|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fell out of the tree when the Indians were on a raid that told them someone was in the tree?
2. What does Old Grandma tell Auntie Tayo needs?
3. What did all the Navajos do in the white school when the teacher brought out a tub of dead frogs to dissect?
4. What does Tayo decide to do with the note when the door is not answered?
5. What does Josiah tell Tayo is the reason the cattle prices are down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tayo feel guilty about Josiah?
2. What does Betonie do when he takes Tayo up into the foothills? How does Tayo respond?
3. Who is hired as a shepherd after Harley and how does that go?
4. How do Josiah and the boys learn about cattle care?
5. What kind of Indian is Tayo and what are his earliest memories of his mother?
6. What are Tayo’s symptoms after he leaves the hospital and how does a Japanese person help him?
7. Of what does Tayo dream as he and Robert prepare for winter? What does Tayo decide to do because of the dreams?
8. What do Tayo’s friends do when they come again and what does he do first?
9. What happens to Tayo after he attacks Emo?
10. What does Tayo’s mother do with him when he is four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a contrast drawn between Native American spirituality and Christianity, and Christianity doesn't come off very well. Auntie is the only character in the story who represents the white man's religion, and her whole existence is focused on the reputation of the family.
Discuss the reasons the above statement may or may not be valid using illustrations from Auntie’s behavior that is derived from her religion and examples of the medicine man’s behavior that is derived from his spiritual beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Leslie Marmon Silko. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Silko's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Silko's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Ceremony, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)