|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the death of the man in town?
2. What name do the men give to the man who has died?
3. What type of Christmas does Scrooge overhear Fred wishing him?
4. What did the businessmen wonder about the dead man's funeral?
5. Who does Fred claim is being harmed by Scrooge's attitude?
Essay Topic 1
There are many character throughout the novel that have particular relationships with the Christmas holiday. Choose one character who you believe most embodies the holiday spirit, and explain the impact that this character has on the events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Charles Dickens spends much effort in setting the mood of the story through his descriptions of the place and weather. Compare / contrast the mood at the beginning of the novel with the mood at the end of the novel. What descriptions have changed? How does the mood of the novel reflect the mood of Ebenezer Scrooge?
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)