|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young woman, on what did Adrienne Chanel focus her attention?
2. Who lived nearby to Chanel's millinery shop?
3. Who is said to have ushered Chanel into chateau life?
4. Where did Balsan allow Chanel to open up a millinery shop?
5. From where did Chanel gain much of her business in 1914?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about what Chanel wore to the racetrack?
2. What decision was Chanel required to make when she turned eighteen?
3. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
4. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
5. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
6. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
7. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
8. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
9. What was life at Balsan's chateau like for Chanel?
10. How did Chanel earn her nickname, "Coco"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Chanel's designs liberate women? What were women able to do with more ease because of the changes in fashion that Chanel was greatly responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the book. What is a biography? Is a biography guaranteed to be fact? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Chanel as a business woman. How did she choose to run her business? Was she a successful business woman? What are some innovative things she did to improve business? How did her business sense improve overtime?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)