|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following emotions best describes Sir Walter's state when he first arrives at Allwit's home?
2. Who comes along as a witness to Moll and Touchwood Junior's secret meeting?
3. How does the one who is suggested to enter the town party first respond?
4. Who is suggested to enter the town party first?
5. Why does Allwit turn a blind eye to the affair between his wife and Sir Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Allwit greet Moll and Touchwood Junior when they arrive at his daughter's christening?
2. Why does Lady Kix consider hiring Touchwood Senior for his unique services?
3. How do the Puritan women handle the situation of the townsfolk bickering at the church steps?
4. Who are the Promoters and what is their job?
5. How does Sir Oliver react to the news of Moll's death and impending funeral?
6. What ongoing arrangement does Sir Walter have with Allwit?
7. What shocking event happens at Moll and Touchwood Junior's funeral?
8. What happens when Touchwood Junior enters the meeting between Moll and Sir Walter?
9. What arrangements has Touchwood Junior made for his second attempt at escape with Moll?
10. How does Middleton strive to portray the Puritan women in his play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Touchwood Senior concocts a ridiculous plan to impregnate Lady Kix that relies almost solely on Sir Oliver's gullibility. Describe Touchwood Senior's plan and Sir Oliver's reaction to the plan. Explain Sir Oliver's reaction when he finds out the truth behind his duping.
Essay Topic 2
Allwit chooses to invite some interesting characters to his daughter's christening, particularly The Gossips and The Puritans. Briefly describe The Gossips and The Puritans, and explain what their role in the christening party was. Explain how Allwit's attitude toward these guests changed as soon as he brought them back to his house, and why.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the play, the audience is introduced to Yellowhammer and his wife, Maudlin. Briefly describe the lifestyle that the Yellowhammer family is living in at the opening of the play. Explain how Yellowhammer fought for the duration of the play to rise up the social ladder.
This section contains 1,747 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)