|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before his second visitor, how does Scrooge wake himself?
2. In the streets of London, who does the Spirit sprinkle a mysterious water on?
3. What does Scrooge see in all the Christmases that he visited with the Spirit?
4. How does Bob Cratchit carry around Tiny Tim?
5. What does Scrooge ask the Spirit to be quick to share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
2. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
3. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
4. What are the businessmen in the stock exchange discussing?
5. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
6. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
7. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
8. What is the state of Tiny Tim?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What other Christmases does the second Spirit take Scrooge to witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the second spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 2
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, the reader is introduces to Bob Cratchit and his relationship with Ebenezer Scrooge.
Part 1.) Compare/contrast the two men as they are presented in the beginning of the novel
Part 2.) Explain the working relationship between the two men.
Part 3.) Briefly theorize why Bob Cratchit chose to continue working in this environment.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)