|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is quoted in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect" as saying "Physicists like to think that all you have to do is say, these are the conditions, now what happens next?"
(a) Richard Feynman.
(b) Thomas S. Kuhn.
(c) Edward Lorenz.
(d) Stephen Spender.
2. Where is Stephen Smale from?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Flint, Michigan.
(c) Fargo, North Dakota.
(d) Aurora, Illinois.
3. What controversial book did Thomas S. Kuhn publish in 1962?
(a) Physical Review Letters.
(b) Fractals Everywhere.
(c) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.
(d) Period Three Implies Chaos.
4. When was Steven Smale born?
5. In Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature," Houthakker explained to Mandelbrot the diagram in his office represented eight years of what?
(a) Almond prices.
(b) Wheat prices.
(c) Cotton prices.
(d) Corn prices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Foucault use as a way to demonstrate the earth's rotation, according to the author in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
2. Where was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
3. Who does Gleick quote as saying "It does not say in the Bible that all laws of nature are expressible linearily!" in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
4. When was James Yorke born?
5. What were the subjects allowed to glance at one at a time in the experiment from the 1940s described by Gleick in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)