|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tayo's heritage?
2. Who does Tayo keep thinking he sees as being dead?
3. What does Ts’eh serve Tayo for dinner?
4. What does the medicine man say is the reason new ceremonies need to be created?
5. What is painted on the war shield that is at Tayo’s house when he returns from finding the cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ku'oosh say to Tayo after Tayo talks to Ku'oosh and what does Ku'oosh leave Tayo? What is Tayo’s response?
2. What happens to Tayo after he attacks Emo?
3. What does Tayo remember about Josiah and Night Swan?
4. How do Josiah and the boys learn about cattle care?
5. How does Rocky and Auntie feel about Josiah’s decision on how to take care of the cattle?
6. How does Rocky’s mother feel about him going off to war and what does Tayo tell her?
7. What does the woman tell Tayo when she sees him again and what is his response?
8. What does Ku'oosh talk to Tayo about?
9. What does Tayo watch his friends do from a boulder above them?
10. How are the cattle branded and what does Josiah do about that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Ceremony help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Ceremony? Why or why not. Use examples from Ceremony and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Ceremony interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tayo. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Auntie and Emo.
Essay Topic 3
Ceremony belongs to the Native American fiction genre.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the Native American fiction genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a Native American fiction and a science fiction novel or a mystery?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)