|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
(a) BaBa was the largest boy born so far in the family.
(b) BaBa's skinny, frail body had hands made for holding pens.
(c) BaBa's head was shaped differently than theirs.
(d) BaBa's hair was a different color than theirs.
2. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
(a) fantasy tale and biography
(b) folktale and nonfiction
(c) realistic fiction and autobiography
(d) autobiography and biography
3. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
(a) The music that accompanies the young man turns dark.
(b) The storm dies when the young man knocks at a gate.
(c) A bolt of lightning illuminates the young man at the door.
(d) The green and black trees twist and turn.
4. Why does Kingston grow up thinking her Father hates girls and women?
(a) Father would punish Kingston and her siblings by not speaking to them.
(b) Kingston has memories of her father cursing about gypsies that swindled him.
(c) Father wakes up screaming from nightmares at night.
(d) Father had a bad experience with his own mother that Kingston doesn't understand.
5. Who is Tu Tzu-chun's examiner?
(a) Tu Tzu-chong reincarnated
(b) A Taoist monk
(c) Tu Tzu-chun's father
(d) The Buddah
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the U.S. immigration laws discard the Western Hemisphere quota and move to a worldwide quota?
2. Which congressional act in 1882 bans Chinese laborers from entering the U.S. for ten years?
3. Who were the Gold Mountain Sojourners?
4. What technology changes the way the Central Pacific Railroad tunnels through mountains in the Sierra Nevada?
5. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
2. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
3. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
4. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
5. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
6. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
7. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
8. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
9. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
10. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)