|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chanel's great-grandfather turn his rented property into?
(a) A butcher's shop.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A weavery.
(d) A bistro.
2. In what country was Coco Chanel born?
3. In which region of her home country was Chanel born?
(c) The Cevennes.
4. Who was Etienne Balsan?
(a) An architect and painter.
(b) An investment banker.
(c) A manufacturer of uniforms.
(d) A horse breeder and equestrian.
5. How did Chanel feel about the place where she stayed after leaving the orphanage?
(a) Chanel felt the need to escape.
(b) Chanel felt as if she was making a difference.
(c) Chanel felt at home.
(d) Chanel felt unwelcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which of the following dukes did Chanel have a relationship?
2. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
3. In what area was Chanel's pairing with "Boy" Capel advantageous?
4. What was Coco Chanel's real first name?
5. When she was twenty years old, in which town was Chanel offered a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brought Chanel back to Paris in 1954?
2. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
3. What sort of environments was Chanel surrounded by as a child?
4. What made Chanel memorable to the people who met her?
5. What did Chanel's great-grandfather establish for his family?
6. Where did Chanel go after leaving the convent?
7. How was Chanel able to achieve success even through World War II?
8. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
9. How did Chanel's relationships with aristocrats influence her work?
10. What had Chanel's family done for generations?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)