|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with the wool blankets the army gave the Indians in the 1800’s?
2. How does the Japanese soldier kill Rocky?
3. What kind of trees do the people from the villages use for carving?
4. With what were the walls of the Ts’eh’s cabin plastered?
5. What is the police’s response to the woman with the reddish hair’s behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tayo after he attacks Emo?
2. How does Rocky and Auntie feel about Josiah’s decision on how to take care of the cattle?
3. Why does Tayo attack Emo?
4. What does Tayo think about the cattle in the book compared to his uncle’s cattle?
5. What does Tayo first do when he leaves Betonie?
6. What does Ku'oosh talk to Tayo about?
7. What do Tayo’s friends do when they come again and what does he do first?
8. What does Tayo do with his memories of Night Swan and Josiah?
9. Where does Tayo end up finding the cattle again with the man’s help?
10. What does Ku'oosh say to Tayo after Tayo talks to Ku'oosh and what does Ku'oosh leave Tayo? What is Tayo’s response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Tayo and Auntie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Josiah and Emo. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Ceremony interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tayo. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Auntie and Emo.
Essay Topic 3
This writer, a Native American herself, is communicating a way her own people can adapt to the changes that have taken place and are taking place in their own world while hanging on to their own identity at the same time.
Discuss at least three ways which Silko advocates can help her people adapt to the changes in their culture while continuing to hold onto their own cultural identity. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)