|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ali tell Esi is the reason he has to go by his office nightly?
(a) He cannot tell her the reason.
(b) He has to check for messages from his son who is in the United States.
(c) He has to sign all the paperwork generated during the day.
(d) He has to check to see that the safe has been properly locked.
2. Why would Esi's mother have thought it alright for Oko to take another wife?
(a) The other wife could bear all the children.
(b) Oko wouldn't then rape Esi if she did not want sex.
(c) Her mother was opposed to Oko taking another wife also.
(d) Esi would have been the senior wife.
3. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
(a) Whether more than one wife is wise.
(b) If he should divorce Esi before she gets pregnant.
(c) Which wife he will make love to.
(d) If he should allow Fusena the divorce she wants.
4. What does Ali give Esi?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A pair of diamond earrings.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A gold ring.
5. What are Ama and Aba doing at the opening of this section?
(a) Preparing for Esi's wedding.
(b) Discussing why men leave women.
(c) Preparing for Oko's wedding.
(d) Talking about Ali.
6. What does Esi propose she and Ali do as far as her family?
(a) Ignore their misgivings.
(b) Pretend Esi is not involved with Ali.
(c) Go visit them.
(d) Let them know about the marriage after the fact.
7. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
(a) Till her birthday.
(b) After the negotiations.
(c) After the actual marriage.
(d) Until they to to visit her family.
8. What does Ali do traditionally on New Year's Eve?
(a) Spends it with his father.
(b) Spends it in London.
(d) Spends it with Fusena and their children.
9. Where does Ali's family live?
(a) Mostly in England.
(b) Mostly in France.
(c) Mostly in South Africa.
(d) Up North.
10. About what does Esi laugh concerning the African male?
(a) His jealousy.
(b) His demands for propriety.
(c) His insecurity.
(d) His insolence.
11. Why does Esi feel rejected?
(a) Ogyaanowa is happy to leave with her father.
(b) Opokuya suggests it's time for Esi to go home.
(c) Ali does not want her to come to the home he shares with Fusena.
(d) Ali says he will not visit her for a while at her house.
12. What does Esi notice in Ali's voice when she phones him?
(d) Impatience and tiredness.
13. When do Ali and Esi go to her family's village?
14. When does Esi get really angry at Ali?
(a) After he says he is marrying his secretary.
(b) After he says he cannot visit her there anymore.
(c) Near the end of their third year of marriage.
(d) Near the end of their second year of marriage.
15. After Bamako, how is Esi feeling about her marriage?
(a) She is happy Ali is not around much.
(b) She feels more like Ali's wife.
(c) She is disappointed in Ali's family's reception of her.
(d) She is sorry she marries Ali.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Opokuya happy for Esi?
2. What does Mma. Danjuma know when she sees Esi?
3. What does Ali say when Esi asks him if he has talked to Fusena about Esi?
4. About what does Opokuya wonder concerning Esi and Fusena?
5. Who begins banging on Esi's door?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)