|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex hope to get on the trek with Walimai?
(a) New friends.
(b) Medicine for his mother.
(c) Three crystal eggs.
(d) A map back to camp.
2. Why is a watch useless in the jungle?
(a) Time is measured by hunger and satiation.
(b) Time is measured by darkness and light.
(c) Time is measured by dawns, tides, seasons, and rains.
(d) Time is measured by sleeping and waking.
3. What does Mauro Carias offer to do for Nadia?
(a) Become her godfather.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Pay for her education.
(d) Help her to go home.
4. Which two members of the expedition are unafraid when they sense they are being followed?
(a) Ludovic Leblanc and Karakawe.
(b) Kate and Timothy Bruce.
(c) Cesar Santos and Nadia.
(d) Omayra Torres and Alex.
5. What unusual experience does Alex have with the black jaguar?
(a) They speak to each other.
(b) The jaguar purrs when Alex pets him.
(c) The jaguar does not harm him.
(d) They communicate telepathically.
6. What is Kate's advice when she learns of the conspiracy to kill the Indians?
(a) Arm yourselves.
(b) Capture Mauro Carias' representatives.
(c) Watch and wait.
(d) Turn back.
7. What do Alex and Nadia do for the first time in public when they enter the Indian village?
(b) Take off all their clothes.
8. How does Nadia describe the Beast?
(a) Three feet tall with hair that touches the ground.
(b) Nine feet tall with claws like scimitars.
(c) Five feet tall with glowing eyes.
(d) Seven feet tall with fingernails like butcher knives.
9. What past experience caused Alex to feel similar danger?
(a) Climbing El Capitan.
(b) Kayaking the Grand Canyon gorge.
(c) Sky diving with his father.
(d) Being lost in New York.
10. What object is the sign of authority in the Indian village?
(a) A jeweled belt.
(b) A pole made from emeralds and quartz.
(c) A jaguar cape.
(d) A yellow feather crown.
11. What attacks Joel Gonzalez?
(a) A school of piranhas.
(b) An anaconda.
(c) A fresh water shark.
(d) A caiman.
12. Why does Mauro Carias keep a black jaguar imprisoned?
(a) For his personal zoo.
(b) To show to guests.
(c) To sell to Europeans.
(d) To train for the circus.
13. Why does Nadia refuse to stay behind when the expedition departs?
(a) She wants to have an adventure.
(b) She wants to be near her father.
(c) She is afraid of Mauro Carias.
(d) She wants to stay with Alex.
14. What do the Indians believe started life on earth?
(a) A tear falling from a dragon's eye.
(b) A turtle carrying the elixir of life from heaven.
(c) A fountain of living water from a volcano.
(d) A drop of blood falling from the moon.
15. What killed the men who worked for Mauro Carias?
(a) Yellow fever and snakebites.
(b) Malaria and yellow fever.
(c) Gunshot wounds and malaria.
(d) Snakebites and malaria.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people form the expedition at the beginning?
2. What is a papagayo?
3. How does Alex save Nadia from the angry Indians?
4. What does Alex discover for the first time that he likes to eat?
5. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)