|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
2. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
3. What property did Chanel purchase in cash for her business?
4. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
5. How is the shop described where Chanel was sent to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Boy Capel an ideal match for Chanel?
2. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
3. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
4. How did Chanel use her friends to find commercial success?
5. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
6. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
7. How did late eighteenth-century photographs of Chanel already exhibit her unique style?
8. How did Chanel earn her nickname, "Coco"?
9. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
10. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the photographs in the book. What impact do they have for the reader? Why were the particular photographs in the book chosen? What do the photographs tell the reader than the words do not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chanel's desire to create practical clothes for women. Describe the fashion during the Belle Ã‰poque and how Chanel desires to go in another direction with fashion. How were her designs more practical for the woman? What was impractical about the popular fashion before Chanel came along?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significant romantic relationships in Chanel's life. Describe the men in her life. How did she feel about them? Why did the relationships end? Why did Chanel never marry? Who did she claim was the one true love in her life? How did these men impact her life?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)