|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the Christmas toast in the Cratchit home?
2. Where is Scrooge when he realizes that in the future he will be dead?
3. Which of the following best describes the laundress that Scrooge sees in town?
4. What does Scrooge do after he sees the name on the tombstone?
5. What is the name of the third Spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scrooge react to the arrival of the third Spirit?
2. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
3. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
4. How do the party-goers respond to Fred's opinion of his uncle?
5. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
6. What is the state of Tiny Tim?
7. What clings to the robe of the second spirit?
8. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
9. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
10. What are the businessmen in the stock exchange discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
Essay Topic 2
In the end of the novel, Ebenezer Scrooge's character has gone through an enormous transformation. While his nephew Fred is quite happy with his change, most people in the town are skeptical. Compare / contrast the two views of Scrooge's transformation. Who do you side with, Fred or the townspeople? What examples are given in the text to support whether or not Scrooge's change will be long-lasting?
Essay Topic 3
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the third spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)