|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
(a) pin Tang's ears to his head
(b) pierce Tang's tongue
(c) sew Tang's lips shut
(d) pierce Tang's ears
2. Where does Hina of the night sleep?
(a) in the forest
(b) high in the treetops
(c) on a far away island
(d) deep in the ocean
3. Which of the following indicates that "The Ghostmate" is a fantasy?
(a) mountains rise until the peaks fade from sight
(b) trees howl and bend to earth
(c) the winds whip up
(d) naked drought-dwarfs with one eye on top run for cover
4. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
5. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
(a) a street in Stockton, CA
(b) the author's yard
(d) a farm in rural area
Short Answer Questions
1. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
2. The seer does not disturb the spirits in the clouds in "On Mortality Again" __________________________.
3. From what point of view is "On Fathers" written?
4. Which of the following is an example of figurative language?
5. What culture is the character Maui from in "On Mortality Again"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the progression of laws that at first limited Chinese family members from entering the U.S. to the laws that allowed them entry whether the quota had been met or not.
2. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
3. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
4. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
5. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
6. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
7. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
8. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
9. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
10. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)