|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
2. During Chanel's Russian Period, what did she incorporate into her fashions?
3. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
4. What did Boy's transfer away from the front lines allow him to do?
5. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
2. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
3. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
4. What inspired Chanel's English period?
5. What was special about Chanel's work for the 1924 dance operetta, Blue Train?
6. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
7. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
8. Why was Boy Capel an ideal match for Chanel?
9. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
10. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, how did Chanel's designs impact fashion? What are some of Chanel's enduring designs? How did she change the face of fashion and the wardrobe of women forever?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chanel's life as a part of the demimonde. What was the demimonde? How did this time in her life impact her career?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rivalry between Chanel and Schiaparelli. Why were they in competition? How did the press handle the rivalry? What does Cubism and Surrealism have to do with their rivalry? Who won the competition?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)