|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex do with his glasses when he confronts the jaguar?
(a) Takes them off, then breaks them.
(b) Gives them to Nadia to hold.
(c) Puts them on.
(d) Cleans them to see better.
2. How does Alex save Nadia from the angry Indians?
(a) By arguing in her behalf.
(b) By threatening them.
(c) By playing the flute.
(d) By scaring them with his Tarzan yell.
3. Why were Nadia and Alex not kept under guard by the Indians?
(a) They were too weak to run away.
(b) They wanted them to escape.
(c) They were enchanted.
(d) They had to follow or be lost in the jungle.
4. What is the greatest danger in rock climbing?
(a) Clinging too tightly to the rock.
(b) Looking down.
(c) Pushing away from the rock.
(d) Falling asleep.
5. Why is Alex surprised when he sees Tepuis, the home of the Gods?
(a) It was more beautiful than he expected.
(b) It was cleverly concealed.
(c) It was smaller than he expected.
(d) He had seen it in a dream.
6. What object is the sign of authority in the Indian village?
(a) A pole made from emeralds and quartz.
(b) A jeweled belt.
(c) A yellow feather crown.
(d) A jaguar cape.
7. Arriving at the home of the gods, what mythic character does Alex compare himself to?
8. What keeps Mokarita from being killed when he falls?
(a) A braided liana vine.
(b) Quick thinking.
(c) A ledge.
(d) A root.
9. Who does Alex see in vision?
(a) His father.
(c) Cecilia Burns.
(d) His mother.
10. What brings Nadia the respect of the People of the Mist?
(a) Her amulet given by Walimai.
(b) Her ability to play the flute.
(c) Her friendliness.
(d) Her cheerful disposition.
11. Who is Matuwe?
(a) Mauro Carias' foreman.
(b) The Indian guide.
(c) Ludovid Leblanc's personal servant.
(d) Cesar Santos' daughter.
12. How does Kate overcome Ludovic Leblanc's objection to Nadia coming on the expedition?
(a) Kate hires Nadia as her personal assistant.
(b) Kate refuses to go unless Nadia comes as well.
(c) Kate stages a sit-down strike until Nadia is accepted.
(d) Kate threatens a lawsuit.
13. Why can't the expedition hope for rescue if they start back on foot?
(a) They can't carry enough supplies.
(b) They can't find their way.
(c) They can't walk that far.
(d) They can't be seen under the canopy.
14. Why does Ludovid Leblanc shave with bottled water?
(a) He is afraid of contamination from the logging.
(b) He is afraid of bacteria.
(c) He is afraid of mercury from the gold mining.
(d) He is afraid of microbes.
15. What does Mauro Carias offer to do for Nadia?
(a) Help her to go home.
(b) Become her godfather.
(c) Pay for her education.
(d) Marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual experience does Alex have with the black jaguar?
2. Why do the Mormon missionaries turn back from the expedition?
3. What is a nahab?
4. What killed the men who worked for Mauro Carias?
5. Why is the compass useless in the jungle?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)