|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scrooge see the face of Jacob Marley?
2. As children, how did Fan and Scrooge travel from the school back home?
3. How does Scrooge feel about the way that people see him?
4. What does Scrooge eat a bowl of in front of the fire before he receives his first visitor?
5. How is the aura of Scrooge's first visitor described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Scrooge immediately after Marley left?
2. What unusual thing does Scrooge see on the front door to his home?
3. How does the first spirit take Scrooge back in time?
4. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
5. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
6. What does Scrooge overhear Belle and her husband discussing, and how does he react?
7. What is the conversation that transpires between Bob Cratchit and Scrooge about time off from work?
8. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
9. How did Belle's life turn out after her time with Scrooge?
10. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
Essay Topic 2
Before the arrival of the three spirits, Jacob Marley came to visit Scrooge. First, explain the significance of Jacob Marley's visit. Then explain why Marley's presence was important before the arrival of the three spirits. Finally, discuss if you think the story would have been as effective if Dickens had left Marley out completely, and simply focused on the three spirits.
Essay Topic 3
There are many character throughout the novel that have particular relationships with the Christmas holiday. Choose one character who you believe most embodies the holiday spirit, and explain the impact that this character has on the events in the novel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)