|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi do after she drops Ali off at Hotel Twentieth Century?
2. Why does Esi feel rejected?
3. What does Ali think of as home?
4. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
5. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
Essay Topic 1
The subject of marriage is woven throughout Changes: A Love Story. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the following exchange between Opokuya and Esi in Chapter 11: Esi claims monogamy is so stifling. Opokuya, correcting her, says that she probably means marriage. Do you think Esi does mean monogamy? Compare/contrast the difference in meaning depending upon whether Esi means monogamy or marriage.
2. In that same chapter, Opokuya expresses the thought that Esi is very brave for trying an alternative lifestyle. Do you think Esi is brave or unwise? Or both? Discuss thoroughly using examples from the text.
3. Is Esi a pioneer in her country? Discuss thoroughly using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Changes: A Love Story could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Esi. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze Changes: A Love Story as a bildungsroman of Esi. Give specific examples. What does Esi learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze Changes: A Love Story as a feminist story. Give specific examples. What does Eis learn? What does Opokuya learn? What would feminist say about Esi's actions? Opokuya's actions? Ali's actions? Oko's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Over the past several hundred years, many emigrants have moved to the United States seeking relief from oppressive governments or oppressive cultural mores. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Esi or few females from Ghana move away (besides economics).
2. Discuss some of the things that would drive you to leave your home country to move to a new country and different culture.
3. If there is nothing that would make you leave your home country, discuss what about your country makes you want to live there for your entire life.
4. If you lived in a strongly patriarchal country, would you want to move to a different country? Discuss in relation to Changes: A Love Story.
This section contains 2,657 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)