|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The American Father.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "Jesus demons" trying to do when they visit the work camp where Bak Goong lives?
(a) trying to cast demons from the Chinese workers
(b) trying to baptize the Chinese workers
(c) trying to convert the Chinese to Christianity
(d) trying to lure them to work at their farm
2. Which is the setting for Kingston's biography of great grandfather Bak Goong in "The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountains"?
3. What makes the author afraid to name the village in China where her family lives?
(a) stories of Communist arresting family member of immigrants
(b) Tourists of the United States are listed as missing in newspapers
(c) Kingston's mother insists she did not reveal their secret.
(d) Kingston's uncle threatens to kill her nephew if she does.
4. What two goals does Father finally reach by the end of "The American Father"?
(a) He has the biggest garden in Stockton and he owns his own business.
(b) His clothes fit again and mother is finally happy.
(c) His children go to private school and he owns his own house.
(d) He owns his own house and his own business.
5. What kind of business does Father buy?
(a) a barbershop
(b) a laundry
(c) a gambling house
(d) a tobacco shop
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the U.S. immigration laws discard the Western Hemisphere quota and move to a worldwide quota?
2. Who is Chan Moong Gut in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
3. What mood does the letter from Kingston's friend, the physicist, reflect about his return visit to their common ancestral village?
4. Why is there a communal dining room at the Chinese village where Kingston's ancestors lived?
5. What is the significance of the Supreme Court ruling in the1898 case, The United States v. Wong Kim Ark?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)