|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the city where Chanel was born, for how long had women's fashion gone unchanged?
(a) For a hundred years.
(b) For fifty years.
(c) For not very long.
(d) For decades.
2. Who are described as the fashion setters at the end of the 1800s?
(b) Silent film stars.
(c) Aristocratic ladies and gentlemen.
(d) Bohemian artisans.
3. Where would Chanel's family gather their harvest from?
(d) Farmed land.
4. What was the advantage of men's clothing at the time of Chanel's birth?
(a) Men's clothing was made from long-lasting fabrics.
(b) Men's clothing designs were elegantly simple.
(c) Men's clothing allowed freedom of movement.
(d) Men's clothing was less expensive.
5. Which of the following did Chanel's father sell?
(b) Rubber boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Chanel return to Paris fashion?
2. In the city where Chanel was born, what influenced women's fashion?
3. What is described as one of Chanel's most scandalous affairs?
4. From which village did Chanel's family come?
5. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Chanel go after leaving the convent?
2. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
3. What made Chanel memorable to the people who met her?
4. Who was named as the fashion-setters at the end of the 1800s?
5. What caused the decline and collapse of French rural communities in the 1800s?
6. What was significant about August in Saumer?
7. How is Chanel's style of working after her return to Paris described?
8. In business terms, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
9. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
10. What does Charles-Roux explain Chanel strove for her whole life to conceal?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)