|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does the monk set on what Tu Tzu-chun can do during his illusions?
(a) Tu Tzu-chun must rescue his loved ones from the illusions.
(b) Tu Tzu-chun cannot move while watching the illusions.
(c) Tu Tzu-chun cannot speak or scream during the test.
(d) Tu Tzu-chun must avoid the kick from a god.
2. What is inside of Hina that holds immortality for humanity?
3. What does the monk say Tu Tzu-chun has to do to repay him the third time?
(a) murder his wife
(b) spend another fortune
(c) spend his fortune on others
(d) work for him on an important difficult task
4. What were the Chinese wives most likely afraid of when their husbands left for Gold Mountain?
(a) that their husbands would return broke and broken
(b) that their husbands might bring back a new wife
(c) that their husbands would settle in America with new wives
(d) that their husbands will get harmed by bandits while still in China
5. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
(a) to make him look like a woman
(b) to teach him a lesson about respecting women
(c) to punish him for coming to the Land of Women
(d) to prepare Tang to meet the queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
2. What signed document states that Chinese and Americans could freely travel, trade, and live in either country?
3. In what year did the U.S. immigration laws discard the Western Hemisphere quota and move to a worldwide quota?
4. Why does Kingston think that Stockton is a special place to live?
5. What is the significance of the Supreme Court ruling in the1898 case, The United States v. Wong Kim Ark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
2. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
3. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
4. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
5. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
6. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
7. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
8. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
9. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
10. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)