|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tayo’s mother doing before he is born that his Auntie sees?
(a) Kneeling under the old oak and crying
(b) Swimming in the river with a white man
(c) Dancing in the moonlight
(d) Standing under a cottonwood tree naked
2. What does the medicine man say is the reason new ceremonies need to be created?
(a) They cannot find all the elements necessary for the old ceremonies
(b) White people have ruined the old ceremonies
(c) Things shift and change around them
(d) He does not think the ceremonies need to be changed
3. What is Josiah doing when he dies?
(a) He is searching for the cattle
(b) He is with his mistress
(c) He is working on the roof of the house
(d) He is cleaning out the barn
4. Why is Tayo happy it starts snowing the morning after his encounter with the fence patrol?
(a) It will bring water to the land
(b) He likes it when the land looks new with snow on it
(c) It will mean they will not be able to track him
(d) He will be able to bury himself in the snow to sleep that night
5. Where do the holy men look when they want to know the time to dance for rain?
(a) East, then west
(b) North, then east
(d) West and southwest
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emo suggests the men do since they fought a white man’s war and still are stuck on a dried up reservation?
2. What kind of fur vest is the hunter who Tayo meets walking wear?
3. What do the children in north Gallup learn to do before they learn to walk?
4. What kind of victims is Descheeny known to be able to help?
5. How did the medicine man get to Chicago in 1903?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Betonie show Tayo about his illness and how it is related to white people?
2. What does Ku'oosh talk to Tayo about?
3. What are Tayo’s symptoms after he leaves the hospital and how does a Japanese person help him?
4. How do Josiah and the boys learn about cattle care?
5. What does Josiah decide to purchase and who advised him to do it?
6. What does Tayo find out when he returns to his family?
7. Where does Tayo find the cattle?
8. What does Betonie tell Tayo about change and trust?
9. Why does Tayo attack Emo?
10. Where does Robert take Tayo at Ku'oosh’s suggestion and how does Tayo feel when he gets there? How does Tayo’s feelings change?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)