|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To pass time while he was alone during the holiday season, what does Scrooge imagine that he has?
2. What word best describes the weather on the day Scrooge is introduced?
3. Which word best describes Scrooge?
4. What is flowing from the head of the first guest that he covers by wearing a cap?
5. What must Marley carry around with his spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scrooge see in the scene involving his old boss?
2. What is the conversation that transpires between Bob Cratchit and Scrooge about time off from work?
3. What happened to Scrooge immediately after Marley left?
4. What does Scrooge overhear Belle and her husband discussing, and how does he react?
5. What other unusual sights and sounds plague Scrooge as he enters his home?
6. What does Jacob Marley inform Scrooge will happen over the course of the next few nights?
7. Who is Belle?
8. Who are the two men that come to Scrooge's door, and what do they ask of him?
9. When Scrooge realizes that it is midnight and not noon, why does he vow to stay awake?
10. What does Scrooge think when he awakens at midnight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wealth seems to be a very important element in this novel.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast the characters who have money in the novel with those who do not. Which are seen in a more positive light? What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the way that Scrooge views money at the beginning of the novel with the way that he views money at the end of the novel. What does this tell you about the way that Dickens views money?
Part 3.) Compare / contrast the two different ways that Dickens seems to be presenting his theme of wealth. When you reached the end of the novel, what do you think Dickens' overarching message about money to his reader is?
Essay Topic 2
The symbolism of the chains that Jacob Marley is forced to carry around with him is particularly significant. Describe the physical description of the chains, and explain why the items that Jacob Marley must carry with him are significant to his life. Finally, explain why these items were used as a warning to Ebenezer Scrooge.
Essay Topic 3
Is this novel a comedy, or a tragedy? How does humor work throughout the novel? How does emotion? Which of the two seems to be a stronger force throughout the novel? Finally, do you think that the tone of the novel worked for the themes? Why or why not?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)