|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Scrooge is touched by the spirit, what ability does he have?
2. What literary character does Scrooge imagine that he is friends with as a young boy?
3. What does Belle claim has corrupted Scrooge?
4. What is the state of Jacob Marley at the beginning of the book?
5. Who stops by to invite Scrooge to a meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
2. What does the Ghost of Christmas Past look like?
3. What happened to Scrooge immediately after Marley left?
4. What is the appearance of Jacob Marley when he visits Scrooge in his bedroom?
5. What is the conversation that transpires between Bob Cratchit and Scrooge about time off from work?
6. What does Jacob Marley inform Scrooge will happen over the course of the next few nights?
7. When Scrooge realizes that it is midnight and not noon, why does he vow to stay awake?
8. What unusual thing does Scrooge see on the front door to his home?
9. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
10. How did Belle's life turn out after her time with Scrooge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many character throughout the novel that have particular relationships with the Christmas holiday. Choose one character who you believe most embodies the holiday spirit, and explain the impact that this character has on the events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
Essay Topic 3
Charles Dickens spends much effort in setting the mood of the story through his descriptions of the place and weather. Compare / contrast the mood at the beginning of the novel with the mood at the end of the novel. What descriptions have changed? How does the mood of the novel reflect the mood of Ebenezer Scrooge?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)