Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________________ miles up the coast from Beach Haven, the New Essex and Sussex Hotel occupied a large piece of real estate on the coast of Spring Lake.
2. What did Dowling swear?
(a) He would never swim again.
(b) He would catch the shark.
(c) He would never swim in the ocean again.
(d) He would help to save those attacked by sharks.
3. After the shark attacked, what had happened to Bruder?
(a) The shark bumped into him.
(b) The shark had bitten off his feet.
(c) The shark had scraped his side.
(d) The shark had bitten his hand.
4. The beach-goers of that year made up the largest gathering in the ____________ to date.
5. Noted _________________ Dr. John Treadwell Nichols was called in to investigate the attack.
6. Successive rows of additional teeth are poised behind the functional teeth, ready to replace them when they are discarded. Every ______________ weeks, a new, serrated set of teeth replaces the current set.
(a) Four or five.
(b) Two or three.
(c) Three or four.
(d) Five or six.
7. Many years later, ichthyologist George Burgess concluded that the shark was a _________, serial killer, but in the rhetoric of the day, the shark was a sea monster.
8. As beach goers ran in to try to pull Charles ashore, the shark with bits of Charles' flesh in his mouth, did what?
(a) Attacked again.
(b) Swam away.
(c) Backed off and seemed to wait.
(d) Went after another swimmer.
9. As Gertrude stroked along parallel to the coastline, what happened to her?
(a) She felt a sharp pain in her side.
(c) She was suddenly attacked by a shark.
(d) She was suddenly pulled under water.
10. The very next day, Gertrude Schuyler, from _________________, and her family were at a resort across from the spot where the shark had killed Charles Vansant.
(a) New York City.
11. Who ordered everyone out of the water?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) The President of the United States.
(c) Hotel lifeguards.
(d) Hotel management.
12. Bruder's injuries and death were recorded and attributed to what?
(a) Fish bite.
(b) Shark bite.
(c) Orca bite.
(d) Unknown sources.
13. The Vansants stayed at the stylish _____________ Hotel, where the upper crust enjoyed their respite.
(a) Eagles Nest.
14. The editorial noted that people had an unnatural ___________ sharks.
(a) Fear of.
(b) Power over.
(c) Anger toward.
(d) Interest in.
15. Beach life had deteriorated in some minds from the many young people visiting, who engaged in what?
(a) Heavy drinking and dancing to suggestive songs.
(b) Gambling and drinking.
(c) Aggressive sporting events.
(d) Dates without chaperones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charles Bruder want to do?
2. The thousands of ________________ that cover their skin aid in their maneuverability and speed.
3. The only known evidence of a shark attack had been what?
4. A sense of ___________________ is felt by the end of the first chapter.
5. Some hotel guests worried about the incident, others were sure the incident had been exaggerated and believed what had happened to the young man?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)