|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author refers to the situation in which sacrifice is considered good and self-improvement is not as what?
2. What kind of medicine is part of the British economic system?
3. According to the author, smears fall into the category known as what?
4. How long is the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
5. In what type of system is property publicly owned and controlled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes and helps the students protest in Berkeley in 1964?
2. When do countries not engage in wars?
3. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
4. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
5. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
6. How is property dealt with in fascism?
7. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
8. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
9. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
10. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
According to the information presented in the book, what are the political, economic, social, moral and philosophic differences between the reason-individualism-capitalism position and the mysticism-altruism-collectivism positions?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)