|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ali say when Esi demands to know why he's been gone so long?
(a) He says he was away on business and tried to call.
(b) He says his mother needed him back in the country.
(c) He says Fusena was ill.
(d) He says his daughter was ill.
2. What are Ama and Aba doing at the opening of this section?
(a) Talking about Ali.
(b) Preparing for Oko's wedding.
(c) Discussing why men leave women.
(d) Preparing for Esi's wedding.
3. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
(b) No one.
4. What does Mma. Danjuma know when she sees Esi?
(a) She will never warm to Esi.
(b) Esi is Fusena's inferior in every way.
(c) Esi is Fusena's superior in every way.
(d) She will be good friends with Esi.
5. What does Esi tell Ali to do?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Choose between her and Fusena.
(c) Go home to his wife and children.
(d) Start seeing her every week or not at all.
6. What does Esi say about Fusena?
(a) She hasn't even met her.
(b) She is harsh and rigid.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is unhappy in her marriage and is glad Esi is alleviating some of Ali's sexual energy.
7. What traditional rule has been already broken concerning Ali and Esi according to Opokuya?
(a) Fusena is pregnant and Esi is supposed to be there helping her.
(b) Esi is wearing a ring.
(c) Esi is having sexual relations before marriage.
(d) The first wife has to approve of subsequent wives.
8. Why does Ali worry about support from his family for his second marriage?
(a) They all adore Fusena.
(b) They believe Esi comes from a much lower social class.
(c) They think Esi is too old to have more children.
(d) They think Esi is too educated.
9. What does Ali seem like the type of man to Esi?
(a) One who is rigidly traditional.
(b) One who does not believe in tradition.
(c) One who does not need someone.
(d) One who is absolutely honest.
10. What is the worst time of the year for Esi?
(a) Ali's birthday.
(b) Her birthday.
(c) The beginning of the school year when she does not have Ogyaanowa.
(d) The end of the year.
11. What does Esi ask Opokuya concerning Oko?
(a) If Opokuya thinks Esi should have stayed married to Oko.
(b) If Oko is well.
(c) If Oko has remarried.
(d) If Oko seems to miss her.
12. What is Opokuya thinking of doing before going to the hospital early the next morning?
(a) Taking a leisurely bath.
(c) Going over to Esi's house.
(d) Sleeping late.
13. What does Esi realize about her job?
(a) She hates it.
(b) She likes it.
(c) It is a dead end.
(d) It has endless possibilities.
14. Why is Esi upset about Oko's mother concerning Ogyaanowa?
(a) Oko's mother is already arranging a marriage for Ogyaanowa.
(b) Oko's mother says unkind things about Esi to Ogyaanowa.
(c) Oko's mother will not allow Ogyaanowa to visit for the holidays.
(d) Oko's mother is sending Ogyaanowa to boarding school in France.
15. From where did Ali receive an urgent message?
(a) His office in London.
(b) His office in Abidjan.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Esi feeling free and content?
2. After Bamako, how is Esi feeling about her marriage?
3. Why does Ali feel the gift is inappropriate?
4. Where does Kubi and two nephews go?
5. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)