|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that when the ban on physical force is breached, then there is no what?
2. When there is a conflict among groups that do not have the same principles, which does the author predict will win?
3. What is the name of the philosopher who introduces the concept of alienation?
4. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
5. In the U.S., the economic system isn't a pure capitalist system but is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
2. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
3. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
4. How is property dealt with in fascism?
5. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
6. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
7. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
8. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
9. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
10. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the book, what are the political, economic, social, moral and philosophic differences between the reason-individualism-capitalism position and the mysticism-altruism-collectivism positions?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)