|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that the _______ of man is responsible for production and prosperity.
2. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
3. What do liberals and conservatives, according to the author, agree that there is a fight to save?
4. What does the author believe is the basis for a mixed economy?
5. What did the author present in her book "Atlas Shrugged" that is reflected in current events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
2. What is the theme of "Atlas Shrugged"?
3. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
4. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
5. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
6. When do countries not engage in wars?
7. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
8. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
9. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
10. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is taxation, and what is its effect on the economy? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using information provided in the text, answer the following question: What is the purpose of the individual in capitalism?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)