|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bamako, how is Esi feeling about her marriage?
(a) She is happy Ali is not around much.
(b) She is disappointed in Ali's family's reception of her.
(c) She is sorry she marries Ali.
(d) She feels more like Ali's wife.
2. What does Musa Musa do after Ali mollifies him?
(a) Takes him to see his new goat herd.
(b) Openly flirts with Esi.
(c) Gives him a wedding gift.
(d) Welcomes Esi into the family.
3. Where does Kubi and two nephews go?
(a) To Esi's home.
(b) To get more potatoes.
(c) To watch t.v. at a neighbor's house.
(d) To get more beans.
4. What does Fusena realize when Ali's female relatives visit her?
(a) That they do not want Ali to marry again.
(b) That they want her to divorce Ali.
(c) That they have been unable to dissuade Ali from marriage to Esi.
(d) That they are betraying her.
5. Why does Fusena sometimes call Ali at Esi's house?
(a) To ask his advice about their son.
(b) If he is late getting home.
(c) To give him a message from his mother.
(d) To ask him to bring home groceries.
6. Where does Ali take Esi halfway through the New Year?
(a) No where.
7. Who calls Esi at the Dakwas?
(b) Esi's mother.
8. When does Esi want to wait to wear Ali's gift?
(a) Till her birthday.
(b) After the negotiations.
(c) After the actual marriage.
(d) Until they to to visit her family.
9. From where did Ali receive an urgent message?
(a) His office in London.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His office in Abidjan.
(d) His mother.
10. When does Esi get really angry at Ali?
(a) Near the end of their second year of marriage.
(b) After he says he cannot visit her there anymore.
(c) Near the end of their third year of marriage.
(d) After he says he is marrying his secretary.
11. What does Ali ponder about New Year's Eve?
(a) If he should divorce Esi before she gets pregnant.
(b) Which wife he will make love to.
(c) If he should allow Fusena the divorce she wants.
(d) Whether more than one wife is wise.
12. What does Esi do when she hears Ogyaanowa cry?
(a) Takes Ogyaanowa to her grandmother's home.
(b) Comes out of the bedroom and takes Ogyaanowa and drives off.
(c) Tells her to go outside.
(d) Shames Oko and Ali into behaving.
13. What are Ama and Aba doing at the opening of this section?
(a) Talking about Ali.
(b) Preparing for Esi's wedding.
(c) Preparing for Oko's wedding.
(d) Discussing why men leave women.
14. For what does Esi feel guilty?
(a) sharing her doubts about Ali with Ogyaanowa.
(b) For sharing her doubts about Ali with her mother.
(c) For sharing her doubts about Ali with Opokuya.
(d) For not being more understanding of Ali.
15. What does Esi see through Ali's gifts?
(a) The world.
(b) That he wants to please her but cannot.
(c) His inadequacies as a husband.
(d) Another kind, caring side to Ali.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what shape does Kubi find Oko?
2. Why is Opokuya happy for Esi?
3. What does Esi propose she and Ali do as far as her family?
4. What does Ali do traditionally on New Year's Eve?
5. Why does Ali worry about support from his family for his second marriage?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)