|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Alex disappointed after his rescue of Mokarita?
(a) He failed at the task.
(b) Mokarita was badly injured.
(c) No one thanked him.
(d) Nadia was not impressed.
2. Why don't leeches cause pain?
(a) They such blood gently.
(b) They are soft.
(c) Their teeth are very thin.
(d) They inject an anesthetic when they bite.
3. Arriving at the home of the gods, what mythic character does Alex compare himself to?
4. What brings Nadia the respect of the People of the Mist?
(a) Her ability to play the flute.
(b) Her friendliness.
(c) Her amulet given by Walimai.
(d) Her cheerful disposition.
5. Why is Alex surprised when he sees Tepuis, the home of the Gods?
(a) He had seen it in a dream.
(b) It was more beautiful than he expected.
(c) It was cleverly concealed.
(d) It was smaller than he expected.
6. What is the jaguar fed?
(a) An iguana.
(b) A side of beef.
(c) A live monkey.
(d) A chihuahua.
7. What does Karakawe claim to be looking for when he is caught going through Omayra Torres' luggage?
(a) A timepiece.
(b) A tarantula.
(c) A lost wallet.
(d) A snake.
8. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
(b) An independent spirit.
9. What is unokaimu?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A dragon-like creature.
(c) A shaman.
(d) A purification rite for those who have killed.
10. What injury does Alex suffer?
(a) A blow to the head from a monkey.
(b) A bite from a fire ant.
(c) A twisted ankle.
(d) A fall from a cliff.
11. Which two members of the expedition are unafraid when they sense they are being followed?
(a) Ludovic Leblanc and Karakawe.
(b) Omayra Torres and Alex.
(c) Kate and Timothy Bruce.
(d) Cesar Santos and Nadia.
12. What is a nahab?
(a) A jaguar.
(b) A photographer.
(c) An Amazon native.
(d) A foreigner.
13. How does Nadia describe the Beast?
(a) Three feet tall with hair that touches the ground.
(b) Five feet tall with glowing eyes.
(c) Seven feet tall with fingernails like butcher knives.
(d) Nine feet tall with claws like scimitars.
14. What kind of death does Kate say is preferable to others?
(a) Dying peacefully at home.
(b) Being murdered.
(c) Falling from a waterfall.
(d) A heart attack.
15. How many people form the expedition at the beginning?
(a) Seven adults and 1 child.
(b) Thirteen adults and two children.
(c) Five adults and two children.
(d) Fifteen adults and four children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a papagayo?
2. What causes tension among the men on the expedition?
3. What does Mauro Carias offer to do for Nadia?
4. What is the greatest danger in rock climbing?
5. Why can't the expedition hope for rescue if they start back on foot?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)