Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi do after she drops Ali off at Hotel Twentieth Century?
2. Why does Esi feel rejected?
3. What does Ali think of as home?
4. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
5. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
Changes: A Love Story could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Esi. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze Changes: A Love Story as a bildungsroman of Esi. Give specific examples. What does Esi learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze Changes: A Love Story as a feminist story. Give specific examples. What does Eis learn? What does Opokuya learn? What would feminist say about Esi's actions? Opokuya's actions? Ali's actions? Oko's actions?
Polygamy is against the law in the United States, but many other countries, including Ghana used to allow men to have multiple wives but not wives having multiple husbands. Discuss the following:
1. What does it say about a culture that allows men to have several wives, but not the reverse? Discuss this in relation to Changes: A Love Story.
2. How do you think women are viewed in countries where polygamy is legal or at least not prosecuted? Discuss this in terms of Esi in Changes: A Love Story.
3. Should polygamy be controlled by law and what are the advantages and disadvantages of allowing polygamy?
4. Discuss the way you think a household with multiple wives would work, i.e., would one wife be in charge of the others and what about the children?
5. If polygamy were legal in your country for either men or woman, would you consider more than one husband or wife? Explain why or why not.
Certainly Changes: A Love Story deals with the subject of gender. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "gender."
2. Does gender only refer to whether a person is male or female? Is gender easy to identify?
3. Discuss the Ghanaian cultural definitions of gender during the time of Changes: A Love Story and the expectations for each gender. Do any of those expectations exist today?
4. Are women the only ones harmed by gender-based expectations? Why or why not.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)