|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ulibarri live?
2. What does Tayo say an Indian should avoid in Gallup?
3. Who bootlegs beer to the Indians?
4. What does the medicine man say is the reason new ceremonies need to be created?
5. Where do the holy men look when they want to know the time to dance for rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rocky’s mother feel about him going off to war and what does Tayo tell her?
2. What does Tayo first do when he goes to hunt for the cattle?
3. Where does Tayo end up finding the cattle again with the man’s help?
4. Where does Robert take Tayo at Ku'oosh’s suggestion and how does Tayo feel when he gets there? How does Tayo’s feelings change?
5. What does Josiah tell Tayo about the spring and how does Tayo feel about the story?
6. What kind of Indian is Tayo and what are his earliest memories of his mother?
7. Why does Tayo’s aunt dislike Tayo and Tayo’s mother?
8. What does Betonie show Tayo about his illness and how it is related to white people?
9. What are Tayo’s symptoms after he leaves the hospital and how does a Japanese person help him?
10. How does Rocky end up dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The medicine man's voice of reason, enlightenment and healing makes a very powerful statement.
Discuss the ways in which the medicine man’s talks with Tayo helped Tayo to heal. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Tayo and Auntie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Josiah and Emo. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Ceremony, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)