|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Allwit react to the birth of his third child?
2. Who is the current heir to Lady Kix's estate?
3. What decision do Touchwood Senior and his wife reach during their first onstage discussion?
4. Why does Allwit turn a blind eye to the affair between his wife and Sir Walter?
5. What is the name of the group of people that stand up and speak during the town party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Middleton strive to portray the Puritan women in his play?
2. How does Maudlin react when she finds Moll trying to run away?
3. Who are the Promoters and what is their job?
4. What news does the first servant bring to the Allwit's home, and what is the reaction to this news?
5. How do the Puritan women handle the situation of the townsfolk bickering at the church steps?
6. Why are Sir Walter Whorehound and his niece traveling to meet with Moll's family?
7. Who is nominated to lead the party into the church, and what is the reaction to this nomination?
8. What happens when the Wench accosts Touchwood Senior with one of his illegitimate children?
9. When Yellowhammer and Maudlin finally locate Moll, what physical state is she in?
10. What conversation are Moll and her mother having as the play opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the play, the audience is introduced to Yellowhammer and his wife, Maudlin. Briefly describe the lifestyle that the Yellowhammer family is living in at the opening of the play. Explain how Yellowhammer fought for the duration of the play to rise up the social ladder.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, the biggest struggle seemed to be happening between Touchwood Junior and Moll. Describe the relationship between the pair, and explain why they were forbidden to be together. Then, briefly describe each of the three attempts the couple made to be together.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the play is very influential to the title. Briefly describe the setting of Cheapside, and then explain how this setting sets the tone for the entire plot of the play. In your opinion, would this story have been as effective if it were set anywhere else? Why or why not?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)