|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Renny jumped in the cool, dark waters but soon had what sensation?
(a) A sharp, stabbing pain in his leg.
(b) A sharp, stabbing pain in his side.
(c) A strange sensation tearing across his leg.
(d) A strange sensation tearing across his chest.
2. In 1922, two _____________ were attacked and killed at the same location, Coogee Beach, by large sharks that struck them with such force that they were lifted from the water.
3. _______ Craven, walking along the bank of the creek, had just about given up on the shark when he saw something bobbing in the water. It was Lester.
4. Fisher immediately closed his ____________ shop and ran to the creek.
5. There was a report of a thirteen-foot tiger shark that was towed ashore while still alive regurgitating, among other items, what?
(a) A small school of fish.
(b) A well-preserved human arm.
(c) A squid.
(d) A rubber tire.
6. Lester Stilwell left his job in _________________ and met his friends at the creek.
(a) The warehouse.
(b) The factory.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The school.
7. The next morning, retired ______________ Thomas V. Cottrell was walking along the bank of the creek.
(a) Sea Captain.
(b) Army Sergeant.
(c) Navy Seal.
(d) Police Officer.
8. The reporters had endless questions about what?
(a) Man-eating sharks.
(b) Sea creatures.
(d) Attacks on humans by animals.
9. Where was this bay located?
(a) Between Manhattan and the Bronx.
(b) Between New Jersey and Manhattan.
(c) Between Queens and Brooklyn.
(d) Between New Jersey and Staten Island.
10. The shark withstood the vengeance of man and days enduring life-threatening fresh water and made its way to ______________ Bay.
11. How did Everingham attempt to protect himself?
(a) He struck the shark with one of his oars.
(b) He cowered in the bottom of the boat.
(c) He punched the shark.
(d) He paddled quickly to shore.
12. Coppleson would one day refer to these attacks as those by the "____________" of New Jersey.
(a) Mad shark.
(b) Wild shark.
(c) White shark.
(d) Crazy shark.
13. Why can white sharks not survive in fresh water?
(a) The water is too warm.
(b) They lose the salt balance between their own body and the fresh water.
(c) The fresh water flushes out all the nutrients in their bodies.
(d) The water is too cold.
14. What was wrong with the North Atlantic region for the shark?
(a) It was very warm.
(b) It was very cold.
(c) It had too many animals from which to choose.
(d) It did not offer him many food choices.
15. The man the reporters visited was director of what?
(a) The American Museum of Natural History.
(b) The Sony Wonder Lab.
(c) Liberty Science Center.
(d) The Rose Center.
Short Answer Questions
1. He was finally able to get away from it and was carrying what was left of Lester to the shore when what happened?
2. Suddenly, Joseph was being pulled down by his leg. His brother Michael and a rescuer, Jacob Lefferts, both leaped in the water and tried to wrest Joseph from the shark's mouth. They were able to pull Joseph out and onto whose boat?
3. Despite their efforts, what happened to the beaches?
4. A lunar eclipse would be occurring on July _______ that year.
5. ___________________ of sharks were hunted down and slaughtered.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)