|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose name is the Christmas toast given?
2. What is the name on the tombstone that Scrooge finds himself at?
3. Who says the line "Let me see some tenderness connected with a death" ?
4. Who does Scrooge decide that he would like to catch a glimpse of now that he has recognized that he is seeing the future?
5. Which of the following best describes the death of the man in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
2. What is Fred's opinion of his uncle Scrooge?
3. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
4. What does Scrooge witness at the pawnshop?
5. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
6. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
7. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
8. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
Essay Topic 3
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)