|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Chinaman's hat in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
(a) the top of Sandalwood Mountain
(b) a hat to protect the Chinese workers
(c) an island
(d) the place in town where Chinese workers gamble
2. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
(a) BaBa's head was shaped differently than theirs.
(b) BaBa's skinny, frail body had hands made for holding pens.
(c) BaBa was the largest boy born so far in the family.
(d) BaBa's hair was a different color than theirs.
3. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
(a) a blind child that cried all the time
(b) cuts on Ah Goong's arms after working in the forest
(c) a huge redwood tree that Ah Goong helped cut down
(d) bamboo that had to be cut before the rail could be laid
4. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
(a) The young husband should have hinted for some leftovers to bring home.
(b) Instead he feeds like a zoo animal.
(c) He asks, "Do you live alone?"
(d) His wife would enjoy hearing about his lucky night.
5. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
(a) sing in tune
(b) walk on water
(c) read the clouds
(d) stay silent
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act?
2. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
3. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
4. Why does Kingston grow up thinking her Father hates girls and women?
5. Why does the young man enter the house of the young widow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
2. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
3. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
4. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
5. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
6. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
7. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
8. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
9. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
10. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)