|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 9-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what institution did William Burke earn his Bachelor of Science degree?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) The University of Paris.
2. In his paper, Kuhn argues that rival paradigms are ______, meaning that it is not possible to understand one paradigm through the conceptual framework and terminology of another rival paradigm.
3. Where did Michael Barnsley earn his Ph.D.?
(a) The University of Paris.
(b) The Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
(c) The University of Wisconsin-Madison.
(d) Johns Hopkins University.
4. Where was Edward Lorenz born?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Bangor, Maine.
(c) West Hartford, Connecticut.
(d) Atlantic City, New Jersey.
5. The National Weather Service is one of the six scientific agencies that make up what division of the U.S. Government?
(a) The Interior Department.
(b) The U.S. Coast Guard.
(c) The U.S. Navy.
(d) The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Yorke realized that one of the largest problems with his work was that mathematicians and physicists were often worlds apart because they did not what?
2. Where was James Yorke born?
3. In mathematics, what refers to a map that exhibits some sort of chaotic behavior?
4. James Yorke is credited with creating what term in reference to science?
5. What occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)