Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many visitors does Marley say will come to Scrooge in the night?
2. How much time does Scrooge allow his employee to take off for the holiday?
3. What does the figure of Scrooge's first guest resemble?
4. What is Scrooge's first name?
5. What does the first guest say that he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jacob Marley, and what does the reader learn about him right away?
2. With what famous quote does the novel end and why is it important?
3. What happens in the scene with Fan?
4. What does Scrooge see when he enters the cemetery?
5. What does Scrooge see approaching him as the second Spirit leaves him and how does he react?
6. What does Scrooge see when he visits the family eating dinner at the table?
7. What is the Spirit's response to Scrooge's question regarding help for the two children?
8. What response did the community give to the Cratchit family following the death of Tiny Tim?
9. What is Scrooge's response to the things that he sees in the cemetery?
10. What has changed about the Cratchit family when Scrooge is taken to revisit them?
Take some time to compare / contrast the three main spirits that come to visit Scrooge. What is the same about them? What is different? Why do you think it was important that Scrooge meet all three of them, rather than just one?
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
By the end of the novel, Scrooge has made many changes in character.
Part 1.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2.) Describe the man that Scrooge is at the end of the novel.
Part 3.) Describe the way that you own opinion of Scrooge as a character progressed as you read the novel.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)