|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Stephen Smale from?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Fargo, North Dakota.
(c) Aurora, Illinois.
(d) Flint, Michigan.
2. James Yorke is credited with creating what term in reference to science?
3. In what year did Benoit Mandelbrot recognize the ghost of an idea when he spotted a diagram charted out on the blackboard in Hendrik Houthakker's office?
4. What can be formed by taking a finite Cartesian product of the Cantor set with itself, making it a Cantor space?
(a) Euclidean space.
(b) Helium in a Box.
(c) Cantor dust.
5. In Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," Gleick writes, "In the emergence of chaos as a new science in the 1970s, _____ were destined to play a special role."
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the implications of what theorem is that if a continuous discrete dynamical system on the real line has a periodic point of period 3, then it must have periodic points of every other period?
2. When was Edward Lorenz born?
3. What refers to a computer program or network of computers that attempts to simulate an abstract model of a particular system?
4. In his paper, Kuhn argues that rival paradigms are ______, meaning that it is not possible to understand one paradigm through the conceptual framework and terminology of another rival paradigm.
5. Robert May, like many before him, was confused by the changes when what was increased?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)