|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Walter claim Touchwood Junior has done to him?
2. Who is lecturing Moll on her flaws as a woman as the play opens?
3. Who is attempting to help Allwit get dressed for the town party?
4. What is Sir Walter's last name?
5. Where are the Promoters searching for villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Touchwood Senior convince Sir Oliver he will be able to impregnate his wife?
2. How does Sir Oliver react to the news of Moll's death and impending funeral?
3. What happens on the steps of the church that creates a fight amongst the women?
4. Why does Lady Kix consider hiring Touchwood Senior for his unique services?
5. What discussion are Touchwood Senior and his wife having at the opening of the play?
6. What confession does Yellowhammer make to the audience after Allwit arrives in disguise to tell him about Sir Walter's mistress?
7. What confessions does the Welsh gentlewoman make to Tim after the pair is married?
8. What opinion does Maudlin have about fools, and how are her comments on the topic received by Tim?
9. What gifts does Mistress Allwit receive from Sir Walter in celebration of the birth of their daughter?
10. When Yellowhammer and Maudlin finally locate Moll, what physical state is she in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The practice of arranged marriage is extremely popular at the setting of this play. Explain what two arranged marriages were addressed in this play, what the reaction to the arranged marriage was, and what the outcome of each of the arranged marriages turned out to be.
Essay Topic 2
Allwit and Sir Walter have an unusual business arrangement between them. Briefly explain what Sir Walter's duties are to Allwit, and what Allwit offers Sir Walter in compensation. Explain why Allwit feels the need to hire Sir Walter for such an unusual job, and what he gets out of the arrangement.
Essay Topic 3
All the characters in this play have prescribed to a rigorous social hierarchy that affects the entire nation. Briefly describe the social hierarchy of the time, and create a list of characters from the bottom of the hierarchy to the top. Explain what methods characters use throughout the play to move their way up the social hierarchy. Are any of these methods successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)