle.
(d) Calf muscle.
2. Why might the juvenile shark that attacked the men have turned toward the coast when it reached Sandy Hook Bay on its northward migration?
(a) It was confused.
(b) It was hungry.
(c) It was attracted by the smell of humans.
(d) It may have sensed that it wouldn't survive in the open ocean.
3. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Nichols.
(b) Dr. Smith.
(c) Dr. Johnson.
(d) Dr. Neergaard.
4. Coppleson applied his theory to many locales around the world, including South Africa, Puerto Rico and _________________.
(c) New Zealand.
(d) The United States.
5. What did the shark do to Renny?
(a) It nipped him.
(b) It bit him.
(c) It smelled him.
(d) It bumped into him.
6. Hearing about the attacks, ichthyologist John Nichols drove from New York City to the Matawan Creek. Where did he stop first?
(a) The mouth of the creek.
(b) The place where Renny was first scratched by the shark.
(c) Renny's home.
(d) The constable's office.
7. When Lester was pulled under by the shark, the boys ran into town and told ___________________ what had happened.
(a) Captain Mulsoff.
(b) Constable Mulsoff.
(c) Sergeant Mulsoff.
(d) Patrolman Mulsoff.
8. What did the men do to attract the shark?
(a) They spread trails of blood behind their boats.
(b) They shot into the water.
(c) They swam in the water around the boat.
(d) They called out for the shark.
9. Why did the shark do this to Renny?
(a) Probably to see what kind of creature he was.
(b) Probably to see if he would taste good.
(c) Probably to sate his hunger.
(d) Probably to get a sense of his size.
10. On July ____, 1916, a small group of men and their boats were organized to hunt the man-eater down.
11. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
(b) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
(c) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
(d) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
12. The shark craved large mammals rich with what?
13. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
(a) The water is too cold.
(b) They lose the salt balance between their own body and the fresh water.
(c) The fresh water flushes out all the nutrients in their bodies.
(d) The water is too warm.
14. By July _______, bathers returned and ventured back into the water, seeming to forget about the recent attacks.
15. The men began launching ________________ in various parts of the creek.
(b) Dynamite blasts.
(d) Tear gas canisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Men all over the region were reaching for their rifles and harpoons to hunt the beast down and kill it. A _______________ dollar reward was offered by the mayor of Matawan for the person who killed it.
2. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
3. The expert and some of his assistants had witnessed sharks first hand and had observed how difficult it was for them to do what?
4. Why might the shark not have been hungry for a short while?
5. The great white can grow to _____________ feet or more and weigh several tons.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)