|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spirit regretfully tell Scrooge about Fan?
2. What does Scrooge seize from the first spirit?
3. How is Scrooge described during his time with the first spirit?
4. What does Marley say about his own spirit?
5. What does Scrooge tell his employee to do in exchange for his time off for the holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Ghost of Christmas Past look like?
2. Who is Belle?
3. What does Marley beckon Scrooge to see outside his bedroom window and how does Scrooge react?
4. What does Scrooge think when he awakens at midnight?
5. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
6. What happens in the scene with Fan?
7. Why is Scrooge's workplace so cold?
8. What does Jacob Marley inform Scrooge will happen over the course of the next few nights?
9. How does Scrooge react to the scenes from his childhood in the countryside?
10. What does Scrooge see in the first scene from his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were three spirits that came to visit Scrooge. Describe the second spirit and what he symbolized. What did he take Scrooge to see? How did his visit affect the change in Scrooge's character?
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapter, the reader is introduces to Bob Cratchit and his relationship with Ebenezer Scrooge.
Part 1.) Compare/contrast the two men as they are presented in the beginning of the novel
Part 2.) Explain the working relationship between the two men.
Part 3.) Briefly theorize why Bob Cratchit chose to continue working in this environment.
Essay Topic 3
Charles Dickens spends much effort in setting the mood of the story through his descriptions of the place and weather. Compare / contrast the mood at the beginning of the novel with the mood at the end of the novel. What descriptions have changed? How does the mood of the novel reflect the mood of Ebenezer Scrooge?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)