|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is "On Fathers" written?
(a) third-person limited
(b) first-person narrative
(c) first-person observer
(d) third--person omniscient
2. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
(a) to punish him for coming to the Land of Women
(b) to prepare Tang to meet the queen
(c) to make him look like a woman
(d) to teach him a lesson about respecting women
3. Which is the setting for Kingston's biography of great grandfather Bak Goong in "The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountains"?
4. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
(a) realistic fiction and autobiography
(b) fantasy tale and biography
(c) autobiography and biography
(d) folktale and nonfiction
5. What condition does the monk set on what Tu Tzu-chun can do during his illusions?
(a) Tu Tzu-chun cannot move while watching the illusions.
(b) Tu Tzu-chun must avoid the kick from a god.
(c) Tu Tzu-chun must rescue his loved ones from the illusions.
(d) Tu Tzu-chun cannot speak or scream during the test.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
2. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
3. What finally makes Tu Tzu-chun break his silence?
4. How does the woman in "The Ghostmate" get her visitors to stay longer than they intend to?
5. What is supposedly the cause of the "Mongolian spot" on some Chinese babies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kingston give the reader information about the Communist Revolution and the later wars? Include details about her brother's experience in the Navy as a pacifist.
2. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
3. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
4. Explain why members of the freighter's crew try to send their shipmate to China and describe the Wild Man's response at the airport.
5. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
6. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
7. Compare the Alaskan Driving Out with the California Driving Out of China Men.
8. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
10. Explain the irony of the mandarins requesting more ships in the story the Filipino scholar tells in "On Listening."
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)