|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To pass time while he was alone during the holiday season, what does Scrooge imagine that he has?
2. What is the state of Jacob Marley at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Dickens say does not affect Scrooge?
4. Where does Scrooge see the face of Jacob Marley?
5. What meal is Scrooge invited to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge think when he awakens at midnight?
2. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
3. What is the appearance of Jacob Marley when he visits Scrooge in his bedroom?
4. What does Marley beckon Scrooge to see outside his bedroom window and how does Scrooge react?
5. Who is Belle?
6. What happened to Scrooge immediately after Marley left?
7. What unusual thing does Scrooge see on the front door to his home?
8. What does Scrooge see in the scene involving his old boss?
9. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
10. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the second spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, the reader is introduces to Bob Cratchit and his relationship with Ebenezer Scrooge.
Part 1.) Compare/contrast the two men as they are presented in the beginning of the novel
Part 2.) Explain the working relationship between the two men.
Part 3.) Briefly theorize why Bob Cratchit chose to continue working in this environment.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)