|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a closed trajectory in phase space having the property that at least one other trajectory spirals into it either as time approaches infinity or as time approaches negative infinity?
(a) Fractal basin boundaries.
(b) Period doubling bifurcation.
(d) Fractal compression.
2. When was Robert May born?
3. When was Mitchell Feigenbaum offered a post at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico to study turbulence in fluids?
4. If a system is in what state, then the recently observed behavior of the system will continue into the future?
5. Who along with Heinz-Otto Peitgen studied phase transitions, nonmagnetization and magnetization in materials and their picture of those boundaries showed the complex beauty that began to seem to natural?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mathematical study of changes in the qualitative or topological structure of a given family, such as the integral curves of a family of vector fields, and the solutions of a family of differential equations?
2. What occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers?
3. What were used to address deep issues in theoretical physics according to the author in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
4. When did Albert Libchaber win the Wolf Prize in Physics?
5. When was Harry L. Swinney born?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)