|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city does the Filipino king send the mandarins to begin their search for the golden needle?
(b) The City of Gold
(c) Mexico City
(d) Bay of Manila
2. What drives the Wild Man to hysterics while he is in the jail?
(a) being locked up for three days straight
(b) severe homesickness
(c) not being able to speak with the authorities
(d) The Border Patrol is sending him back.
3. How does Sao rid himself of his mother's ghost?
(a) Sao doesn't ever rid himself of the criticizing ghost and he goes mad, becoming known as Mad Sao.
(b) Sao takes a cruise boat back to China and performs the traditional funeral rituals at her graveside.
(c) Sao repeatedly demands that his Mother return home to China, and her ghost disappears.
(d) Sao locks her in the dark shed at the grandfathers' old house.
4. What happens that begins Father's most dismal time in "The American Father"?
(a) MaMa has an accident at the cannery and dies.
(b) The children get out of control, and Father beats his daughter with a hangar.
(c) MaMa shames him into taking a low-wage laborer job.
(d) The Gambling house is raided and closed permanently.
5. What does Kingston notice about the Wild Man as shown in the photos of his capture appearing in the newspaper?
(a) The Wild Man's hair and beard were extremely long, because he was unable to groom himself in the swamp.
(b) The men in cowboy hats that escorted him out of the swamp appeared to have given quite a fight against the Wild Man.
(c) The Wild Man was crying as his captors led him out of the swamp.
(d) The Wild Man was neat and clean and did not act wild or fight his captors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the game officer that first spots the Wild Man in the Green Swamp know that what he sees is not a bear?
2. To what does Kingston refer with the metaphor "the living night"?
3. What does the Wild Man do on the night he learns that the Border Patrol is sending him back?
4. Why is Kingston confused about the story of the gold needle in a mountain in the Philippines?
5. What does Kingston hear from her schoolmates that makes her long to be normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why members of the freighter's crew try to send their shipmate to China and describe the Wild Man's response at the airport.
2. Explain why the Hundred-Year-Old Man's answer about how to stop the war in Vietnam is so simple.
3. What is the significance of the last line in "The Hundred-Year-Old Man"?
4. Describe the relationship between Lo Bun Sun and Sing Kay Ng.
5. What does Lo Bun Sun's constant work and preparation suggest about his character?
6. Summarize Kingston's childhood account of seeing a "Wild Man" every day when she and her sister walked to school.
7. Compare and contrast grandfather Ah Goong's experiences during the Driving Out with those that took place in Alaska according to Kingston's narrative.
8. Why does the author suggest that instead of the Driving Out in Alaska taking place twice that it could be the same story but with the dates mixed up?
9. Compare and contrast Uncle Bun's beliefs about the benefits of communism and his dreams of a Communist World and Father's political beliefs.
10. What does Kingston mean at the end of "Alaska China Men" when she writes, ". . . perhaps any China Man was China Joe"?
This section contains 2,073 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)