|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scrooge feel about the Christmas Season?
2. Why is the time that Scrooge wakes up significant?
3. What meal is Scrooge invited to in Chapter 1?
4. What is the first mysterious sound that Scrooge hears?
5. What does Scrooge tell his employee to do in exchange for his time off for the holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first spirit take Scrooge back in time?
2. What does Scrooge think when he awakens at midnight?
3. What does the Ghost of Christmas Past look like?
4. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
5. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
6. How did Belle's life turn out after her time with Scrooge?
7. What is the appearance of Jacob Marley when he visits Scrooge in his bedroom?
8. What happens in the scene with Fan?
9. What does Belle notice that has changed about Scrooge, and how does she react?
10. What does Jacob Marley inform Scrooge will happen over the course of the next few nights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Scrooge is with his second visitor, he is exposed to the two children that cling to the Spirit's robe. First, describe the two children and the symbolism behind their names. Second, explain the significance of Scrooge's reaction to seeing the two children and the response that the Spirit gives to his question about who will care for them.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Is this novel a comedy, or a tragedy? How does humor work throughout the novel? How does emotion? Which of the two seems to be a stronger force throughout the novel? Finally, do you think that the tone of the novel worked for the themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)