|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musa's father always do at any new place with Musa Musa?
2. Who greets Esi at Hotel Twentieth Century?
3. Why is Ohyaanowa unhappy?
4. What happens two months after negotiations of the Kondeys and Al-Hassans?
5. What does Esi say to Opokuya that makes Opokuya wonder what's wrong with Esi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Esi hesitant to tell Opokuya what Esi is going through?
2. What is ironic about Esi's problems with Oko?
3. What does Oko think as he watches Esi dress?
4. How does Ali feel about his father and how is he different from his father?
5. What does the narrator say about Ali Kondey at the opening of this chapter.
6. How do Ali and Fusena meet and eventually marry?
7. What does Opokuya realize as she is riding home with Kubi?
8. What does Esi say that makes Opokuya feel concern for Esi?
9. What do both families insist happen before Ali leave for England?
10. Who is Opokuya and what is her relationship to Esi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Esi. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Ali. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss two characters of your choosing. What are their strengths? Weaknesses? How do they evolve over the course of the story? (or do they?) Are they likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Are they trustworthy? Wise? Would you want them as friends? Are they likely to be enemies?
Essay Topic 2
Titles can often say much about a story. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think there is something ironic about the title Changes: A Love Story? Why or why not. Discuss fully.
2. Who changes and why? Are the changes positive? Do they demonstrate a new understanding or wisdom?
3. Is it likely that Ali would never marry a second wife if he knew the problems it would entail? Do you think he would take on a third wife? Does he change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Changes: A Love Story based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Changes: A Love Story is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Changes: A Love Story is a feminist novel with a specific agenda changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)