|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esi upset about Oko's mother concerning Ogyaanowa?
(a) Oko's mother is already arranging a marriage for Ogyaanowa.
(b) Oko's mother will not allow Ogyaanowa to visit for the holidays.
(c) Oko's mother says unkind things about Esi to Ogyaanowa.
(d) Oko's mother is sending Ogyaanowa to boarding school in France.
2. What does Ali give Esi for a New Year's present?
(a) A vacation to the United States.
(b) A promise to spend more time with her.
(c) A gift certificate.
(d) A car.
3. Why does Ali feel the gift is inappropriate?
(a) She will be his second wife.
(b) It indicates their relationship has changed.
(c) She does feel it is an appropriate gift.
(d) It is way too expensive.
4. What does Esi find unacceptable about Ali's new secretary?
(a) She is single.
(b) Ali takes her to her home every day.
(c) She always sides with Fusena.
(d) She does not acknowledge Esi as Ali's wife.
5. What does Kweku say when he knocks on Opokuya's bedroom door?
(a) That the beans have burned rather badly.
(b) That Esi and Ogyaanowa are there.
(c) That the potatoes are boiling over.
(d) That Kubi is mad that Opokuya is not in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ali say when Esi demands to know why he's been gone so long?
2. Why does Opokuya say Esi is brave?
3. What does Esi say when Kubi wants to check on Oko?
4. What does Ali say when Esi asks him if he has talked to Fusena about Esi?
5. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Esi go after dropping Ali off in her new car and what does she offer Opokuya?
2. Describe Esi's conversation with Opokuya three months after ending her marriage with Ali.
3. What happens after the trip to Bamako?
4. For what does Ali apologize to his people and how does he rationalize his actions?
5. How does Esi being there help Opokuya out of a dilemma and what does every advise Esi to do?
6. What does the conversation between Ama and Aba concern at the opening to the second part of Changes?
7. What does Esi's father ask Ali concerning his intentions to marry Esi, and what is Ali's response?
8. Who arrives at Esi's house while Ali is still there and what happens?
9. What indication is there that Ali and Esi are starting to have difficulties in their relationship in Chapter 10?
10. How does Esi finally make a break with Ali near the end of their third year of marriage?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)