|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In response to the death in the family, which character reacts generously to the family?
2. What is Tim's attitude to being ill?
3. In the cemetery, what part of the Spirit shrinks and collapses?
4. Whose home does the second visitor first take Scrooge to?
5. What has changed about the Cratchit family during the visit with the third Spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is striking about the appearance of the third spirit?
2. What are the businessmen in the stock exchange discussing?
3. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
4. What is significant about the appearance of the second spirit?
5. How does Scrooge react to the arrival of the third Spirit?
6. What question did Scrooge have for the third Spirit when they were standing in the cemetery?
7. What happens when Scrooge awakens thinking he will soon see the second visitor?
8. How does Scrooge react to the music and the games of Fred's Christmas party?
9. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
10. What clings to the robe of the second spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his time with the three visitors, Scrooge saw many things. Which event do you think had the most impact on his character? Describe the scene and theorize why you think it so deeply affected Scrooge's character more than any of the other scenes.
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the third spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)