|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Opokuya drives off with Esi's old car?
(b) Esi cries.
(c) Esi worries it will break down.
(d) Esi runs out after her.
2. What does Ali think of as home?
(a) No where.
(b) His office.
(c) His childhood home with his aunt.
(d) His house with Fusena.
3. What does Esi tell Ali when he visits after not doing so for weeks?
(a) They do not have a marriage.
(b) That she misses him.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she wants to live with him and Fusena.
4. What does Ali continually do to Esi?
(a) Makes her feel like a second wife.
(b) Puts her down.
(c) Makes excuses about why he cannot visit her.
(d) Tells her he's coming and then not show up.
5. What does Ali say when Fusena asks if Esi is Muslim?
(b) She will learn about Islam and allow her children to be raised Muslim but she will not convert.
(d) She is willing to convert.
6. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
(a) After the negotiations.
(b) Till her birthday.
(c) Until they to to visit her family.
(d) After the actual marriage.
7. How does Opokuya correct Esi about her view on monogamy?
(a) She says she thinks Esi means marriage, not mongamy.
(b) She says it is for the wife's benefit more than the husband.
(c) She says it is for the husband's benefit more than the wife.
(d) She says monogamy is not the issue.
8. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
(d) No one.
9. What does Ali seem like the type of man to Esi?
(a) One who is absolutely honest.
(b) One who does not believe in tradition.
(c) One who is rigidly traditional.
(d) One who does not need someone.
10. Why would Esi's mother have thought it alright for Oko to take another wife?
(a) Oko wouldn't then rape Esi if she did not want sex.
(b) The other wife could bear all the children.
(c) Esi would have been the senior wife.
(d) Her mother was opposed to Oko taking another wife also.
11. Why is Esi feeling free and content?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Her marriage hopes have been fulfilled.
(c) She has been promoted.
(d) She is seeing Ali regularly.
12. What does Esi find unacceptable about Ali's new secretary?
(a) Ali takes her to her home every day.
(b) She does not acknowledge Esi as Ali's wife.
(c) She always sides with Fusena.
(d) She is single.
13. What are Ama and Aba doing at the opening of this section?
(a) Talking about Ali.
(b) Discussing why men leave women.
(c) Preparing for Oko's wedding.
(d) Preparing for Esi's wedding.
14. Why does Ali worry about support from his family for his second marriage?
(a) They think Esi is too old to have more children.
(b) They all adore Fusena.
(c) They think Esi is too educated.
(d) They believe Esi comes from a much lower social class.
15. Against what does Ali advise Esi?
(a) Returning home for a few days.
(b) Pressing legal charges against Oko.
(c) Letting Ogyaanowa go off with Oko right now.
(d) Telling Esi's mother about the incident between Ali and Oko.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ali take Esi halfway through the New Year?
2. What shocks Ali's female relatives?
3. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
4. What is the worst time of the year for Esi?
5. After Bamako, how is Esi feeling about her marriage?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)