|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chanel's role in her theatre performances?
2. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
3. Who eventually took over Chanel's shop at Biarritz?
4. Simply put, for what did Chanel become famous?
5. What did Paul Morand write about Chanel and Capel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emilienne d'Alecon.
2. What role did Vogue magazine play when Chanel began mass-producing dresses?
3. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
4. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
5. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
6. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
7. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
8. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
9. Explain Chanel's brief involvement with Hollywood.
10. Why was Boy Capel an ideal match for Chanel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the book. What is a biography? Is a biography guaranteed to be fact? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influential relationships in Chanel's life. How did these relationships impact Chanel's career and her style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Belle Ã‰poque. What is it and when did it occur? How does the fashion and opulence of that time period compare to the fashion of Chanel? Why did the Belle Ã‰poque come to an end?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)