|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scrooge promise to honor, from the bottom of his heart?
2. In what type of establishment does Scrooge see the laundress?
3. How does the crowd respond to Fred's wishing of Scrooge's Christmas?
4. Who asks the Spirit if these events are the things that "Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?"
5. At what time does the Spirit leave Scrooge?
Essay Topic 1
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)