|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the cemetery, what part of the Spirit shrinks and collapses?
2. What type of men are discussing the death?
3. How do the Cratchit children respond to Christmas?
4. In response to the death in the family, which character reacts generously to the family?
5. What does the Cratchit family believe about the death of their family member?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fred's opinion of his uncle Scrooge?
2. How are the Cratchit family responding to the death of Tiny Tim?
3. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
4. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
5. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
6. What question did Scrooge have for the third Spirit when they were standing in the cemetery?
7. What does Scrooge witness at the pawnshop?
8. How do the party-goers respond to Fred's opinion of his uncle?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his time with the three visitors, Scrooge saw many things. Which event do you think had the most impact on his character? Describe the scene and theorize why you think it so deeply affected Scrooge's character more than any of the other scenes.
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the second spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)