|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the shark-patrol steered its motorboats back and forth, hunting for the shark, the shark was doing what?
(a) Heading north.
(b) Picking up the many vibrations and sensations that the boats were causing.
(c) Heading south.
(d) Hunting for humans.
2. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The school.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The factory.
(d) The warehouse.
3. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Nichols.
(b) Dr. Johnson.
(c) Dr. Smith.
(d) Dr. Neergaard.
4. The next morning, retired ______________ Thomas V. Cottrell was walking along the bank of the creek.
(a) Police Officer.
(b) Army Sergeant.
(c) Navy Seal.
(d) Sea Captain.
5. There was a report of a thirteen-foot tiger shark that was towed ashore while still alive regurgitating, among other items, what?
(a) A well-preserved human arm.
(b) A rubber tire.
(c) A small school of fish.
(d) A squid.
6. What was done to keep swimmers safe in the Asbury Park area?
(a) They were told to wear bright colors in the water.
(b) A wire mesh net was being constructed.
(c) Guards sat in boats in the water looking for the shark.
(d) They were not allowed in the water.
7. Fisher and fisherman George _________________ made repeated dives into the murky water but could not find Lester.
8. A lunar eclipse would be occurring on July _______ that year.
9. The men began launching ________________ in various parts of the creek.
(c) Tear gas canisters.
(d) Dynamite blasts.
10. ________________ were strapped to the boats as gunmen stood waiting for the shark to surface.
(a) Red pieces of fabric.
(c) Chunks of meat.
(d) Pieces of Bruder's clothing.
11. _______ Craven, walking along the bank of the creek, had just about given up on the shark when he saw something bobbing in the water. It was Lester.
12. How was Fisher able to fight against the shark?
(a) He was quick.
(b) He was smart.
(c) He was brave.
(d) He was an athletically built man.
13. Coppleson felt there was evidence that if a shark experiences killing or mauling humans, he does what?
(a) Becomes very ill.
(b) Remembers the smell of humans and avoids them.
(c) Goes in search of more human prey.
(d) Never attacks a human again.
14. He was finally able to get away from it and was carrying what was left of Lester to the shore when what happened?
(a) The shark attacked again.
(b) He collapsed.
(c) He jumped back into the water to catch the shark.
(d) The shark started to swim away from him.
15. What did the men do to attract the shark?
(a) They called out for the shark.
(b) They spread trails of blood behind their boats.
(c) They shot into the water.
(d) They swam in the water around the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________________ of sharks were hunted down and slaughtered.
2. Coppleson cited the North Atlantic attacks of 1916 as those of a rogue shark, even though many American experts maintained what belief?
3. In 1922, two _____________ were attacked and killed at the same location, Coogee Beach, by large sharks that struck them with such force that they were lifted from the water.
4. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
5. An influx of salt water to the creek did what?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)