|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boys ran to Stanley Fisher, who was what?
(a) The mayor of the town.
(b) The best swimmer in town.
(c) The strongest man in town.
(d) The bravest man in town.
2. What had drawn the shark?
(a) The warm water.
(b) The splashing of the boys.
(c) The smell of the boys.
(d) The sounds of the boys.
3. How was Fisher able to fight against the shark?
(a) He was an athletically built man.
(b) He was brave.
(c) He was quick.
(d) He was smart.
4. Most of the flesh on Fisher's thigh from his hip to his knee was gone. When a doctor was finally rounded up, he observed that the bone was not severed but his ____________ artery was bleeding profusely.
5. Men all over the region were reaching for their rifles and harpoons to hunt the beast down and kill it. A _______________ dollar reward was offered by the mayor of Matawan for the person who killed it.
6. Nichols still maintained that an orca was responsible for the attacks. He soon realized that what would not accommodate a killer whale?
(a) The temperature of the creek.
(b) The size of the creek.
(c) The fresh water of the creek.
(d) The depth of the creek.
7. The expert and some of his assistants had witnessed sharks first hand and had observed how difficult it was for them to do what?
(a) Find a human scent in the water.
(b) Catch seals.
(c) Tear flesh from dead carcasses.
(d) Tear the flesh of large fish.
8. Despite their efforts, what happened to the beaches?
(a) They were abandoned.
(b) They were still very busy.
(c) They continued to attract tourists who wanted to see the shark.
(d) They became polluted.
9. The shark hunters spotted what and shot at it repeatedly?
(a) A school of fish.
(b) A large fin.
(c) A red spot in the water.
(d) A dark spot in the water.
10. The next morning, retired ______________ Thomas V. Cottrell was walking along the bank of the creek.
(a) Navy Seal.
(b) Army Sergeant.
(c) Sea Captain.
(d) Police Officer.
11. Cottrell did what to warn people about the shark?
(a) He posted a warning as his Facebook status.
(b) He telephoned everyone he knew.
(c) He steered his motorboat up and down the creek.
(d) He posted signs to stay out of the water.
12. Why did the other boys not believe something hit Renny in the water?
(a) He often exaggerated.
(b) They had not seen anything.
(c) They thought he was scraped by a branch.
(d) He always lied.
13. The attack made the ________________ in the newspapers.
(a) Second pages.
(c) Back pages.
(d) Middle pages.
14. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
(a) The water is too warm.
(b) They lose the salt balance between their own body and the fresh water.
(c) The water is too cold.
(d) The fresh water flushes out all the nutrients in their bodies.
15. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coppleson applied his theory to many locales around the world, including South Africa, Puerto Rico and _________________.
2. He was finally able to get away from it and was carrying what was left of Lester to the shore when what happened?
3. A lunar eclipse would be occurring on July _______ that year.
4. ________________ were strapped to the boats as gunmen stood waiting for the shark to surface.
5. This doctor insisted what?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)