|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mystery is discussed at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Juan's kerchief.
(b) The missing donkey.
(c) Some missing sheep.
2. How often does Juan go to village dances?
(c) Twice a month.
3. What does Juan tend to do when not working?
(a) Helps his neighbors.
(b) Stays at home and sings old gaucho songs.
(c) Makes baskets.
(d) Weaves blankets.
4. From where does Pedro listen to Juan?
(a) Lying in the hayloft.
(b) Lying next to Chúcaro.
(c) Sitting on Juan's porch steps.
(d) On Chúcaro's back.
5. Where is this story set?
(a) In the plains of the Dakotas of the United States.
(b) In Brazil.
(c) Between the Andes and the Atlantic Ocean.
(d) In Central America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a poster on Juan's wall depict?
2. Why do the people on the ranch gossip about Juan?
3. Who are Pedro's gaucho friends?
4. Where does the land owner of a large group of farms often stay?
5. Who is Juan to Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an estanciero and what does the estanciero do?
2. What does a mayordomo do?
3. Who is the mayordomo to whom Juan is accountable?
4. How does Chúcaro react to being left in the corral by Pedro and what reassures the horse?
5. What does Mr. Pizetti point out to the group about the law?
6. Explain what is said about Juan's kerchiefs.
7. What does the Vaquero say about the upcoming patrón's visit?
8. What mystery is discussed in Chapter 9?
9. What do many people think about the mayordomo's demand and what does Juan think?
10. What does Pedro want his father to do?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)