|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
2. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
3. Chanel designed costumes for plays at which venue?
4. What did Boy's transfer away from the front lines allow him to do?
5. Who was George Clemenceau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
2. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
3. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
4. What decision was Chanel required to make when she turned eighteen?
5. What was special about Chanel's work for the 1924 dance operetta, Blue Train?
6. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
7. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
8. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
9. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
10. What was different about what Chanel wore to the racetrack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the photographs in the book. What impact do they have for the reader? Why were the particular photographs in the book chosen? What do the photographs tell the reader than the words do not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significant romantic relationships in Chanel's life. Describe the men in her life. How did she feel about them? Why did the relationships end? Why did Chanel never marry? Who did she claim was the one true love in her life? How did these men impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Chanel moved in very creative circles. She brushed shoulders with a number of the influential artists of her generation. Discuss the brilliant minds that surrounded Chanel and how they might have affected her own creativity.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)