|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the city where Chanel was born, for how long had women's fashion gone unchanged?
(a) For not very long.
(b) For fifty years.
(c) For a hundred years.
(d) For decades.
2. What influenced the design of men's clothes when Chanel was growing up?
(a) The need to be outdoors.
(b) The need to walk long distances.
(c) The need to ride horses.
(d) The need to impress women.
3. In the city where Chanel was born, what influenced women's fashion?
(a) The harsh dust and sun.
(b) The proximity to the sea.
(c) The cold climate.
(d) Bohemian artistry.
4. What effect did the plagues have on provincial villages?
(a) Villages began to collapse.
(b) The plagues had no lasting effect on provincial villages.
(c) Village populations began to grow.
(d) Village communities became distrustful of outsiders.
5. What was Chanel said to have become to "all the young lions of the age"?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A target.
(c) A darling.
(d) A trophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Coco Chanel born?
2. For what was Etienne Balsan famous?
3. At the time of her birth, what was Chanel's mother's marital status?
4. Which of the following was not described as a popular fashion at the end of the 1800s?
5. In the foreword, how is Chanel's work ethic described upon her return to Paris after her exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brought Chanel back to Paris in 1954?
2. Who was Etienne Balsan?
3. What was the result of Chanel's affair with a German officer?
4. Where did Chanel go after leaving the convent?
5. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
6. In business terms, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
7. What influenced men's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
8. Where was Chanel's family from, and where was she herself born?
9. Emotionally, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
10. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)