|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that the basis of American freedom is that man can act how?
2. The author refers to the situation in which sacrifice is considered good and self-improvement is not as what?
3. Who do lobbyists work for?
4. When is the period of McCarthyism?
5. What did the author present in her book "Atlas Shrugged" that is reflected in current events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
2. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
3. How is property dealt with in fascism?
4. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
5. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
6. When talking about political views in today's world, what is the question to ask?
7. When do countries not engage in wars?
8. What brings about an intellectual movement's collapse?
9. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
10. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the French businessmen tell Colbert to "Laissez-nous faire"? What does their response have to do with capitalism? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)