* A young man swims out in the Atlantic with his dog and is soon alone.
* The Great White is a powerful and well-designed creature.
* The shark that attacked in 1916 was probably eight years old; very little was known about these creatures at this time.
* In July 1891, the luxury yacht, Hildegard, set off on an outing in the Atlantic to prove that sharks were not man-eaters; no one was injured, so they seemed to prove their beliefs correct; later scientists attributed Oelrichs' success to the probability that the sharks were small, non-aggressive species.
* In 1915, a New York Times editorial titled, "Let Us Do Justice To Sharks," cited the fact that twenty-five years had passed since Oelrichs' swim with the sharks and no evidence had come forth of a shark attacking a man.
* The Great White, even in modern times, remains much of a mystery.
* It is too...
This section contains 2,352 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)