|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did nostalgics lament about the direction of post-war fashion?
2. The aristocrats and upper class of which country were served from Chanel's Biarritz shop?
3. For which stage production directed by Cocteau did Chanel act as costumer?
4. While living at the chateau, what did Chanel begin to develop a wardrobe specifically for?
5. Who was George Clemenceau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
2. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
3. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
4. How did Chanel earn her nickname, "Coco"?
5. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
6. Why was Boy Capel an ideal match for Chanel?
7. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
8. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
9. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
10. What decision was Chanel required to make when she turned eighteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rivalry between Chanel and Schiaparelli. Why were they in competition? How did the press handle the rivalry? What does Cubism and Surrealism have to do with their rivalry? Who won the competition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the book, Edmonde Charles-Roux. Is she qualified to tell this story? Why or why not? What was her relationship with Coco Chanel? Does she appear to have a biased view of Chanel? What is her background?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the photographs in the book. What impact do they have for the reader? Why were the particular photographs in the book chosen? What do the photographs tell the reader than the words do not?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)