|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The beating with the oar and the gunshots had, like some old-time fishermen predicted, probably done what?
(a) Scared it south.
(b) Killed the shark.
(c) Forced it farther out to sea.
(d) Caused the shark to drift north.
2. How did Everingham attempt to protect himself?
(a) He punched the shark.
(b) He paddled quickly to shore.
(c) He struck the shark with one of his oars.
(d) He cowered in the bottom of the boat.
3. Joseph Dunn, his brother Michael and their friend Jerry Hollohan in __________________, a community downstream from the town of Matawan, had missed the warnings and cut through the woods for a quick swim in the creek.
(d) Cliff Falls.
4. On July ________, 1916, Renny Cartan, Jr., his cousin Johnson Cartan, and some other friends took off for the swimming hole at the nearby creek.
5. The shark withstood the vengeance of man and days enduring life-threatening fresh water and made its way to ______________ Bay.
6. The boys ran to Stanley Fisher, who was what?
(a) The bravest man in town.
(b) The strongest man in town.
(c) The best swimmer in town.
(d) The mayor of the town.
7. What did Fisher set up so the boy's body wouldn't wash out to sea?
(a) A patrol of men to look for the body.
(b) A dam made from wood.
(c) A cage to catch the body.
(d) A barrier of chicken wire down creek.
8. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
(b) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
(c) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
(d) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
9. Much to Everingham's surprise, what did he see?
(a) A small dolphin speed right toward his boat.
(b) A large orca speed right toward his boat.
(d) A gray fin cut the surface and speed right toward his boat.
10. Suddenly, Joseph was being pulled down by his leg. His brother Michael and a rescuer, Jacob Lefferts, both leaped in the water and tried to wrest Joseph from the shark's mouth. They were able to pull Joseph out and onto whose boat?
(c) Renny Cartan's.
(d) Captain Cottrell's.
11. Coppleson applied his theory to many locales around the world, including South Africa, Puerto Rico and _________________.
(b) New Zealand.
(c) The United States.
12. Fisher and fisherman George _________________ made repeated dives into the murky water but could not find Lester.
13. Coppleson based his theory on the incidence of shark attacks that occurred when?
(a) After the advent of the sailboat in 1919.
(b) After the advent of swimming competitions in 1919.
(c) After the advent of the swimsuit in 1919.
(d) After the advent of the sport of surfing in 1919.
14. Just before they gave up, Fisher decided to dive one more time. He resurfaced and told Lester's waiting parents and the others what?
(a) The boy was still alive.
(b) He had been attacked.
(c) He could not find the boy.
(d) He found the boy.
15. How was Fisher able to fight against the shark?
(a) He was smart.
(b) He was an athletically built man.
(c) He was brave.
(d) He was quick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the shark do to Renny?
2. The expert and some of his assistants had witnessed sharks first hand and had observed how difficult it was for them to do what?
3. On July ____, 1916, a small group of men and their boats were organized to hunt the man-eater down.
4. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
5. Despite their efforts, what happened to the beaches?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)