|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what material is Juan's home made?
2. What does Pedro do successfully with his father?
3. Who often gets together to eat and talk?
4. What do some people think Juan has captured?
5. How was the table in Juan's home made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said about Armando being spoiled and how is that demonstrated when Armando greets the mayordomo?
2. What is an estanciero and what does the estanciero do?
3. What is an estancia?
4. What are the gauchos doing at the opening to Chapter 11?
5. What does Armando do after his second lasso attempt?
6. What does the Vaquero say about the upcoming patrón's visit?
7. How do Pedro and Juan disagree about Chúcaro?
8. What does Maria think about Juan and his red kerchief?
9. What is Juan's response to the first lasso attempt and why is the second lasso attempt delayed?
10. Briefly describe Pedro.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Chucaro? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Chucaro including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Chucaro and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Chucaro is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Chucaro based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Chucaro is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus children's books? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Chucaro a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)