|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tayo shake the branches on the tree outside Ts’eh’s house?
(a) To get the blanket off a branch
(b) To get the snow off so the branches do not break
(c) To watch the snow fall
(d) To make a pattern for divination
2. What does the old Mexican man bring Tayo when Tayo is at the café?
(a) Salsa and chips
(b) A tostada
(c) Fried chicken
(d) A bowl of menudo
3. According to the poem "Ceremony" at the beginning of the book, what tries to destroy the stories?
4. Why does Tayo suddenly tell Rocky he cannot go to the army?
(a) He cannot pretend to be Rocky’s brother
(b) Tayo forgot he had promised Josiah he would always stay to help on the reservation
(c) He cannot produce a birth certificate
(d) He is in love with an Indian girl in another village
5. What kind of victims is Descheeny known to be able to help?
(a) Men returning from war
(b) Drug addicts
(c) Women who have been abused by men
(d) People tainted by Christianity or liquor
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Josiah send Tayo with a note to Josiah’s mistress?
2. What does the medicine man say white people are to witchery?
3. When does Lalo retire and close his bar?
4. Why are some of the cattles’ necks scraped?
5. Why did the sergeant from Isleta get a bronze star in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what does Tayo dream as he and Robert prepare for winter? What does Tayo decide to do because of the dreams?
2. What does Tayo remember about Josiah and Night Swan?
3. What is the difference between Tayo’s life as a soldier and his life as a civilian on a reservation?
4. What does Tayo do when his friends leave in the morning what does he come to realize?
5. How does Tayo free the cattle and what kind of animal does he see when he is freeing the cattle?
6. How are the cattle branded and what does Josiah do about that?
7. Where does Tayo end up finding the cattle again with the man’s help?
8. How is Tayo treated as a child by the village?
9. How does Josiah’s sister feel about Night Swan?
10. What happens to Tayo after he attacks Emo?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)