• Chapter One opens with the reader being informed that Jacob Marley, Ebenezer Scrooge's old business partner, is dead.
• Ebenezer Scrooge is introduced as a cold and miserly man. It is explained the Scrooge has been miserly for most of his life and that he seems comfortable with this characterization.
• The reader first sees Scrooge in the company of his employee, Bob Cratchit. The two men are working in their office, which is cold because Scrooge refuses to pay for more coal.
• Scrooge's nephew, Fred, arrives full of the Christmas spirit and invites his uncle to come and celebrate Christmas at his annual dinner party. Scrooge responds with rounds of "Bah Humbug!" and renounces Fred for his love of the holiday.
• Soon after Fred leaves, two portly men arrive at the door asking Scrooge for holiday donations to charity. Even though Scrooge has plenty of money, he refuses...
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)