|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
2. What refers to a change in the basic assumptions within the ruling theory of science?
(a) Paradigm shift.
(b) Fractal basin boundaries.
(d) Theoretical physics.
3. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's father?
(a) Clothing wholesaler.
(c) Math teacher.
4. When was Benoit Mandelbrot born?
5. Although James Yorke was a brilliant mathematician, he often referred to himself as what?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A monk.
(d) A philosopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept originated by Thomas S. Kuhn refers to the routine work of scientists experimenting within a paradigm, slowly accumulating detail in accord with established broad theory and not actually challenging or attempting to test the underlying assumptions of that theory?
2. Robert May, like many before him, was confused by the changes when what was increased?
3. The National Weather Service is one of the six scientific agencies that make up what division of the U.S. Government?
4. What is a branch of physics which employs mathematical models and abstractions of physics to rationalize, explain and predict natural phenomena?
5. In mathematics, what is a system which does not satisfy the superposition principle, or whose output is not directly proportional to its input?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)