|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What science deals with the visible, orderly outcomes of self-organization and the common principles behind similar patterns?
(a) Fluid dynamics.
(b) Theoretical physics.
(d) Pattern formation.
2. With whom did Harry Swinney perform experiments on the onset of turbulence for water in rotating cylinders?
(a) Gustav Mahler.
(b) Jerry Gollub.
(c) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
(d) Dr. Faustus.
3. In Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature," Houthakker explained to Mandelbrot the diagram in his office represented eight years of what?
(a) Corn prices.
(b) Almond prices.
(c) Cotton prices.
(d) Wheat prices.
4. What occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers?
(a) Laminar flow.
(b) Momentum diffusion.
(c) Theoretical physics.
(d) Chaos theory.
5. What is defined as a mess of disorder on all scales and is not stable?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who began to call the global construction of fractals "the chaos game" according to the author in Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos"?
2. What refers to systems whose behavior is intrinsically non-deterministic?
3. From what institution did Heinz-Otto Peitgen earn his Ph.D.?
4. What is the atomic number of helium?
5. In fluid dynamics, what consists of a viscous fluid confined in the gap between two rotating cylinders?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)