|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that, in society today, there are no what?
2. The author believes that being free means freedom from what?
3. What does the author blame for warping students' hopes and viewpoints?
4. The author believes that the basis of American freedom is that man can act how?
5. Critics claim that FDR's New Deal programs were close to whose fascism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is property dealt with in fascism?
2. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
3. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
4. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
5. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
6. What is the theme of "Atlas Shrugged"?
7. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
8. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
9. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
10. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information given in this book, do men work better in an atmosphere of freedom rather than one of coercion? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some common fallacies about capitalism, and how do the common fallacies affect capitalism? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that the fundamental question used to evaluate a social system is whether or not the system acknowledges individual rights and bars the use of physical force, and whether or not man is a free individual or the property of the tribe. Evaluate the social and economic systems presented in this book using this question. Use appropriate examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)