|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Allwit ask the wet nurse to bring the new baby into his study?
2. What does Touchwood Senior offer to the Wench's cousin if she does not press charges against him?
3. What is Sir Walter's last name?
4. Where are the Promoters searching for villagers?
5. What is the name of Moll's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sir Oliver react to the news that Lady Kix is pregnant?
2. Who is nominated to lead the party into the church, and what is the reaction to this nomination?
3. How does Tim react to the confessions that his wife makes to him after they are married?
4. What roles will The Gossips play in the christening of Allwit's daughter?
5. What bombshell does Davy Dahana drop on Allwit at the end of the party, and what is Allwit's response to the news?
6. What ongoing arrangement does Sir Walter have with Allwit?
7. Where do Touchwood Junior and Moll secretly meet, and why?
8. What discussion are Touchwood Senior and his wife having at the opening of the play?
9. How do the Puritan women handle the situation of the townsfolk bickering at the church steps?
10. How does Touchwood Senior convince Sir Oliver he will be able to impregnate his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sir Walter is first introduced to the audience, it is made clear that he is in deep debt to his family. Explain why Sir Walter has gone into such deep debt, and what he intends to do about resolving those debts. Explain why Sir Walter feels the need to keep his debts hidden to the other characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the play is very influential to the title. Briefly describe the setting of Cheapside, and then explain how this setting sets the tone for the entire plot of the play. In your opinion, would this story have been as effective if it were set anywhere else? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After Moll's riverside conflict with her mother, Touchwood Junior challenges Sir Walter to a duel. Explain Touchwood's motivations in challenging Sir Walter and the result of the duel. Who is the victor, and who is simply the victim. Explain how Touchwood Junior used the outcome of the duel to alter the path of his life with Moll.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)