|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the conflict for liberals and conservatives is between the state and whom?
2. How does the author refer to a principle?
3. The author believes that many less-developed countries hate America for what?
4. In response to the claim that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven, the American answer is that the U.S. system is based on what?
5. Who are the second scapegoats in a statist society, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
2. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
3. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
4. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
5. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
6. How is property dealt with in fascism?
7. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
8. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
9. When do countries not engage in wars?
10. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information given in this book, do men work better in an atmosphere of freedom rather than one of coercion? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the information presented in the book, do you think that Rand is a conservative or a liberal? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author believe about businessmen and capitalism? How are businessmen central to the author's arguments about capitalism?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)