|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Supreme Court case overturns San Francisco safety ordinances, thereby admitting that California laws are designed to harass Chinese immigrants?
(a) Yick Wo v. Hopkins
(b) Chae Chan Ping v. The United States
(c) Yue Ting v. The United States
(d) The United States v. Mrs. Cue Lim
2. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
3. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
(a) He laughs and tells them they made a mistake.
(b) He swats the children away from him as if they were flies.
(c) He is speechless and ignores them altogether.
(d) He gets angry and yells at Mother.
4. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(b) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
(c) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
(d) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
5. What is happening on the East Coast at the same time as the Central Pacific is forging through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the West?
(a) The French and Indian War
(b) The Revolutionary War
(c) The U.S. Civil War
(d) World War I
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "Jesus demons" trying to do when they visit the work camp where Bak Goong lives?
2. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
3. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
4. What does the monk say Tu Tzu-chun has to do to repay him the third time?
5. Why do the children reach into the man's pockets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
2. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
3. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
4. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
5. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
6. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
7. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
8. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
9. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
10. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)