|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do Ali's relatives agree?
(a) To go to Esi's people.
(b) To talk Fusena into the marriage.
(c) To stay out of Ali's life.
(d) Nothing since Ali has not talked to them.
2. Why would Esi's mother have thought it alright for Oko to take another wife?
(a) The other wife could bear all the children.
(b) Her mother was opposed to Oko taking another wife also.
(c) Oko wouldn't then rape Esi if she did not want sex.
(d) Esi would have been the senior wife.
3. What does Esi notice in Ali's voice when she phones him?
(c) Impatience and tiredness.
4. From where did Ali receive an urgent message?
(a) His mother.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His office in Abidjan.
(d) His office in London.
5. What does Ali tell Esi is the reason he has to go by his office nightly?
(a) He has to check for messages from his son who is in the United States.
(b) He has to sign all the paperwork generated during the day.
(c) He has to check to see that the safe has been properly locked.
(d) He cannot tell her the reason.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi say her mother does not like about Esi and Ali's possible marriage?
2. Why does Ali feel the gift is inappropriate?
3. About what does Opokuya wonder concerning Esi and Fusena?
4. What does Ali do traditionally on New Year's Eve?
5. After Bamako, how is Esi feeling about her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kubi and Oko's interaction.
2. What surprises Esi about Ali when she is discussing his travels?
3. How does Esi being there help Opokuya out of a dilemma and what does every advise Esi to do?
4. Where does Esi go after dropping Ali off in her new car and what does she offer Opokuya?
5. What does Ali buy Esi and what is her reaction?
6. What does Esi feel after leaving Opokuya's home?
7. What does Ali decide to do to assuage his guilt, but how does that only increase his guilt and Esi's shame?
8. For what does Ali apologize to his people and how does he rationalize his actions?
9. What happens that makes Fusena give her consent to Ali marrying Esi?
10. How is Esi feeling after a year of marriage to Ali?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)