|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do lobbyists work for?
2. The author believes that the _______ of man is responsible for production and prosperity.
3. For the author, the Cold War is a type of what warfare?
4. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
5. When the author examines the situation in Viet Nam, the author reveals the belief that there is no _____ ______ for the U.S. there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
2. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
3. Who comes and helps the students protest in Berkeley in 1964?
4. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
5. What brings about an intellectual movement's collapse?
6. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
7. When do countries not engage in wars?
8. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
9. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
10. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author believe about businessmen and capitalism? How are businessmen central to the author's arguments about capitalism?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)