Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many visitors does Marley say will come to Scrooge in the night?
2. How much time does Scrooge allow his employee to take off for the holiday?
3. What does the figure of Scrooge's first guest resemble?
4. What is Scrooge's first name?
5. What does the first guest say that he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
2. With what famous quote does the novel end and why is it important?
3. What happens in the scene with Fan?
4. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
5. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
6. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
7. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
8. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his time with the three visitors, Scrooge saw many things. Which event do you think had the most impact on his character? Describe the scene and theorize why you think it so deeply affected Scrooge's character more than any of the other scenes.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel a comedy, or a tragedy? How does humor work throughout the novel? How does emotion? Which of the two seems to be a stronger force throughout the novel? Finally, do you think that the tone of the novel worked for the themes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)