|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Chan Moong Gut in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
(a) the young man who left his village for the Imperial Examinations
(b) the ghost of Bak Goong's dead father
(c) a magical character in Bak Goong's tall tales
(d) the other great grandfather that worked in the Sandalwood Mountains
2. What rule do the "white demons" enforce that is problematic for great grandfather Bak Goong while he is working in the sugar cane fields?
3. Where do Ed and MaMa go after Ed is ousted from the laundry business?
(a) to California
(b) to the movies
(c) to Long Island
(d) to Alaska
4. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
(a) The train will help you escape danger.
(b) Stay in Stockton forever.
(c) Trains are dangerous and should be avoided.
(d) Go somewhere important.
5. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is supposedly the cause of the "Mongolian spot" on some Chinese babies?
2. Why would the woman in "The Ghostmate" ask the young man to make her shoes?
3. How many times does Ah Goong go to Gold Mountain?
4. Why is there a communal dining room at the Chinese village where Kingston's ancestors lived?
5. Which of the following is an example of a simile used in "The Ghostmate"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
2. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
3. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
4. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
5. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
6. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
7. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
8. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
9. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
10. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)