|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that calling the study of chaos a nonlinear science was akin to calling zoology "the study of nonelephant animals" in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
2. According to Gleick in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," what will cause the idealized population to end up at the lower level?
3. Where is the European Center for Medium Range Forecasts headquartered?
4. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's father?
5. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Benoit Mandelbrot and Hendrik Houthakker agree on about the chart in Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature"?
2. How is James Yorke described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"? What term did he coin?
3. In Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," one of the biggest questions came to be how different parameters affected the ultimate destiny of a changing population. What was the answer to this?
4. What psychological experiment does Thomas S. Kuhn describe in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
5. How did the role of chaos theory affect ecologists in the 1970s as described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
6. How is Robert May described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"? What did his work center on?
7. What variable changed the outcome in the experiment described by Thomas S. Kuhn in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
8. What was the early life of Benoit Mandelbrot like, as described by the author in Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature"?
9. What impact did The Structure of Scientific Revolutions have on the scientific community? What did Kuhn assert in the book?
10. How is the relationship between meteorologists and computers described in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Albert Libchaber's major contributions in experimental condensed matter physics. How did his discoveries relate to the Rayleigh-Benard systems?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of the National Meteorological Center (now the National Weather Service) and the European Center for Medium Range Forecasts. Where is each headquartered and how has it developed in today's world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the psychological experiment described by Thomas S. Kuhn in Chapter 2, "Revolution." What discoveries were made through the work?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)