Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi do after she drops Ali off at Hotel Twentieth Century?
2. Why does Esi feel rejected?
3. What does Ali think of as home?
4. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
5. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Esi is afraid she'll never marry when she is younger and now she is afraid she will be stuck in her marriage.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Changes: A Love Story.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Changes: A Love Story.
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels and short stories have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Changes: A Love Story, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Changes: A Love Story. (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Titles can often say much about a story. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think there is something ironic about the title Changes: A Love Story? Why or why not. Discuss fully.
2. Who changes and why? Are the changes positive? Do they demonstrate a new understanding or wisdom?
3. Is it likely that Ali would never marry a second wife if he knew the problems it would entail? Do you think he would take on a third wife? Does he change?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)