|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
2. Tu cannot deliver his messages and take care of his urgent things after he exits the tunnel because _____________________________.
(a) The tunnel is a passage to his rebirth as an infant.
(b) When he ermerges from the tunnel, he is lost.
(c) Explosions inside the tunnel made Tu deaf and mute.
(d) No one will listen to Tu's messages or help him with urgent matters.
3. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
(a) to punish him for coming to the Land of Women
(b) to make him look like a woman
(c) to teach him a lesson about respecting women
(d) to prepare Tang to meet the queen
4. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
5. What metaphor does Tang use to compare his bandages hanging to dry?
(a) like underwear
(b) streamers that drooped and draped wall to wall
(c) like a moth's wings
(d) gathered his toes over and under another
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the China Men's strike in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last before a compromise is made with the Central Pacific Railroad?
2. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
3. Which Supreme Court case overturns San Francisco safety ordinances, thereby admitting that California laws are designed to harass Chinese immigrants?
4. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
5. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
2. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
3. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
4. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
5. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
6. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
7. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
8. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
9. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
10. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)