|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Juan's singing voice like?
2. Why does Juan throw something to Pedrito?
3. What type of meat do gauchos eat?
4. How old is Pedro?
5. What is maté?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an estancia?
2. Who does the estanciero leave the decision-making up to and why?
3. What does the mayordomo know and what does he not yet know?
4. What happens after Armando's bola strikes Chúcaro?
5. What is the result of Juan's being fired?
6. Who is Gitana and how does she help Chúcaro?
7. What does the Vaquero say that angers the mayordomo and what is the reaction of those listening to the Vaquero?
8. What is Juan's relationship to Pedro?
9. What is Armando doing when Pedro brings Chúcaro to the corral?
10. What is Señor Muñez's response to what the mayordomo tells him about Chúcaro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chucaro belongs to the children's book novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the children's book novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a children's book novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Chucaro help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Chucaro? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Chucaro to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Chucaro is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)