|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were used to address deep issues in theoretical physics according to the author in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
(b) Fractal basin boundaries.
(c) Period doubling bifurcation.
(d) Fluid dynamics.
2. When was James Yorke born?
3. What refers to the static or animated 2-D or 3-D visual representation of information about software systems based on their structure, size, history or behavior?
(a) Software visualization.
(b) Software metric.
(c) Cosmic arrhythmias.
(d) Fractal compression.
4. In control theory, a system is _____ if any of the roots of its characteristic equation has real part greater than zero.
5. Where is the Scripps Research Institute headquartered?
(a) Portland, Oregon.
(b) Tacoma, Washington.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) La Jolla, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what institution did Albert Libchaber earn his Ph.D.?
2. When was Benoit Mandelbrot born?
3. What is a concept in mathematics where a fixed rule describes the time dependence of a point in a geometrical space?
4. What is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language?
5. Where is Stephen Smale from?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)