|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poster does Juan once draw?
2. What are the Pampas?
3. What color are the spots on the animal Pedro sees?
4. What news travels fast in the area?
5. How many farms are grouped into a large estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do gauchos eat when they get together?
2. What do many people think about the mayordomo's demand and what does Juan think?
3. What does the Vaquero suggest about the situation with Chúcaro?
4. Who is the mayordomo to whom Juan is accountable?
5. What do Juan, Carlos and Pedro note about the Pizzetti family and what do the three do?
6. What does Jose think is the reason Juan wears a red kerchief?
7. What kerchief does Juan decide to wear and why?
8. Why are people hurrying home from church?
9. Who comes to see Chúcaro?
10. What does the Vaquero say that angers the mayordomo and what is the reaction of those listening to the Vaquero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Chucaro, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Chucaro. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Chucaro help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Chucaro? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Chucaro to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
The Vaquero, Pedro's irresponsible but affable father, reports about the mayordomo's plans to acquire Chúcaro for Armando. But Juan is furious and Pedro despondent at the mayordomo's proposed action. Juan decides to draw a line in the sand and resist. Mr. Pizetti suggests that Juan could be forced to give Chúcaro up on pain of perhaps losing his job.
1. Why do you think the poor workers on the ranches allow the owners to control so much of their lives? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Juan drawing the line and resisting might help others who run into the same type of situation? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the reasons Argentina's government might have for allowing the Mayordomos and the ranch owners to have so much power over the peasants. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)