|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exists when a reversible reaction ceases to change its ratio of reactants/products, but substances move between the chemicals at an equal rate, meaning there is no net change?
2. What occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers?
3. In physics and systems theory, what states that, for all linear systems, the net response at a given place and time caused by two or more stimuli is the sum of the responses which would have been caused by each stimulus individually?
4. In physics and fluid mechanics, what refers to the layer of fluid in the immediate vicinity of a bounding surface where effects of viscosity of the fluid are considered in detail?
5. Who is attributed with the following quote in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors": "Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity, and little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author differentiate between theorists and experimentalists in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors"?
2. How did Barnsley's approach differ from that of Richter and Peitgen in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
3. Describe the Julia set. How is it related to the Fatou set?
4. Whose results did Albert Libchaber inadvertently recreate in Chapter 7, "The Experimenter"?
5. What is the definition of a bifurcation diagram?
6. What was Harry Swinney known for in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors"? Where did his interests lie?
7. How are the Navier-Stokes equations defined? For whom are they named?
8. Who was Johann Wolfgang von Goethe? For what great work is he most well known?
9. How are Feigenbaum constants defined?
10. What problems did turbulence cause for physicists and scientists, according to the author in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the computer development of the 1960s and the Royal McBee computer used by Edward Lorenz. What did Lorenz develop to aid in computer analysis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mitchell Feigenbaum's history, education and work. What are Feigenbaum constants and when were they discovered?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the psychological experiment described by Thomas S. Kuhn in Chapter 2, "Revolution." What discoveries were made through the work?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)