|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traditional rule has been already broken concerning Ali and Esi according to Opokuya?
(a) Fusena is pregnant and Esi is supposed to be there helping her.
(b) Esi is having sexual relations before marriage.
(c) Esi is wearing a ring.
(d) The first wife has to approve of subsequent wives.
2. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
(a) Whether more than one wife is wise.
(b) If he should divorce Esi before she gets pregnant.
(c) Which wife he will make love to.
(d) If he should allow Fusena the divorce she wants.
3. To what does Fusena agree?
(a) All of Ali's relatives' suggestions.
(b) To demand strong concessions from Ali.
(c) To divorce Ali.
(d) To at least meet Esi.
4. Against what does Ali advise Esi?
(a) Pressing legal charges against Oko.
(b) Letting Ogyaanowa go off with Oko right now.
(c) Telling Esi's mother about the incident between Ali and Oko.
(d) Returning home for a few days.
5. What happens when Opokuya's two eldest children are left in charge of cooking for the holiday?
(a) They refuse to do much.
(b) They constantly interrupt Opokuya with questions.
(c) It does not go well.
(d) They cook an incredible amount of delicious food.
6. What does Ali seem like the type of man to Esi?
(a) One who does not believe in tradition.
(b) One who is rigidly traditional.
(c) One who does not need someone.
(d) One who is absolutely honest.
7. What does Ali give Esi for a New Year's present?
(a) A car.
(b) A vacation to the United States.
(c) A gift certificate.
(d) A promise to spend more time with her.
8. What does Esi say about Fusena?
(a) She hasn't even met her.
(b) She is unhappy in her marriage and is glad Esi is alleviating some of Ali's sexual energy.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is harsh and rigid.
9. What does Fusena realize when Ali's female relatives visit her?
(a) That they do not want Ali to marry again.
(b) That they are betraying her.
(c) That they want her to divorce Ali.
(d) That they have been unable to dissuade Ali from marriage to Esi.
10. What does Esi tell Ali to do?
(a) Choose between her and Fusena.
(b) Start seeing her every week or not at all.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Go home to his wife and children.
11. Why does Fusena sometimes call Ali at Esi's house?
(a) To give him a message from his mother.
(b) To ask his advice about their son.
(c) To ask him to bring home groceries.
(d) If he is late getting home.
12. What does Esi do when she hears Ogyaanowa cry?
(a) Tells her to go outside.
(b) Takes Ogyaanowa to her grandmother's home.
(c) Comes out of the bedroom and takes Ogyaanowa and drives off.
(d) Shames Oko and Ali into behaving.
13. What does Esi realize about her job?
(a) It is a dead end.
(b) She likes it.
(c) It has endless possibilities.
(d) She hates it.
14. What does Ali bring Esi?
(a) A writ of divorce.
(b) A request from Fusena that Esi move in with them.
(c) A request from Fusena that Esi divorce Ali.
(d) Extravagant gifts.
15. What does Esi find unacceptable about Ali's new secretary?
(a) She always sides with Fusena.
(b) She is single.
(c) Ali takes her to her home every day.
(d) She does not acknowledge Esi as Ali's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ali's family live?
2. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
3. What happens when Opokuya drives off with Esi's old car?
4. What does Esi tell Ali when he visits after not doing so for weeks?
5. What is Esi eventually feeling?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)