|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a casita?
2. What is the most important postcard Juan has?
3. Who remembers the postcard in Juan's home?
4. What type of vegetables do gauchos eat?
5. What animal does Pedro see at the opening of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mystery is discussed in Chapter 9?
2. How does Armando do on the first lasso attempt and what is the people's reaction?
3. Briefly describe Pedro's father.
4. What postcards does Juan have?
5. What does the Vaquero say when he arrives at the Pizzettis' home?
6. What does the narrator say about the average estanciero and about Señor Muñez in particular?
7. What is Juan's response to the first lasso attempt and why is the second lasso attempt delayed?
8. What does the Vaquero say that angers the mayordomo and what is the reaction of those listening to the Vaquero?
9. What is the most important postcard Juan has?
10. What do the gauchos love to do when they gather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Chucaro. Questions that Kalnay most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Kalnay' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Kalnay' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Kalnay and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Chucaro interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Pedro. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Juan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of the Mayodomo. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Francis Kalnay.
2. What in Kalnay's background may have helped him in writing Chucaro? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)