|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tribe of the woman who is in the truck with Harley and Leroy when they stop and pick up Tayo?
2. What does Emo say about the white people as he plays with the Japanese teeth?
3. What kind of victims is Descheeny known to be able to help?
4. What is the north side of Gallup called?
5. To whom does Tayo talk almost incessantly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tayo free the cattle and what kind of animal does he see when he is freeing the cattle?
2. How do Josiah and the boys learn about cattle care?
3. What does Betonie tell Tayo about why Tayo saw Indian faces in the Japanese?
4. What kind of Indian is Tayo and what are his earliest memories of his mother?
5. What does Tayo remember about Josiah and Night Swan?
6. How does Tayo start herding the cattle?
7. What does Tayo watch his friends do from a boulder above them?
8. Why does Tayo’s aunt dislike Tayo and Tayo’s mother?
9. What do Tayo’s friends do when they come again and what does he do first?
10. What happens when Tayo is knocked unconscious and then wakes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The medicine man's voice of reason, enlightenment and healing makes a very powerful statement.
Discuss the ways in which the medicine man’s talks with Tayo helped Tayo to heal. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
One medicine man also talks about the fragility of the world, something that Tayo understands intimately. He knows all too well how difficult it is to maintain balance in a hostile, chaotic world.
Why do you think Tayo sees the world as hostile and chaotic and what do you think Tayo means by balance? Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Ceremony interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tayo. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Auntie and Emo.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)