|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chanel open a shop with help from Capel?
2. Who eased the public into accepting the idea of mass-produced dresses by Chanel?
3. How old was Chanel when her mother died?
4. After hats, what did Chanel turn her attention to designing?
5. What garment gave Chanel her first major commercial success?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did late eighteenth-century photographs of Chanel already exhibit her unique style?
2. What was special about Chanel's work for the 1924 dance operetta, Blue Train?
3. How did Chanel use her friends to find commercial success?
4. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
5. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
6. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
7. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
8. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
9. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
10. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chanel's experience as a costumer. In what plays and productions was she involved? Why was she invited to Hollywood and how did that work out?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chanel's self-imposed exile during and after WWII. Why did she go to Switzerland? What occurred in the fashion world while she was living in Switzerland? What spurred her to return to France?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influential relationships in Chanel's life. How did these relationships impact Chanel's career and her style?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)