|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author refers to the situation in which sacrifice is considered good and self-improvement is not as what?
2. The author believes that when the ban on physical force is breached, then there is no what?
3. According to Fromm, what intensifies alienation?
4. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
5. What do liberals and conservatives, according to the author, agree that there is a fight to save?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
2. How is property dealt with in fascism?
3. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
4. What brings about an intellectual movement's collapse?
5. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
6. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
7. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
8. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
9. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
10. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is taxation, and what is its effect on the economy? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)