|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Spirit say that the children belong to?
2. What has changed about the Cratchit family during the visit with the third Spirit?
3. What feeling floods Scrooge when he meets the third Spirit?
4. How does the crowd respond to Fred's wishing of Scrooge's Christmas?
5. What part of Tim's body does not work properly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
2. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
3. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
4. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
5. How are the Cratchit family responding to the death of Tiny Tim?
6. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
7. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
8. What is the state of Tiny Tim?
9. What is significant about the appearance of the second spirit?
10. What toast does Bob Cratchit give to Scrooge, and how does his family respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)