|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
(a) the Union Pacific Railroad
(b) the Central Pacific Railroad
(c) The Mississippi Railroad
(d) The Colorado Railroad
2. What makes the author afraid to name the village in China where her family lives?
(a) stories of Communist arresting family member of immigrants
(b) Kingston's uncle threatens to kill her nephew if she does.
(c) Kingston's mother insists she did not reveal their secret.
(d) Tourists of the United States are listed as missing in newspapers
3. Where in the world is the Women's Land according to ancient scholars?
(a) North America
4. What is the consequence of Tu Tzu-chun failing the monk's test?
(a) Humanity will become deaf and mute.
(b) Tu Tzu-chun must repay all the money he spent over the last three lifetimes.
(c) Humanity has lost the chance for immortality.
(d) All Chinese babies will be born with a
5. What did the Displaced Persons Act passed in 1948 offer Chinese immigrants?
(a) The act allows Chinese people to bring their close family members to the U.S.
(b) between 1948-1954, ethnic Chinese could apply for citizenship.
(c) Special Citizenship Judges are appointed to get individual private bills passed for a price.
(d) Homes for Chinese immigrants are given to those who are homeles
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tang Ao doing when he meets the Queen?
2. How many fortunes does Tu Tzu-chun spend?
3. Why does Kingston think that Stockton is a special place to live?
4. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
5. What is the significance of the Supreme Court ruling in the1898 case, The United States v. Wong Kim Ark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
2. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
3. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
4. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
5. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
6. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
7. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
8. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
9. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
10. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)