|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the holy men look when they want to know the time to dance for rain?
2. What does the woman with reddish hair do when white men come to harass the women at the arroyo?
3. Who is Descheeny married to when he brings a Mexican girl to his home?
4. Where does Old Grandma sit during the day most of the time?
5. What is playing on the juke box at the Y bar when Tayo and the others enter the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the cattle branded and what does Josiah do about that?
2. How do Josiah and the boys learn about cattle care?
3. How is Rocky different from Tayo and what does Rocky want to do when he is an adult?
4. What does Old Grandma do with Tayo, what does he think he needs to do and what does she want him to do?
5. What are Tayo’s symptoms after he leaves the hospital and how does a Japanese person help him?
6. How does a woman help Tayo find the cattle?
7. What happens when Tayo is knocked unconscious and then wakes?
8. Where is Tayo when his friends find him and what does Tayo tell himself about them?
9. Where are Tayo and Rocky sent, what kind of problem does Tayo have there and what does Rocky do to try and help Tayo?
10. What does Tayo think about the cattle in the book compared to his uncle’s cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Ceremony interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tayo. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Auntie and Emo.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of the story is that white people are alien, they are not superior, as is commonly thought, and do not dictate cultural morés to the Native Americans.
Discuss the reasons the Indians might have viewed white people as alien or strange and how some of that viewpoint changed during the course of Ceremony. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tayo's friends are bewitched and dangerous. He must separate himself from them, and his attempts to do so almost get him killed. They cannot deal with his increasing understanding, so they must kill him.
Discuss why Tayo’s friends are threatened by Tayo’s continual walk towards mental health and why his change might make them feel threatened. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)