|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Marley similar to when he was alive?
2. How is the man for whom Scrooge apprenticed described?
3. How is it signaled to Scrooge that there is a visitor in his room?
4. What type of visitors does Marley tell Scrooge to expect?
5. As Scrooge witnesses the various scenes of his childhood, what seems to be slipping away from him as he grows older?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge think when he awakens at midnight?
2. What does the Ghost of Christmas Past look like?
3. What is the appearance of Jacob Marley when he visits Scrooge in his bedroom?
4. How is London described in the opening of the novel?
5. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
6. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
7. Who is Belle?
8. What happens in the scene with Fan?
9. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
10. What unusual thing does Scrooge see on the front door to his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the first spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 2
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the third spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare / contrast the two times that Tiny Tim said the words "God bless us, every one." What does this quote mean? What were the two different contexts in which he stated this? Which time of use was more powerful to you as a reader?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)