|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the death of the man in town?
2. What name do the men give to the man who has died?
3. Why is the family that Scrooge visits so happy to hear of the death of the dead man?
4. What does Scrooge promise to honor, from the bottom of his heart?
5. What is the name of the boy who grasps at the Spirit's robe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the appearance of the second spirit?
2. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
3. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
4. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
5. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
6. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
7. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
8. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
9. What question did Scrooge have for the third Spirit when they were standing in the cemetery?
10. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the first visitor, Scrooge is forced to relive the memories of his childhood.
Part 1.) Describe one of the memories that Scrooge relived.
Part 2.) Explain the significance of that event in shaping that man that Scrooge became.
Part 3.) Describe how you believe reliving this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)