|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickens say does not affect Scrooge?
2. What are the men who are collecting money on Christmas Eve, using the money for?
3. Who is Fan?
4. Who stops by to invite Scrooge to a meal?
5. What is Scrooge's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge see in the first scene from his childhood?
2. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
3. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
4. What does the Ghost of Christmas Past look like?
5. When Scrooge realizes that it is midnight and not noon, why does he vow to stay awake?
6. Who is Belle?
7. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
8. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
9. How did Belle's life turn out after her time with Scrooge?
10. What does Marley beckon Scrooge to see outside his bedroom window and how does Scrooge react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)