|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Li Sao: An Elegy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kingston think that Stockton is a special place to live?
(a) Kingston's grandfathers worked on the tracks in Stockton where Kingston and her family live.
(b) Flocks of hoboes were always around the tracks, keeping the city entertaining.
(c) Kingston could ride the trains anytime she wanted.
(d) Stockton, CA, is the only city with three intersecting railroads.
2. What is the meaning of the word hastening in the opening lines of "On Fathers"?
(a) speeding up the pace of walking
(b) slowing down the pace of walking
(c) stopping to tie shoe laces
(d) running quickly by
3. What does the blind fortune teller predict will happen to Kingston's San Francisco Aunt over her lifetime?
(a) Aunt will meet her husband in Hong Kong.
(b) Aunt will gain and lose fortunes many times.
(c) Aunt will marry three times.
(d) Aunt will own a shoe store throughout her life.
4. Which anti-Chinese law comes first?
(a) Scott Act
(b) The revised Burlingame Treaty
(c) Act to Amend an Act
(d) Chinese Exclusion Act
5. Why would the woman in "The Ghostmate" ask the young man to make her shoes?
(a) The woman wants her visitor to leave right away.
(b) The woman keeps her visitors with her by making them make things for her.
(c) The woman is trying to distract the young man from the storm.
(d) The woman is poor and needs a pair of shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fortunes does Tu Tzu-chun spend?
2. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
3. How many days does the China Men's strike in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last before a compromise is made with the Central Pacific Railroad?
4. What happens that begins Father's most dismal time in "The American Father"?
5. What two actions result from the Scott Act of 1888?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)