|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens one day as Ali is pulling away from Esi's house?
(a) He slumps over the wheel.
(b) He hits a bicyclist.
(c) He smashes into Esi's car.
(d) Opokuya pulls in.
2. What does Esi see through Ali's gifts?
(a) Another kind, caring side to Ali.
(b) The world.
(c) That he wants to please her but cannot.
(d) His inadequacies as a husband.
3. What traditional rule has been already broken concerning Ali and Esi according to Opokuya?
(a) Esi is wearing a ring.
(b) The first wife has to approve of subsequent wives.
(c) Esi is having sexual relations before marriage.
(d) Fusena is pregnant and Esi is supposed to be there helping her.
4. What does Ali continually do to Esi?
(a) Tells her he's coming and then not show up.
(b) Makes excuses about why he cannot visit her.
(c) Makes her feel like a second wife.
(d) Puts her down.
5. What does Esi tell Ali when he visits after not doing so for weeks?
(a) They do not have a marriage.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That she misses him.
(d) That she wants to live with him and Fusena.
6. Against what does Ali advise Esi?
(a) Pressing legal charges against Oko.
(b) Telling Esi's mother about the incident between Ali and Oko.
(c) Letting Ogyaanowa go off with Oko right now.
(d) Returning home for a few days.
7. What does Fusena realize when Ali's female relatives visit her?
(a) That they do not want Ali to marry again.
(b) That they want her to divorce Ali.
(c) That they have been unable to dissuade Ali from marriage to Esi.
(d) That they are betraying her.
8. What is the worst time of the year for Esi?
(a) Ali's birthday.
(b) The end of the year.
(c) The beginning of the school year when she does not have Ogyaanowa.
(d) Her birthday.
9. To which relatives does Ali finally talk?
(a) The ones he is most sure will be supportive.
(b) The ones in Nima.
(c) The most elderly.
(d) He decides not to talk to any of his relatives.
10. To what do Ali's relatives agree?
(a) To talk Fusena into the marriage.
(b) To go to Esi's people.
(c) Nothing since Ali has not talked to them.
(d) To stay out of Ali's life.
11. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
(b) No one.
12. What does Esi do after she drops Ali off at Hotel Twentieth Century?
(a) Goes to pick up Ogyaanowa.
(b) Drives out to the country.
(c) Goes to visit Opokuya.
(d) Drives to visit her mother.
13. What is one thing Esi's father asks Ali?
(a) If Ali expects children from Esi.
(b) If Ali has been faithful to his first wife except with Esi.
(c) If Ali can afford two wives.
(d) If his first wife knows of Ali's desire to marry Esi.
14. For what does Esi feel guilty?
(a) For sharing her doubts about Ali with her mother.
(b) sharing her doubts about Ali with Ogyaanowa.
(c) For not being more understanding of Ali.
(d) For sharing her doubts about Ali with Opokuya.
15. Where does Ali take Esi halfway through the New Year?
(c) No where.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Opokuya thinking of doing before going to the hospital early the next morning?
2. What does Esi say when Kubi wants to check on Oko?
3. Why does Ali feel guilty at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Why is Esi feeling free and content?
5. What does Ali do traditionally on New Year's Eve?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)