|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Saturday, July 15, Coney Island and Brighton Beach had lost an estimated __________________ beach goers, replaced by gangs of men armed with guns and spears bent on killing sharks.
2. Just before they gave up, Fisher decided to dive one more time. He resurfaced and told Lester's waiting parents and the others what?
(a) He had been attacked.
(b) He found the boy.
(c) He could not find the boy.
(d) The boy was still alive.
3. Confused by the coastline, the shark swam into the mouth of what creek?
(a) Flint Creek.
(b) Muscogee Creek.
(c) Matawan Creek.
(d) Indian Creek.
4. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Johnson.
(b) Dr. Neergaard.
(c) Dr. Nichols.
(d) Dr. Smith.
5. Why might the juvenile shark that attacked the men have turned toward the coast when it reached Sandy Hook Bay on its northward migration?
(a) It was attracted by the smell of humans.
(b) It was hungry.
(c) It was confused.
(d) It may have sensed that it wouldn't survive in the open ocean.
6. The shark could have been reacting to the lunar pull, which caused what?
(a) High tides running up even into the creek.
(b) The fresh water to leak out to the ocean.
(c) Low tides running out of the creek.
(d) The water to be warm.
7. What was Benjamin Everingham doing in the Asbury Avenue beach area?
(b) Warning swimmers.
(d) Building barriers.
8. Joseph Dunn, his brother Michael and their friend Jerry Hollohan in __________________, a community downstream from the town of Matawan, had missed the warnings and cut through the woods for a quick swim in the creek.
(a) Cliff Falls.
9. Cottrell did what to warn people about the shark?
(a) He steered his motorboat up and down the creek.
(b) He telephoned everyone he knew.
(c) He posted a warning as his Facebook status.
(d) He posted signs to stay out of the water.
10. An influx of salt water to the creek did what?
(a) Forced the shark to enter the creek.
(b) Made the shark ill.
(c) Confused the shark.
(d) It helped give the shark new life.
11. When Lester was pulled under by the shark, the boys ran into town and told ___________________ what had happened.
(a) Patrolman Mulsoff.
(b) Constable Mulsoff.
(c) Sergeant Mulsoff.
(d) Captain Mulsoff.
12. Coppleson would one day refer to these attacks as those by the "____________" of New Jersey.
(a) Crazy shark.
(b) Wild shark.
(c) Mad shark.
(d) White shark.
13. Benjamin Everingham had been instructed to bring a rifle and ax along. Why did he not bring any weapons?
(a) He did not feel comfortable carrying weapons.
(b) He could not find a rifle or ax.
(c) He forgot.
(d) He thought there was no real threat.
14. What was wrong with the North Atlantic region for the shark?
(a) It had too many animals from which to choose.
(b) It was very warm.
(c) It was very cold.
(d) It did not offer him many food choices.
15. Suddenly, Joseph was being pulled down by his leg. His brother Michael and a rescuer, Jacob Lefferts, both leaped in the water and tried to wrest Joseph from the shark's mouth. They were able to pull Joseph out and onto whose boat?
(a) Renny Cartan's.
(b) Captain Cottrell's.
Short Answer Questions
1. On July ________, 1916, Renny Cartan, Jr., his cousin Johnson Cartan, and some other friends took off for the swimming hole at the nearby creek.
2. Men all over the region were reaching for their rifles and harpoons to hunt the beast down and kill it. A _______________ dollar reward was offered by the mayor of Matawan for the person who killed it.
3. ________________ were strapped to the boats as gunmen stood waiting for the shark to surface.
4. The men began launching ________________ in various parts of the creek.
5. Coppleson cited the North Atlantic attacks of 1916 as those of a rogue shark, even though many American experts maintained what belief?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)