|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Opokuya want the car today?
(a) To go to a meeting in a nearby town.
(b) To visit her grandmother.
(c) To shop for school clothes for the children.
(d) To visit Kubi's sister.
2. What is there little of between Oko and Esi lately?
3. What makes Opokuya and Esi's friendship hard to believe?
(a) One is Jewish and the other Muslim.
(b) One is Muslim and one is Christian.
(c) They are so different from each other.
(d) They hated each other when they were children.
4. What does Oko want?
(a) To take Esi to specialists in France.
(b) For Esi to give him another chance.
(c) For Esi not to work at all.
(d) For Esi to carry the child to term.
5. What does Ali do when he hears of Esi's divorce?
(a) Writes Oko a sympathy letter.
(c) Courts her.
(d) Divorces his wife.
6. What does Esi think about marrying again?
(a) She does not want a man oppressing her all the time.
(b) She would like to if for not other reason than for her daughter's sake.
(c) She doesn't really think about it yet.
(d) She would like to if the right man comes along.
7. What does Fusena not remember after having been away for two years?
(a) How it feels to teach.
(b) The way women are second class in Ghana.
(c) The social rigidity of Ghana.
(d) How it feels to not be pregnant or nursing.
8. Where is Esi driving at the opening of the novel?
(a) To pick up her son at soccer meet.
(b) Linga Hideaways.
(c) To pick up her husband.
(d) To the airport.
9. How does Kubi thing Opokuya should get to her clients?
(a) Have the client pick her up.
(b) The hospital van.
(d) The bus.
10. Why are Esi and Opokuya still talking even though it's getting late?
(a) They are waiting for Opokuya's daughter.
(b) Kubi has not yet arrived.
(c) They are waiting to have dinner with their husbands together.
(d) They are waiting for a taxi.
11. Who greets Esi at Hotel Twentieth Century?
12. What does Esi tell the man she is doing?
(a) Checking on travel arrangements.
(c) Calling for a substitute secretary.
(d) Writing a government grant proposal.
13. For what does Kubi say he is late?
(a) A meeting with some clients.
(b) To pick up a co-worker.
(c) He says he is not late.
(d) A budget meeting.
14. What does Esi's grandmother say about feeling grateful to a man?
(a) It degrades the woman.
(b) It creates imbalance in a marriage.
(c) It creates a trap which is hard to escape.
(d) It's enough of a reason to marry him.
15. Where is Ogyaanowa staying until school starts?.
(a) With her best friend traveling in Europe.
(b) At her grandmother's house.
(c) At her aunt's house.
(d) With her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esi confide to Opokuya?
2. What does Esi do that surprises Oko's mother?
3. Whose company does Ali enjoy?
4. What does Esi say to Opokuya that makes Opokuya wonder what's wrong with Esi?
5. What does Esi end up doing when the secretary is away?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)