|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches Esi dress with pleasure?
(a) Esi herself in the mirror.
(c) No one.
2. To what does Fusena agree before Ali leaves Ghana?
(a) To write him every week.
(b) To wait for his return and not marry someone else.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To go with him.
3. What does Esi realize she has endured when she gets to her office?
(a) Sexism at work.
(b) Several pregnancies.
(c) Too many years of silence from Oko.
(d) Marital rape.
4. Where is Ogyaanowa staying until school starts?.
(a) With her father.
(b) At her aunt's house.
(c) At her grandmother's house.
(d) With her best friend traveling in Europe.
5. What does Esi confide to Opokuya?
(a) That she is ill.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That she is changing jobs.
(d) That she has left Oko.
6. What was a major reason Oko was first attracted to Esi?
(a) Her looks.
(b) Her air of independence.
(c) Her wit.
(d) Her good job.
7. Upon what do Esi and Opokuya agree?
(a) That Ali Kondey is handsome.
(b) That Kubi is easier to take than Oko.
(c) That men are good most of the time.
(d) That Esi would do well to stay away from Ali Kondey.
8. What does Esi tell the man she is doing?
(a) Writing a government grant proposal.
(b) Calling for a substitute secretary.
(d) Checking on travel arrangements.
9. What makes Opokuya and Esi's friendship hard to believe?
(a) They are so different from each other.
(b) One is Jewish and the other Muslim.
(c) One is Muslim and one is Christian.
(d) They hated each other when they were children.
10. What does Fusena start feeling upset in her marriage?
(a) She has not managed to get pregnant.
(b) She wants to stay home with the kids but has to work.
(c) Her husband is getting more education than she.
(d) Her husband has married two more wifes.
11. Why does Ali Kondey come into the hotel?
(a) To find Esi.
(b) To meet his son.
(c) For a business meeting with a client.
(d) To meet his wife.
12. How does Oko's mother act to Esi when Esi and Oko's marriage ends?
(a) As if she knew it would happen.
13. Why are Esi and Opokuya still talking even though it's getting late?
(a) They are waiting for a taxi.
(b) Kubi has not yet arrived.
(c) They are waiting to have dinner with their husbands together.
(d) They are waiting for Opokuya's daughter.
14. What does Oko still blame himself for over a year after Esi leaves him?
(a) He blames himself for nothing.
(b) Staying in bed too long on the morning he rapes Esi.
(c) Not listening more to Esi.
(d) Wanting to control Esi too much.
15. What does Ali see as a gift from Allah?
(a) His wife and children.
(b) The beautiful weather.
(c) Meeting Esi.
(d) His career.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the narrator say Ali Kondey is an effective advertisement?
2. What happens two months after negotiations of the Kondeys and Al-Hassans?
3. What does Esi refuse from Ali Kondey?
4. Who does Oko's mother leave at his house one day?
5. Why does Esi say her marriage fails?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)