|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Harley when he left the sheep he was watching and left his horse tied by the road?
2. What animal does Tayo see as he is laying in the pine needles where he fell while looking for the cattle inside the fence?
3. What does the medicine man say the white doctors do with the dead in the mental hospitals?
4. Where do Harley and Tayo pick up a ride after they leave the spring?
5. What does the medicine man say about living so close to Gallup?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tayo and Rocky end up in the military and how do they end up stationed together?
2. How does Tayo start herding the cattle?
3. Of what does Tayo dream as he and Robert prepare for winter? What does Tayo decide to do because of the dreams?
4. What happens when Tayo is knocked unconscious and then wakes?
5. Why does Tayo attack Emo?
6. What does Ku'oosh talk to Tayo about?
7. What does Betonie do when he takes Tayo up into the foothills? How does Tayo respond?
8. Why does Tayo feel guilty about Josiah?
9. What does the woman tell Tayo when she sees him again and what is his response?
10. Who is hired as a shepherd after Harley and how does that go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tayo must deal with a lifelong self-concept fostered by Auntie and both the Pueblo Indians and the white people that he is somehow an outcast and unfit because he is neither white nor Indian.
Discuss the ways in which a person might be affected by feeling like he does not fit into any group or culture. Include in the discussion reasons the Indians and the whites might view Tayo as not belonging to their group. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In the various sexual encounters in the story, we see that Indian attitudes about morality and behavior that are different from that of the white culture.
Compare and contrast the differences between Indian and white culture’s attitudes towards morality and behavior. Use examples from Ceremony to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Ceremony interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tayo. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Auntie and Emo.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)