|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In most cases, white sharks dislike the taste of humans and do what?
(a) Eat them anyway.
(b) Spit them out.
(c) Eat them quickly.
(d) Avoid them.
2. When the attacks stopped, Coppleson took it as what evidence?
(a) The sharks had all been killed.
(b) The sharks were no longer interested in attacking humans.
(c) The attacks were by the same rogue shark that had either died or moved on.
(d) There were less humans in the water.
3. Coppleson felt there was evidence that if a shark experiences killing or mauling humans, he does what?
(a) Goes in search of more human prey.
(b) Becomes very ill.
(c) Never attacks a human again.
(d) Remembers the smell of humans and avoids them.
4. He was finally able to get away from it and was carrying what was left of Lester to the shore when what happened?
(a) The shark attacked again.
(b) The shark started to swim away from him.
(c) He collapsed.
(d) He jumped back into the water to catch the shark.
5. Despite their efforts, what happened to the beaches?
(a) They continued to attract tourists who wanted to see the shark.
(b) They became polluted.
(c) They were abandoned.
(d) They were still very busy.
6. Dr. Sir Victor Coppleson, __________________ surgeon, coined the phrase "rogue shark."
(a) An Australian.
(b) A German.
(c) An English.
(d) A Norwegian.
7. Benjamin Everingham had been instructed to bring a rifle and ax along. Why did he not bring any weapons?
(a) He thought there was no real threat.
(b) He could not find a rifle or ax.
(c) He forgot.
(d) He did not feel comfortable carrying weapons.
8. Men all over the region were reaching for their rifles and harpoons to hunt the beast down and kill it. A _______________ dollar reward was offered by the mayor of Matawan for the person who killed it.
9. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The warehouse.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The school.
(d) The factory.
10. Lucas had sent whom to the scene of the shark attack on Charles Bruder?
(a) Dr. Johnson.
(b) Dr. Neergaard.
(c) Dr. Nichols.
(d) Dr. Smith.
11. What had drawn the shark?
(a) The sounds of the boys.
(b) The smell of the boys.
(c) The warm water.
(d) The splashing of the boys.
12. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(b) Back pages.
(c) Second pages.
(d) Middle pages.
13. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
(a) The water is too warm.
(b) The water is too cold.
(c) The fresh water flushes out all the nutrients in their bodies.
(d) They lose the salt balance between their own body and the fresh water.
14. An influx of salt water to the creek did what?
(a) Confused the shark.
(b) Made the shark ill.
(c) Forced the shark to enter the creek.
(d) It helped give the shark new life.
15. Where was this bay located?
(a) Between Queens and Brooklyn.
(b) Between Manhattan and the Bronx.
(c) Between New Jersey and Manhattan.
(d) Between New Jersey and Staten Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benjamin Everingham doing in the Asbury Avenue beach area?
2. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
3. The men thought once the shark was killed, it would do what?
4. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
5. Why might the shark not have been hungry for a short while?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)