|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ed and MaMa go after Ed is ousted from the laundry business?
(a) to Long Island
(b) to California
(c) to the movies
(d) to Alaska
2. Who is Tu Tzu-chun's examiner?
(a) Tu Tzu-chun's father
(b) The Buddah
(c) A Taoist monk
(d) Tu Tzu-chong reincarnated
3. How does great grandfather Bak Goong break the rules of silence while working in Sandalwood Mountain?
(a) Bak Goong sends written notes to other workers.
(b) Bak Goong talks quietly to himself.
(c) Bak Goong deliberately sings in front of the masters.
(d) Bak Goong coughs out Chinese words the masters cannot understand.
4. What does Ah Goong, BaBa's father, do with BaBa that horrifies the family?
(a) Ah Goong trades BaBa for a neighbor's girl baby.
(b) Ah Goong jumped on BaBa's stomach for hours.
(c) Ah Goong climbed high up to a second floor window to watch BaBa be born.
(d) Ah Goong sang girl songs to BaBa.
5. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
(a) bamboo that had to be cut before the rail could be laid
(b) cuts on Ah Goong's arms after working in the forest
(c) a huge redwood tree that Ah Goong helped cut down
(d) a blind child that cried all the time
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
2. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
3. Who are the children referring to when they call out, "BaBa!"?
4. What mood does the letter from Kingston's friend, the physicist, reflect about his return visit to their common ancestral village?
5. How might Kingston's father's life have been different had he passed the Imperial Examinations with honors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
2. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
3. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
4. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
5. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
6. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
7. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
8. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
9. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
10. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)