|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Erich Fromm?
2. In what type of system is property publicly owned and controlled?
3. Who do lobbyists work for?
4. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is the second antagonist?
5. What did the author present in her book "Atlas Shrugged" that is reflected in current events?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
2. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
3. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
4. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
5. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
6. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
7. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
8. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
9. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
10. From what belief do foreign-aid programs stem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the way the author treats liberal and conservative ideas in her book. Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What are anti-concepts, and what role does the author feels they play in today's economic and political societies? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)