|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that Louis XIV creates a welfare state and ruins what?
2. What does the author believe that productive work generates?
3. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
4. Governor Romney says we do not have a system of capitalism but of what?
5. Who does the author feel is the biggest loser in the foreign-aid program?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
2. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
3. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
4. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
5. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
6. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
7. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
8. How is property dealt with in fascism?
9. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
10. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information presented in the book, do you think that Rand is a conservative or a liberal? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the information given in this book, do men work better in an atmosphere of freedom rather than one of coercion? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)