|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Esi's mother have thought it alright for Oko to take another wife?
(a) Oko wouldn't then rape Esi if she did not want sex.
(b) Her mother was opposed to Oko taking another wife also.
(c) The other wife could bear all the children.
(d) Esi would have been the senior wife.
2. To what does Fusena agree?
(a) To demand strong concessions from Ali.
(b) To divorce Ali.
(c) To at least meet Esi.
(d) All of Ali's relatives' suggestions.
3. What does Esi not want to remember?
(a) That she was ungrateful to Ali when he brought the car.
(b) That she has not seen Ali for weeks until he brings her the car.
(c) That Ali can have more than two wives.
(d) That she has not seen Ogyaanowa for three months.
4. What does Kweku say when he knocks on Opokuya's bedroom door?
(a) That the potatoes are boiling over.
(b) That Esi and Ogyaanowa are there.
(c) That the beans have burned rather badly.
(d) That Kubi is mad that Opokuya is not in the kitchen.
5. Why does Ali feel the gift is inappropriate?
(a) It indicates their relationship has changed.
(b) She does feel it is an appropriate gift.
(c) She will be his second wife.
(d) It is way too expensive.
6. What does Ali seem like the type of man to Esi?
(a) One who does not need someone.
(b) One who does not believe in tradition.
(c) One who is absolutely honest.
(d) One who is rigidly traditional.
7. What does Esi find unacceptable about Ali's new secretary?
(a) She always sides with Fusena.
(b) She is single.
(c) She does not acknowledge Esi as Ali's wife.
(d) Ali takes her to her home every day.
8. Against what does Ali advise Esi?
(a) Letting Ogyaanowa go off with Oko right now.
(b) Telling Esi's mother about the incident between Ali and Oko.
(c) Pressing legal charges against Oko.
(d) Returning home for a few days.
9. What does Ali say when Esi demands to know why he's been gone so long?
(a) He says he was away on business and tried to call.
(b) He says his mother needed him back in the country.
(c) He says Fusena was ill.
(d) He says his daughter was ill.
10. About what does Opokuya wonder concerning Esi and Fusena?
(a) If Esi would rebel against Fusena's demands as senior wife.
(b) If Fusena would continue to have all the children.
(c) If Esi would be willing to live in a household with another wife.
(d) Whether they could become friends.
11. What does Musa Musa do after Ali mollifies him?
(a) Takes him to see his new goat herd.
(b) Welcomes Esi into the family.
(c) Openly flirts with Esi.
(d) Gives him a wedding gift.
12. What wakes Esi from a deep sleep on New Year's Day?
(a) A phone call from Ali.
(b) A phone call from Ogyaanowa.
(c) A horn from a car.
(d) A phone call from Oko.
13. Why does Opokuya say Esi is brave?
(a) For not running back to Oko.
(b) For divorcing in the first place.
(c) For defying her mother.
(d) For trying an alternative lifestyle.
14. What does Esi see through Ali's gifts?
(a) The world.
(b) Another kind, caring side to Ali.
(c) His inadequacies as a husband.
(d) That he wants to please her but cannot.
15. What does Esi wonder about concerning children?
(a) She wonders if Ali will allow her to have children.
(b) How they will have any if Ali is never there.
(c) She wonders if children would strengthen or weaken her marriage with Ali.
(d) She wonders if Ali is going to make her have children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi realize about her job?
2. Why is Esi feeling free and content?
3. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
4. Why does Ali feel guilty at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What happens when Opokuya's two eldest children are left in charge of cooking for the holiday?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)