|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dowling swear?
(a) He would never swim again.
(b) He would never swim in the ocean again.
(c) He would help to save those attacked by sharks.
(d) He would catch the shark.
2. _________________ miles up the coast from Beach Haven, the New Essex and Sussex Hotel occupied a large piece of real estate on the coast of Spring Lake.
3. The shark had traveled ____________ miles north from Beach Haven.
4. Dr. Nichols, after viewing Bruder's wounds, concluded what?
(a) The young man's death was caused by the attack of an orca, a killer whale.
(b) The young man's death was caused by the attack of a shark.
(c) The young man's death was caused by the attack of a sea turtle.
(d) The young man's death was caused by the attack of a dolphin.
5. A young man waded out in the Atlantic, his ______________ dog alongside his master.
6. The _______________ Hotel's young bell captain, Charles Bruder, decided to slip away for an afternoon swim.
7. What did Charles Bruder want to do?
(a) He wanted to outdo Dowling's recent swim.
(b) He wanted to catch the shark.
(c) He wanted to swim with the shark.
(d) He wanted to go surfing.
8. The shark stayed in the struggle until when?
(a) It was shot by a man on the beach.
(b) It decided it was full.
(c) It was attacked by those helping Charles.
(d) Its underside was scraping the sand.
9. What did the swimmers do after they learned what danger they had been in?
(a) They decided to go for another swim.
(b) They went looking for the shark.
(c) They ignored the information.
(d) They changed their vacation plans immediately.
10. The thousands of ________________ that cover their skin aid in their maneuverability and speed.
11. The person attempting to pull Charles toward the shore was stopped suddenly by what?
(a) A large wave.
(b) Another person screaming in the water.
(c) The shark had reappeared and was clamped down on Charles' leg.
(d) The shark as it attacked Charles' would-be lifesaver.
12. _______________ staff physician, Dr. William G. Schauffler, completed the official report.
(a) The Governor's.
(b) The hotel manager's.
(c) The Mayor's.
(d) The President's.
13. A shark can smell prey ___________________ away.
(a) A mile.
(b) One hundred feet.
(c) A quarter-mile.
(d) A half-mile.
14. The hotel manager, ___________________, immediately ordered his telephone operators to notify the operators in all the hotels on the north and central coast.
(a) Daniel B. Plickard.
(b) Darrel B. Pickering.
(c) David B. Plumer.
(d) Damian B. Parsons.
15. Newly born white sharks measure up to _______ feet and weigh up to eight-five pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some think had killed Charles Bruder?
2. The beach-goers of that year made up the largest gathering in the ____________ to date.
3. Beach life had deteriorated in some minds from the many young people visiting, who engaged in what?
4. Bruder boasted that he was not afraid of sharks. Why was he not afraid?
5. Eugene and Louisa Vansant did what with their daughters at dusk while their eldest child, Charles, romped with the family dog in the waters off the beach?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)