|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general emotion surrounding the death of the man in town?
2. Who asks the Spirit if these events are the things that "Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?"
3. What does the third Spirit say to Scrooge when he sees him?
4. How do the Cratchit children respond to Christmas?
5. Who does Scrooge decide that he would like to catch a glimpse of now that he has recognized that he is seeing the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
2. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
3. How do the party-goers respond to Fred's opinion of his uncle?
4. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
5. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
6. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
7. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
8. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
9. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
10. What are the businessmen in the stock exchange discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the first visitor, Scrooge is forced to relive the memories of his childhood.
Part 1.) Describe one of the memories that Scrooge relived.
Part 2.) Explain the significance of that event in shaping that man that Scrooge became.
Part 3.) Describe how you believe reliving this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)