|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ah Goong, BaBa's father, do with BaBa that horrifies the family?
(a) Ah Goong trades BaBa for a neighbor's girl baby.
(b) Ah Goong jumped on BaBa's stomach for hours.
(c) Ah Goong sang girl songs to BaBa.
(d) Ah Goong climbed high up to a second floor window to watch BaBa be born.
2. Which tax is enforced on Chinese immigrants living in California in order to pay for the extra policing their presence requires?
(a) the cigar tax
(b) the cubic air ordinance
(c) the laundry tax
(d) the police tax
3. Who is Chan Moong Gut in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
(a) the young man who left his village for the Imperial Examinations
(b) the other great grandfather that worked in the Sandalwood Mountains
(c) the ghost of Bak Goong's dead father
(d) a magical character in Bak Goong's tall tales
4. Which congressional act in 1882 bans Chinese laborers from entering the U.S. for ten years?
(a) the revoking of Certificate of Residence
(b) Chinese Exclusion Act
(c) the revised Burlingame Treaty
(d) Nationality Act
5. How many times does Ah Goong go to Gold Mountain?
(a) one time
(b) five times
(d) three times
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening on the East Coast at the same time as the Central Pacific is forging through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the West?
2. What does the monk tell Tu Tzu-chun about the task he has in store for Tu?
3. How might Kingston's father's life have been different had he passed the Imperial Examinations with honors?
4. How many days does the China Men's strike in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last before a compromise is made with the Central Pacific Railroad?
5. What happens after the bird laughs in "On Mortality Again"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
2. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
3. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
4. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
5. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
6. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
7. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
8. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
9. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
10. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)