|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the philosopher who introduces the concept of alienation?
2. The author believes Democrats and Republican are what type of actors?
3. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
4. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is one of the antagonists?
5. The author believes that the _______ of man is responsible for production and prosperity.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
2. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
3. When do countries not engage in wars?
4. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
5. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
6. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
7. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
8. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
9. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
10. From what belief do foreign-aid programs stem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information given in this book, do men work better in an atmosphere of freedom rather than one of coercion? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using information provided in the text, answer the following question: What is the purpose of the individual in capitalism?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author believe about businessmen and capitalism? How are businessmen central to the author's arguments about capitalism?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)