|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Confused by the coastline, the shark swam into the mouth of what creek?
(a) Flint Creek.
(b) Matawan Creek.
(c) Muscogee Creek.
(d) Indian Creek.
2. What happened to the animal at which they shot?
(a) It died and floated on top of the water.
(b) It died and sank to the bottom of the ocean.
(c) It submerged and disappeared under the water.
(d) It attacked their boat.
3. Much to Everingham's surprise, what did he see?
(a) A large orca speed right toward his boat.
(b) A gray fin cut the surface and speed right toward his boat.
(d) A small dolphin speed right toward his boat.
4. Just before they gave up, Fisher decided to dive one more time. He resurfaced and told Lester's waiting parents and the others what?
(a) The boy was still alive.
(b) He could not find the boy.
(c) He had been attacked.
(d) He found the boy.
5. The juvenile shark that killed Bruder had probably been frightened off by what?
(b) The sounds of men.
(c) The rescue boat.
6. The US Bureau of ______________ declared that people should not be deterred from going into the waters since "sharks were not vicious" (p. 82). Sharks were deemed to be less a threat to man than horses and dogs.
(b) The Interior.
7. Coppleson applied his theory to many locales around the world, including South Africa, Puerto Rico and _________________.
(a) The United States.
(b) New Zealand.
8. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
(a) The fresh water flushes out all the nutrients in their bodies.
(b) The water is too cold.
(c) They lose the salt balance between their own body and the fresh water.
(d) The water is too warm.
9. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
10. Fisher and fisherman George _________________ made repeated dives into the murky water but could not find Lester.
11. A lunar eclipse would be occurring on July _______ that year.
12. What had drawn the shark?
(a) The splashing of the boys.
(b) The warm water.
(c) The sounds of the boys.
(d) The smell of the boys.
13. Coppleson would one day refer to these attacks as those by the "____________" of New Jersey.
(a) Wild shark.
(b) Mad shark.
(c) Crazy shark.
(d) White shark.
14. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Back pages.
(b) Middle pages.
(c) Second pages.
15. The men thought once the shark was killed, it would do what?
(d) Go out to sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the other boys not believe something hit Renny in the water?
2. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
3. ___________________ of sharks were hunted down and slaughtered.
4. On July ________, 1916, Renny Cartan, Jr., his cousin Johnson Cartan, and some other friends took off for the swimming hole at the nearby creek.
5. What did the shark do to Renny?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)