|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scrooge feel about the Christmas Season?
2. How many visitors does Marley say will come to Scrooge in the night?
3. After Jacob Marley leaves him, what time does Scrooge wake from sleep?
4. What does the spirit regretfully tell Scrooge about Fan?
5. What holiday is being celebrated when the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is London described in the opening of the novel?
2. Who is Belle?
3. What does Scrooge see in the scene involving his old boss?
4. What is the appearance of Jacob Marley when he visits Scrooge in his bedroom?
5. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
6. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
7. What is the conversation that transpires between Bob Cratchit and Scrooge about time off from work?
8. What does Scrooge overhear Belle and her husband discussing, and how does he react?
9. What happens in the scene with Fan?
10. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of seeing spirits is one that requires a certain amount of faith. Do you believe that the spirits were physically present in Scrooge's room, or was he simply dreaming? What evidence do you have from the text to support your belief? Is the physical presence of the spirits important to the changes in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the third spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)