|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people in Alaska do to track events in their lives and their community?
(a) hire a town crier
(b) write in diaries
(c) post bulletins around towns
(d) produce a weekly newspaper
2. What does Uncle Bun accuse Father of doing?
(a) working too hard
(b) stealing his money
(c) wasting money
(d) poisoning his food
3. What two goals does Father finally reach by the end of "The American Father"?
(a) He has the biggest garden in Stockton and he owns his own business.
(b) His clothes fit again and mother is finally happy.
(c) His children go to private school and he owns his own house.
(d) He owns his own house and his own business.
4. How many China Men make up the Chinese population in Alaska?
5. What reason do the white miners give for the decision to drive out the China Men?
(a) for paying Citizenship Judges to become citizens
(b) for fighting with the Indians
(c) for getting richer by working harder
(d) for stoning a woman in Juneau
6. What symbolizes to the Filipino king that the mandarin is of a higher social class than other Chinese already living there?
(a) The mandarins ride in ivory and gold chairs.
(b) The mandarins have a Chinese in chains.
(c) The mandarin ships are seaworthy.
(d) The mandarins have secret knowledge of gold in the mountains.
7. What does the Wild Man do when he ventures out of the Green Swamp?
(a) goes to a restaurant
(b) takes fruit and corn from farms
(c) robs farmers for food
(d) He doesn't ever leave the swamp.
8. What effects do the comic books have on Kingston and her Chinese American family?
(a) Comic books gave Chinese Americans true and accurate information about the Vietnam War.
(b) Comic books reinforce the stereotype of the Chinese American or Oriental.
(c) Comic books distract the children from the horrors of war by showing Chop Chop.
(d) The stories that were unfit for children must have been worse than guts hanging out.
9. What does Kingston notice about the Wild Man as shown in the photos of his capture appearing in the newspaper?
(a) The Wild Man's hair and beard were extremely long, because he was unable to groom himself in the swamp.
(b) The Wild Man was neat and clean and did not act wild or fight his captors.
(c) The men in cowboy hats that escorted him out of the swamp appeared to have given quite a fight against the Wild Man.
(d) The Wild Man was crying as his captors led him out of the swamp.
10. Why does Sao Elder Brother become known as Mad Sao?
(a) Sao is the only man in the family to be Americanized.
(b) Sao goes mad and becomes paranoid, accusing Father of stealing his money.
(c) Sao is haunted by his dead mother's ghosts and is seen and heard talking to no one.
(d) Sao returns to Red China to care for his mother before she dies.
11. What details do we learn about the Wild Man when he talks to the translator in his jail cell?
(a) The Wild Man has been a seaman his entire life.
(b) The Wild Man captured a four-foot alligator.
(c) The Wild Man is 39-years-old and has seven children in Taiwan.
(d) The Wild Man had many friends on the freighter ship and he was confused by their attempts to send him to a foreign country.
12. For what does the doctor at the jail treat the Wild Man?
(a) alligator bites and burns from camp fires
(b) mosquito bites and stomach ache
(c) malaria and diarrhea
(d) dehydration and cuts and bruises
13. What does it finally take to capture the Wild Man of the Green Swamp?
(a) an air and land search by a posse
(b) tracking dogs and hunters with guns
(c) a sophisticated trap set in the swamp
(d) a farmer hold him at gunpoint until the authorities arrive
14. In the second telling of the Driving Out in Alaska, what do returning China Men do to get back to their homes and their jobs?
(a) China Men bargain with the Treadmill Mining Company.
(b) China Men bring back with them battalions of soldiers.
(c) China Men fight hand-to-hand battle with the miners.
(d) China Men replace white workers who had gone on strike.
15. The author of "The Li Sao" is
(a) Kingston, when she was a teenager
(b) Uncle Kau Goong
(c) The Goddess of the Hsiang River
(d) Ch'u Yuan, China's earliest known poet
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of the Wild Man that Kingston saw as a child is distinctly different from the Wild Man caught in 1975?
2. What are the contents of the Wild Man's bag which is made from a pair of pants?
3. What does Lo Bun Sun call the two shelters he builds on the island?
4. In what year is the birthday party for the 106-year-old man held in Hawaii?
5. What word best describes the meaning of Ch'u Yuan's name?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)