|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 9-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what institution did Albert Libchaber earn his Ph.D.?
(a) The University of Illinois.
(b) The University of Bonn.
(c) The Ecole Normale Supérieure.
(d) The University of Chicago.
2. What book did Michael Barnsley publish in 1988?
(a) Physical Review Letters.
(b) Fractals Everywhere.
(c) Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.
(d) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.
3. When did Albert Libchaber win the Wolf Prize in Physics?
4. Who is attributed with the following quote in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs": "The result of a mathematical development should be continuously checked against one's own intuition about what constitutes reasonable biological behavior"?
(a) Steven Smale.
(b) Benoit Mandelbrot.
(c) Stanislaw Ulam.
(d) Harvey J. Gold.
5. What was the first major paper published in the prestigious American Journal based on the work of the Santa Cruz Chaos Cabal?
(a) "Fractals Everywhere".
(b) "Period Three Implies Chaos".
(c) "Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow".
(d) "Physical Review Letters".
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the implications of what theorem is that if a continuous discrete dynamical system on the real line has a periodic point of period 3, then it must have periodic points of every other period?
2. When William Burke returned to Santa Cruz in Chapter 9, "The Dynamical Systems Collective," he handed who a piece of paper to run through the analog computer?
3. What is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language?
4. What science deals with the visible, orderly outcomes of self-organization and the common principles behind similar patterns?
5. In Chapter 2, "Revolution," Gleick writes that the only problem with studying and experimenting with a new science is what?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)