|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was fashion at the time of Chanel's birth said to have made women look?
(a) Like pillowcases.
(b) Like haystacks.
(c) Like decorated cakes.
(d) Deformed and crippled.
2. What does biographer Edmonde Charles-Roux say Chanel tried to conceal her entire life?
(a) Her religious beliefs.
(b) Her shoe size.
(c) Her real name.
(d) The circumstances of her birth.
3. Who was "Boy" Capel to Chanel?
(a) Her trusted business partner.
(b) A rival.
(c) A distant relation.
(d) The only man Chanel would ever love.
4. What did the city Chanel was born in have a great love for?
5. At the time of her birth, what was Chanel's mother's marital status?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Chanel's life is explored in the book's Introduction?
2. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
3. What was Chanel said to have become to "all the young lions of the age"?
4. Where did Chanel go during her self-imposed exile following her scandalous affair?
5. What property did Chanel's great-grandfather rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
2. How did Chanel's relationships with aristocrats influence her work?
3. What brought Chanel back to Paris in 1954?
4. Who was Etienne Balsan?
5. In Saumer, what influenced women's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
6. What had Chanel's family done for generations?
7. What was significant about August in Saumer?
8. What influenced men's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
9. Because of her mother's death, what happened in Chanel's life?
10. What caused the decline and collapse of French rural communities in the 1800s?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)