|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tayo find out about cigarette butts when he is a toddler?
2. With what were the walls of the Ts’eh’s cabin plastered?
3. What is Emo drinking at the bar?
4. What animal does Tayo see as he is laying in the pine needles where he fell while looking for the cattle inside the fence?
5. In one of the poems, who is Reed Woman's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the herd of cattle do as soon as they are unloaded and what does Josiah tell Tayo about their behavior?
2. What does Ku'oosh say to Tayo after Tayo talks to Ku'oosh and what does Ku'oosh leave Tayo? What is Tayo’s response?
3. Who is hired as a shepherd after Harley and how does that go?
4. What does Betonie do when he takes Tayo up into the foothills? How does Tayo respond?
5. Where is Tayo when his friends find him and what does Tayo tell himself about them?
6. What does Tayo first do when he goes to hunt for the cattle?
7. How is Rocky different from Tayo and what does Rocky want to do when he is an adult?
8. Of what does Tayo dream as he and Robert prepare for winter? What does Tayo decide to do because of the dreams?
9. What does Tayo remember about Josiah and Night Swan?
10. How does Tayo free the cattle and what kind of animal does he see when he is freeing the cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many elements of effective psychotherapy in the counseling that Tayo receives from both Ku'oosh and Betonie. They guide him gently through a recounting, re-examination and recasting of all the demons that possess him.
Discuss reasons Tayo talking about his experiences might help him come to terms with what he has been through. Include a discussion of what the above statement might mean by “Tayo’s demons.” Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
When Ku'oosh comes to Tayo, he brings medicines — the Indian tea and the blue corn, but he also brings stories, another form of medicine.
Discuss why stories might help a person dealing with mental or emotional agony. What are two stories Tayo is told and how do you think they related to his situation?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Ceremony is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)