|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attributed with the following quote in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs": "The result of a mathematical development should be continuously checked against one's own intuition about what constitutes reasonable biological behavior"?
2. Where was Hendrik Houthakker born?
3. When was Steven Smale born?
4. Where was Benoit Mandelbrot born?
5. What is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Edward Lorenz develop in order to assist in working with computer technology in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"? How did he feel about the future of forecasting?
2. How is the relationship between meteorologists and computers described in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
3. Describe the weather simulator discussed in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect." What weather conditions did it create?
4. What psychological experiment does Thomas S. Kuhn describe in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
5. What two technologies contributed to the development of global forecasting in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
6. Who is quoted discussing nonlinear problems in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
7. How is Edward Lorenz described in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"? Where was he working at the time?
8. How did the role of chaos theory affect ecologists in the 1970s as described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
9. What did Benoit Mandelbrot and Hendrik Houthakker agree on about the chart in Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature"?
10. What impact did The Structure of Scientific Revolutions have on the scientific community? What did Kuhn assert in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Edward Lorenz and his weather simulator at MIT. What effects did the weather simulator create? What led to the machine's breakdowns?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mitchell Feigenbaum's history, education and work. What are Feigenbaum constants and when were they discovered?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Albert Libchaber's major contributions in experimental condensed matter physics. How did his discoveries relate to the Rayleigh-Benard systems?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)