Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many visitors does Marley say will come to Scrooge in the night?
2. How much time does Scrooge allow his employee to take off for the holiday?
3. What does the figure of Scrooge's first guest resemble?
4. What is Scrooge's first name?
5. What does the first guest say that he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
2. With what famous quote does the novel end and why is it important?
3. What happens in the scene with Fan?
4. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
5. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
6. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
7. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
8. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the third spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Is this novel a comedy, or a tragedy? How does humor work throughout the novel? How does emotion? Which of the two seems to be a stronger force throughout the novel? Finally, do you think that the tone of the novel worked for the themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)