|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attributed with the following quote from Chapter 6, "Universality": "The iterating of these lines brings gold; the framing of this circle on the ground brings whirlwinds, tempests, thunder and lightning"?
2. Through this work on the study of quantum behavior of superfluid helium, Albert Libchaber invented what?
3. What science deals with the visible, orderly outcomes of self-organization and the common principles behind similar patterns?
4. Albert Libchaber's results in his work with helium paralleled what equation that relates the pressure, viscosity, velocity, density of a fluid?
5. When was Michael Barnsley's book SuperFractals published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author differentiate between theorists and experimentalists in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors"?
2. Where did Mitchell Feigenbaum meet Michael Barnsley in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"? What did their discussions lead to?
3. How is the Taylor-Couette flow defined?
4. How are Feigenbaum constants defined?
5. How are the Navier-Stokes equations defined? For whom are they named?
6. How does the author describe the evolution of chaos in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
7. Describe the career of Heinz-Otto Peitgen. Where is Peitgen from?
8. What is the definition of a bifurcation diagram?
9. What was Harry Swinney known for in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors"? Where did his interests lie?
10. Who is Michael Barnsley? How is his early career described in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life and work of Stephen Smale. What contributions is Smale responsible for in the study of chaos theory?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of the National Meteorological Center (now the National Weather Service) and the European Center for Medium Range Forecasts. Where is each headquartered and how has it developed in today's world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Cantor set and the Noah and Joseph Effects. What is Cantor Dust and how was it discovered?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)