|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy who grasps at the Spirit's robe?
2. What is the name of the girl who grasps at the Spirit's robe?
3. What is the general emotion surrounding the death of the man in town?
4. How long does the Spirit say that his earthly life will last?
5. How does Bob Cratchit carry around Tiny Tim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
2. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
3. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
4. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
5. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
6. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
7. What is the state of Tiny Tim?
8. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
9. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
10. What toast does Bob Cratchit give to Scrooge, and how does his family respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
Essay Topic 3
Is this novel a comedy, or a tragedy? How does humor work throughout the novel? How does emotion? Which of the two seems to be a stronger force throughout the novel? Finally, do you think that the tone of the novel worked for the themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)