|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
(a) BaBa's head was shaped differently than theirs.
(b) BaBa was the largest boy born so far in the family.
(c) BaBa's hair was a different color than theirs.
(d) BaBa's skinny, frail body had hands made for holding pens.
2. Why do the children reach into the man's pockets?
(a) The children want to steal his money.
(b) The children are looking for his photo identification.
(c) The children think he has something that belongs to them.
(d) The children expect to find surprises for them in his pockets.
3. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
(a) pierce Tang's ears
(b) force Tang to wash his used bandages
(c) feed Tang chicken wings to make his hair shine
(d) powder Tang's face and put makeup on him
4. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
(a) He is speechless and ignores them altogether.
(b) He laughs and tells them they made a mistake.
(c) He gets angry and yells at Mother.
(d) He swats the children away from him as if they were flies.
5. Where in the world is the Women's Land according to ancient scholars?
(b) North America
Short Answer Questions
1. What sight does the bird see that causes it to start laughing?
2. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
3. Which of the following is an example of a simile used in "The Ghostmate"?
4. What is the result of the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act?
5. How many years, according to Ah Goong, does it take to complete the railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
2. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
3. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
4. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
5. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
6. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
7. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
8. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
9. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
10. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)