|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The American Father.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal theory does Kingston recall testing when she was child?
(a) Kingston thought boys liked to be kicked.
(b) Kingston believes that she can tell lies and never get caught.
(c) Kingston believes that boys do not feel pain.
(d) Kingston believes that her father worked secretly for the Communist Party.
2. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
(a) a child in California
(b) an adult in California
(c) an adult in China
(d) a child in China
3. Which anti-Chinese law comes first?
(a) Scott Act
(b) Chinese Exclusion Act
(c) The revised Burlingame Treaty
(d) Act to Amend an Act
4. What happens that begins Father's most dismal time in "The American Father"?
(a) MaMa shames him into taking a low-wage laborer job.
(b) The children get out of control, and Father beats his daughter with a hangar.
(c) MaMa has an accident at the cannery and dies.
(d) The Gambling house is raided and closed permanently.
5. What did the Displaced Persons Act passed in 1948 offer Chinese immigrants?
(a) between 1948-1954, ethnic Chinese could apply for citizenship.
(b) Special Citizenship Judges are appointed to get individual private bills passed for a price.
(c) The act allows Chinese people to bring their close family members to the U.S.
(d) Homes for Chinese immigrants are given to those who are homeles
Short Answer Questions
1. How does great grandfather Bak Goong break the rules of silence while working in Sandalwood Mountain?
2. What makes the author afraid to name the village in China where her family lives?
3. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
4. In Honolulu, what does Kingston's friend, the dancer, report about Kingston's ancestral village?
5. What two actions result from the Scott Act of 1888?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)