|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
(a) sing in tune
(b) walk on water
(c) stay silent
(d) read the clouds
2. How many years, according to Ah Goong, does it take to complete the railroad?
(a) twenty years
(b) six years
(c) ten years
(d) two years
3. How many fortunes does Tu Tzu-chun spend?
4. What does Ah Goong, BaBa's father, do with BaBa that horrifies the family?
(a) Ah Goong trades BaBa for a neighbor's girl baby.
(b) Ah Goong climbed high up to a second floor window to watch BaBa be born.
(c) Ah Goong sang girl songs to BaBa.
(d) Ah Goong jumped on BaBa's stomach for hours.
5. What did the Displaced Persons Act passed in 1948 offer Chinese immigrants?
(a) Special Citizenship Judges are appointed to get individual private bills passed for a price.
(b) Homes for Chinese immigrants are given to those who are homeles
(c) The act allows Chinese people to bring their close family members to the U.S.
(d) between 1948-1954, ethnic Chinese could apply for citizenship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which congressional act in 1882 bans Chinese laborers from entering the U.S. for ten years?
2. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
3. How long had Ed been away from China before he and MaMa were reunited in New York City?
4. How might Kingston's father's life have been different had he passed the Imperial Examinations with honors?
5. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
2. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
3. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
4. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
5. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
6. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
7. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
8. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
9. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
10. Provide examples from "The Ghostmate" of vivid imagery that reveals the man's mood as he heads back to his childhood home. Is the young man happy or sad?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)