|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does the Spirit leave Scrooge?
2. What does the third Spirit say to Scrooge when he sees him?
3. How does Scrooge feel about the party that Fred is holding on Christmas?
4. When Scrooge is returned to his bedroom, what does he wake up clutching?
5. Where do Scrooge and the third Spirit overhear the first conversation about death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
2. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
3. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
4. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
5. What toast does Bob Cratchit give to Scrooge, and how does his family respond?
6. How are the Cratchit family responding to the death of Tiny Tim?
7. What clings to the robe of the second spirit?
8. How does Scrooge react to the arrival of the third Spirit?
9. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
10. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles Dickens spends much effort in setting the mood of the story through his descriptions of the place and weather. Compare / contrast the mood at the beginning of the novel with the mood at the end of the novel. What descriptions have changed? How does the mood of the novel reflect the mood of Ebenezer Scrooge?
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the first spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)