|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were used to address deep issues in theoretical physics according to the author in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
(a) Fractal basin boundaries.
(b) Fluid dynamics.
(d) Period doubling bifurcation.
2. When was Michael Barnsley's book SuperFractals published?
3. In vector calculus, what refers to a vector field that points in the direction of the greatest rate of increase of the scalar field, and whose magnitude is the greatest rate of change?
(a) Euclidean space.
(c) Cantor dust.
(d) Boundary layer.
4. Where is Stephen Smale from?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Aurora, Illinois.
(c) Flint, Michigan.
(d) Fargo, North Dakota.
5. What work by Edward Lorenz greatly impacted the thinking of James Yorke, as described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
(a) "Period Three Implies Chaos".
(b) "Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow".
(c) "Physical Review Letters".
(d) "Fractals Everywhere".
Short Answer Questions
1. If a system is in what state, then the recently observed behavior of the system will continue into the future?
2. In fluid dynamics, what condition for viscous fluids states that at a solid boundary, the fluid will have zero velocity relative to the boundary?
3. For what company had Benoit Mandelbrot been working in economics, studying distribution of various incomes in the economy when he was invited by Houthakker to speak at Harvard?
4. Where was Mitchell Feigenbaum born?
5. In Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature," Houthakker explained to Mandelbrot the diagram in his office represented eight years of what?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)