|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the weather on the day Scrooge is introduced?
2. What are the men who are collecting money on Christmas Eve, using the money for?
3. How many visitors does Marley say will come to Scrooge in the night?
4. How does Scrooge respond to seeing the countryside?
5. What does Scrooge seize from the first spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
2. How is London described in the opening of the novel?
3. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
4. What does Scrooge overhear Belle and her husband discussing, and how does he react?
5. What does Marley beckon Scrooge to see outside his bedroom window and how does Scrooge react?
6. How did Belle's life turn out after her time with Scrooge?
7. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
8. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
9. What does Scrooge see in the first scene from his childhood?
10. Who is Belle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take some time to compare / contrast the three main spirits that come to visit Scrooge. What is the same about them? What is different? Why do you think it was important that Scrooge meet all three of them, rather than just one?
Essay Topic 2
With the second visitor, Scrooge was taken to see the ways that people in his community celebrate Christmas.
Part 1.) Describe one scene that Scrooge witnessed on Christmas Day.
Part 2.) Describe Scrooge's reaction to this scene. Was there anything interesting / unexpected in his response?
Part 3.) Describe how you believe witnessing this event prompted the change in Scrooge's character at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the novel, Ebenezer Scrooge's character has gone through an enormous transformation. While his nephew Fred is quite happy with his change, most people in the town are skeptical. Compare / contrast the two views of Scrooge's transformation. Who do you side with, Fred or the townspeople? What examples are given in the text to support whether or not Scrooge's change will be long-lasting?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)