|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The seer does not disturb the spirits in the clouds in "On Mortality Again" __________________________.
(a) because the seer is afraid Maui will hurt him if the seer speaks to the spirits
(b) because the seer is afraid the spirits will punish him
(c) because the seer doesn't hear any spirits in the clouds
(d) because the seer doesn't want to draw the attention of the spirits to Maui's trick
2. Which of the following is an example of figurative language?
(a) His good leather shoes with the wingtips
(b) He took our hands out of his pockets.
(c) We jumped off the fence.
(d) man wears our father's two-hundred dollar suit.
3. In 1884, who is the first Chinese immigrant denied citizenship based on race?
(a) Yue Ting
(b) Yick Wo
(c) Chan Young
(d) Wong Kim Ark
4. What does the monk tell Tu Tzu-chun about the task he has in store for Tu?
(a) Talk, or I'll dash its head against the rocks.
(b) All that you will see and feel will be illusions.
(c) Swallow these three white pills.
(d) Hide your broken arms in your sleeves.
5. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
(a) her father
(b) her siblings
(c) her mother
(d) her readers
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Maui take that tells the reader where Hina sleeps?
2. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
3. Who is Chan Moong Gut in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
4. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
5. Why do the basketmen stop working in autumn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
2. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
3. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
4. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
5. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
6. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
7. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
8. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
9. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
10. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)