|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the Supreme Court ruling in the1898 case, The United States v. Wong Kim Ark?
(a) The decision lifts the restriction on immigration for Chinese.
(b) The decision states that a person born in the U.S. to Chinese parents is an American.
(c) The decision states that treaty merchants could bring their Chinese wives and children to America to live.
(d) The decision states that San Francisco's safety ordinances are unfair to Chinese.
2. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(b) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
(c) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
(d) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
3. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
(a) pierce Tang's ears
(b) sew Tang's lips shut
(c) pierce Tang's tongue
(d) pin Tang's ears to his head
4. Why does the young man enter the house of the young widow?
(a) He is being chased by dogs.
(b) He is selling wares door-to-door
(c) He is lonely and seeks companionship.
(d) He seeks shelter from a storm along the mountain path.
5. Which tax is enforced on Chinese immigrants living in California in order to pay for the extra policing their presence requires?
(a) the cubic air ordinance
(b) the cigar tax
(c) the laundry tax
(d) the police tax
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
2. Who are the children referring to when they call out, "BaBa!"?
3. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
4. What is the Chinaman's hat in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
5. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
2. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
3. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
4. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
5. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
6. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
7. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
8. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
10. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)