|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ts’eh tell Tayo where the cattle are located ask him when he first comes to her house?
2. What is the tribe of the woman who is in the truck with Harley and Leroy when they stop and pick up Tayo?
3. In which direction do the cows always run?
4. Where does Josiah have the cattle unloaded?
5. What does Tayo do right before Rocky begins to dress a deer they killed in a hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Tayo when he first gets back home and where does he stay?
2. What does Tayo tell Ku'oosh about the war and about the drought?
3. Who are the family members who are kind to Tayo?
4. What does Old Grandma do with Tayo, what does he think he needs to do and what does she want him to do?
5. How is Tayo treated as a child by the village?
6. What does Josiah tell Tayo about the spring and how does Tayo feel about the story?
7. Why do the two ranch hands leave Tayo alone?
8. Why does Tayo feel guilty about Josiah?
9. How does Tayo and Rocky end up in the military and how do they end up stationed together?
10. Of what does Tayo dream as he and Robert prepare for winter? What does Tayo decide to do because of the dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many elements of effective psychotherapy in the counseling that Tayo receives from both Ku'oosh and Betonie. They guide him gently through a recounting, re-examination and recasting of all the demons that possess him.
Discuss reasons Tayo talking about his experiences might help him come to terms with what he has been through. Include a discussion of what the above statement might mean by “Tayo’s demons.” Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The world of the battlefield was the most hostile and threatening of all the experiences in his life. Some men seem to survive these horrors while moving on and making lives for themselves, while others are emotionally unable to cope, and Tayo was one of the latter.
How do you think Tayo’s early life might have affected his response to the battle field? Why might his reactions to battle be considered a weakness to some people? Why are his reactions not a weakness? Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Tayo and Auntie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Josiah and Emo. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)