|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Mormon missionaries turn back from the expedition?
(a) They have been rejected.
(b) They are both frightened.
(c) They are tired.
(d) They are both sick.
2. What do the Indians believe started life on earth?
(a) A tear falling from a dragon's eye.
(b) A turtle carrying the elixir of life from heaven.
(c) A fountain of living water from a volcano.
(d) A drop of blood falling from the moon.
3. What women are in Mauro Carias' compound?
(a) His cooks.
(b) His personal servants.
(c) His female army officers.
(d) His wife and daughters.
4. Why was Alex disappointed after his rescue of Mokarita?
(a) He failed at the task.
(b) Nadia was not impressed.
(c) No one thanked him.
(d) Mokarita was badly injured.
5. How many languages does Nadia speak?
6. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
(d) An independent spirit.
7. How does Nadia describe the Beast?
(a) Three feet tall with hair that touches the ground.
(b) Five feet tall with glowing eyes.
(c) Seven feet tall with fingernails like butcher knives.
(d) Nine feet tall with claws like scimitars.
8. Why does Mauro Carias keep a black jaguar imprisoned?
(a) For his personal zoo.
(b) To sell to Europeans.
(c) To train for the circus.
(d) To show to guests.
9. How are the People of the Mist described?
(a) Thin and foul-smelling.
(b) Small and sweet-smelling.
(c) Dark and menacing.
(d) Tall and graceful.
10. Who does Alex see in vision?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Cecilia Burns.
11. Which two members of the expedition are unafraid when they sense they are being followed?
(a) Kate and Timothy Bruce.
(b) Ludovic Leblanc and Karakawe.
(c) Cesar Santos and Nadia.
(d) Omayra Torres and Alex.
12. What does Alex say must be conquered before conquering a mountain?
13. What do Alex and Nadia do for the first time in public when they enter the Indian village?
(a) Take off all their clothes.
14. What is the first hint that the Beast is nearby?
(a) His cry.
(b) His laugh.
(c) His footsteps.
(d) His odor.
15. Who is Matuwe?
(a) The Indian guide.
(b) Mauro Carias' foreman.
(c) Cesar Santos' daughter.
(d) Ludovid Leblanc's personal servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes tension among the men on the expedition?
2. Why don't leeches cause pain?
3. What unusual response is considered good manners after a meal in the Indian village?
4. What does Nadia say the jaguar is for Alex?
5. What object is the sign of authority in the Indian village?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)