|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Scrooge do in order to be taken back to his home?
2. What is significant about the countryside that Scrooge and the spirit visit?
3. What is flowing from the head of the first guest that he covers by wearing a cap?
4. After Jacob Marley leaves him, what time does Scrooge wake from sleep?
5. As Scrooge witnesses the various scenes of his childhood, what seems to be slipping away from him as he grows older?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge promise to the Spirit in exchange for a chance to change his fate?
2. How does the first spirit take Scrooge back in time?
3. How does Scrooge react when he wakes up on Christmas morning?
4. What does Scrooge promise to Bob on the day after Christmas?
5. What does Jacob Marley inform Scrooge will happen over the course of the next few nights?
6. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
7. What is the conversation that transpires between Bob Cratchit and Scrooge about time off from work?
8. How does Scrooge treat Tiny Tim after Christmas?
9. What does the Spirit inform Scrooge is the fate of Tiny Tim?
10. What happens in the scene with Fan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
Essay Topic 2
With the first visitor, Scrooge is forced to relive the memories of his childhood.
Part 1.) Describe one of the memories that Scrooge relived.
Part 2.) Explain the significance of that event in shaping that man that Scrooge became.
Part 3.) Describe how you believe reliving this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,756 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)