• The author opens this novel with a traditional Chinese folktale about a man named Tang Ao. This adventurous character steals across the ocean in search of the Mountain of Gold.
• He discovers a land controlled by women who prepare Tang to meet the Queen.
• Tang suffers torturous events such as breaking and binding his feet and piercing his ears.
• Tang is made to look and act like a Chinese woman.
• When he meets the Queen he is mistaken for a female servant.
• There are no taxes and no wars in this great land called North America.
• As children, the author and her siblings eagerly await near the gate for their father's return home from work.
• They know he is carrying sweets and treats for them.
• This day they run up to a man they recognize as their father.
• The man insists he is not...
This section contains 3,923 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)