|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment gave Chanel her first major commercial success?
2. Who did Chanel select to be the director of design for her new line of jewelry?
3. What made Chanel different from the other girls at the novitiate?
4. Who did Capel have make an elegant version of the simple lines Chanel always wore?
5. Who did Chanel choose as her lover from the 10th Chasseurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
2. What role did Vogue magazine play when Chanel began mass-producing dresses?
3. What was special about Chanel's work for the 1924 dance operetta, Blue Train?
4. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
5. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
6. How did late eighteenth-century photographs of Chanel already exhibit her unique style?
7. Describe Emilienne d'Alecon.
8. What inspired Chanel's English period?
9. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
10. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chanel's life as a part of the demimonde. What was the demimonde? How did this time in her life impact her career?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chanel's self-imposed exile during and after WWII. Why did she go to Switzerland? What occurred in the fashion world while she was living in Switzerland? What spurred her to return to France?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significant romantic relationships in Chanel's life. Describe the men in her life. How did she feel about them? Why did the relationships end? Why did Chanel never marry? Who did she claim was the one true love in her life? How did these men impact her life?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)