|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
(a) The Rose Center.
(b) Liberty Science Center.
(c) The American Museum of Natural History.
(d) The Sony Wonder Lab.
2. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
(b) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
(c) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
(d) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
3. The ____________________ sensationalized the incident by describing in detail the gore of the attack.
(a) New York Times.
(b) AM New York program.
(c) New York Post.
(d) New Yorker.
4. What did the men do to attract the shark?
(a) They called out for the shark.
(b) They spread trails of blood behind their boats.
(c) They swam in the water around the boat.
(d) They shot into the water.
5. By July _______, bathers returned and ventured back into the water, seeming to forget about the recent attacks.
6. What was Benjamin Everingham doing in the Asbury Avenue beach area?
(a) Building barriers.
(c) Warning swimmers.
7. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
(d) The Interior.
8. How did Everingham attempt to protect himself?
(a) He paddled quickly to shore.
(b) He struck the shark with one of his oars.
(c) He cowered in the bottom of the boat.
(d) He punched the shark.
9. How was Fisher able to fight against the shark?
(a) He was an athletically built man.
(b) He was quick.
(c) He was smart.
(d) He was brave.
10. Suddenly, Joseph was being pulled down by his leg. His brother Michael and a rescuer, Jacob Lefferts, both leaped in the water and tried to wrest Joseph from the shark's mouth. They were able to pull Joseph out and onto whose boat?
(a) Captain Cottrell's.
(d) Renny Cartan's.
11. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(b) Back pages.
(c) Second pages.
(d) Middle pages.
12. The men thought once the shark was killed, it would do what?
(c) Go out to sea.
13. The reporters had endless questions about what?
(b) Attacks on humans by animals.
(c) Man-eating sharks.
(d) Sea creatures.
14. The shark craved large mammals rich with what?
15. Dr. Sir Victor Coppleson, __________________ surgeon, coined the phrase "rogue shark."
(a) A German.
(b) A Norwegian.
(c) An English.
(d) An Australian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to catch serial-killing man-eating sharks?
2. What had drawn the shark?
3. Coppleson would one day refer to these attacks as those by the "____________" of New Jersey.
4. What did Fisher set up so the boy's body wouldn't wash out to sea?
5. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)