|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks Ali's female relatives?
(a) That Esi is not Muslim.
(b) That Esi will not live with Ali and Fusena.
(c) That Fusena is divorcing Ali.
(d) That their educated daughters are not any better off than they were.
2. What does Ali give Esi for a New Year's present?
(a) A gift certificate.
(b) A promise to spend more time with her.
(c) A vacation to the United States.
(d) A car.
3. What does Esi say her mother thinks concerning marrying Ali?
(a) He is out of Esi's social class and his family will not accept her.
(b) He is wonderful and will be a good husband.
(c) Esi deserves better than sharing a man.
(d) He is hiding something and Esi will not learn until after marriage.
4. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
(d) No one.
5. What does Esi say about Fusena?
(a) She is unhappy in her marriage and is glad Esi is alleviating some of Ali's sexual energy.
(b) She is kind.
(c) She hasn't even met her.
(d) She is harsh and rigid.
6. Why is Esi upset about Oko's mother concerning Ogyaanowa?
(a) Oko's mother is already arranging a marriage for Ogyaanowa.
(b) Oko's mother will not allow Ogyaanowa to visit for the holidays.
(c) Oko's mother is sending Ogyaanowa to boarding school in France.
(d) Oko's mother says unkind things about Esi to Ogyaanowa.
7. To what do Ali's relatives agree?
(a) Nothing since Ali has not talked to them.
(b) To go to Esi's people.
(c) To stay out of Ali's life.
(d) To talk Fusena into the marriage.
8. What does Esi find unacceptable about Ali's new secretary?
(a) Ali takes her to her home every day.
(b) She is single.
(c) She does not acknowledge Esi as Ali's wife.
(d) She always sides with Fusena.
9. What does Ali tell Esi is the reason he has to go by his office nightly?
(a) He has to sign all the paperwork generated during the day.
(b) He has to check to see that the safe has been properly locked.
(c) He cannot tell her the reason.
(d) He has to check for messages from his son who is in the United States.
10. What does Opokuya ask of Esi?
(a) To take her to downtown.
(b) To sell her Esi's old car.
(c) To babysit for her.
(d) To come with her to Opokuya's mother's house.
11. What does Esi say her mother does not like about Esi and Ali's possible marriage?
(a) Esi getting pregnant anymore since the first pregnancy almost kills her.
(b) Esi keeping her job.
(c) Esi being a second wife.
(d) Esi living in a different town from Ali.
12. What happens one day as Ali is pulling away from Esi's house?
(a) Opokuya pulls in.
(b) He smashes into Esi's car.
(c) He slumps over the wheel.
(d) He hits a bicyclist.
13. What surprises Ali and Esi after they have made love?
(a) There is a knock on the door.
(b) They feel so fused yet are so different.
(c) They both want Fusena to be happy.
(d) They are still so passionate about each other.
14. What does Esi tell Ali when he visits after not doing so for weeks?
(a) They do not have a marriage.
(b) That she misses him.
(c) That she wants to live with him and Fusena.
(d) That she is pregnant.
15. What does Ali say when Esi demands to know why he's been gone so long?
(a) He says Fusena was ill.
(b) He says he was away on business and tried to call.
(c) He says his daughter was ill.
(d) He says his mother needed him back in the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Ama and Aba doing at the opening of this section?
2. Why does Ali worry about support from his family for his second marriage?
3. What does Ali say when Fusena asks if Esi is Muslim?
4. What is one thing Esi's father asks Ali?
5. What does Esi realize about her job?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)