|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Wild Man of the Green Swamp.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the Supreme Court ruling in the1898 case, The United States v. Wong Kim Ark?
(a) The decision states that San Francisco's safety ordinances are unfair to Chinese.
(b) The decision lifts the restriction on immigration for Chinese.
(c) The decision states that treaty merchants could bring their Chinese wives and children to America to live.
(d) The decision states that a person born in the U.S. to Chinese parents is an American.
2. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
(a) realistic fiction and autobiography
(b) fantasy tale and biography
(c) folktale and nonfiction
(d) autobiography and biography
3. Which of the following is not something Sao does at his mother's grave?
(a) heaps food and presents on her grave
(b) pours wine into the earth
(c) lights incense set in pails of sand
(d) lights on fire paper replicas of money
4. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
(a) bamboo that had to be cut before the rail could be laid
(b) a huge redwood tree that Ah Goong helped cut down
(c) a blind child that cried all the time
(d) cuts on Ah Goong's arms after working in the forest
5. What makes the author afraid to name the village in China where her family lives?
(a) Kingston's mother insists she did not reveal their secret.
(b) stories of Communist arresting family member of immigrants
(c) Kingston's uncle threatens to kill her nephew if she does.
(d) Tourists of the United States are listed as missing in newspapers
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
2. What does the Wild Man do on the night he learns that the Border Patrol is sending him back?
3. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
4. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
5. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)