|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the third Spirit?
2. Who does the Spirit say that the children belong to?
3. When Scrooge is returned to his bedroom, what does he wake up clutching?
4. What is Tim's attitude to being ill?
5. What instrument is being played at Fred's Christmas party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
2. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
3. What toast does Bob Cratchit give to Scrooge, and how does his family respond?
4. What is the state of Tiny Tim?
5. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
6. What question did Scrooge have for the third Spirit when they were standing in the cemetery?
7. How does Scrooge react to the arrival of the third Spirit?
8. What does Scrooge witness at the pawnshop?
9. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
10. What is significant about the appearance of the second spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles Dickens spends much effort in setting the mood of the story through his descriptions of the place and weather. Compare / contrast the mood at the beginning of the novel with the mood at the end of the novel. What descriptions have changed? How does the mood of the novel reflect the mood of Ebenezer Scrooge?
Essay Topic 2
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)