|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy who grasps at the Spirit's robe?
2. What does Scrooge notice is changing about the Spirit as they make their way through the Christmas celebrations?
3. What does the third Spirit say to Scrooge when he sees him?
4. Which of the following best describes the laundress that Scrooge sees in town?
5. When Scrooge is returned to his bedroom, what does he wake up clutching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
2. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
3. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
4. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
5. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
6. What question did Scrooge have for the third Spirit when they were standing in the cemetery?
7. What is significant about the appearance of the second spirit?
8. How are the Cratchit family responding to the death of Tiny Tim?
9. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
10. What are the businessmen in the stock exchange discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
Essay Topic 2
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the novel, Ebenezer Scrooge's character has gone through an enormous transformation. While his nephew Fred is quite happy with his change, most people in the town are skeptical. Compare / contrast the two views of Scrooge's transformation. Who do you side with, Fred or the townspeople? What examples are given in the text to support whether or not Scrooge's change will be long-lasting?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)