|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
(b) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
(c) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
(d) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
2. Coppleson applied his theory to many locales around the world, including South Africa, Puerto Rico and _________________.
(a) The United States.
(c) New Zealand.
3. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Nichols.
(b) Dr. Smith.
(c) Dr. Neergaard.
(d) Dr. Johnson.
4. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
(b) The Interior.
5. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The warehouse.
(b) The school.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The factory.
6. What had drawn the shark?
(a) The splashing of the boys.
(b) The smell of the boys.
(c) The sounds of the boys.
(d) The warm water.
7. Dr. Sir Victor Coppleson, __________________ surgeon, coined the phrase "rogue shark."
(a) An Australian.
(b) A Norwegian.
(c) A German.
(d) An English.
8. By Saturday, July 15, Coney Island and Brighton Beach had lost an estimated __________________ beach goers, replaced by gangs of men armed with guns and spears bent on killing sharks.
9. As the shark-patrol steered its motorboats back and forth, hunting for the shark, the shark was doing what?
(a) Picking up the many vibrations and sensations that the boats were causing.
(b) Heading south.
(c) Hunting for humans.
(d) Heading north.
10. The boys ran to Stanley Fisher, who was what?
(a) The bravest man in town.
(b) The mayor of the town.
(c) The strongest man in town.
(d) The best swimmer in town.
11. The great white can grow to _____________ feet or more and weigh several tons.
12. Men all over the region were reaching for their rifles and harpoons to hunt the beast down and kill it. A _______________ dollar reward was offered by the mayor of Matawan for the person who killed it.
13. The shark could have been reacting to the lunar pull, which caused what?
(a) The water to be warm.
(b) Low tides running out of the creek.
(c) The fresh water to leak out to the ocean.
(d) High tides running up even into the creek.
14. What did the shark do to Renny?
(a) It smelled him.
(b) It bumped into him.
(c) It nipped him.
(d) It bit him.
15. The shark withstood the vengeance of man and days enduring life-threatening fresh water and made its way to ______________ Bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with the North Atlantic region for the shark?
2. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
3. Where was this bay located?
4. Fisher and fisherman George _________________ made repeated dives into the murky water but could not find Lester.
5. Hearing about the attacks, ichthyologist John Nichols drove from New York City to the Matawan Creek. Where did he stop first?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)