|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the concept of alienation and applies it to the worker?
2. The author believes that when the ban on physical force is breached, then there is no what?
3. From what point of view is the encyclical written?
4. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is the second antagonist?
5. When the author examines the situation in Viet Nam, the author reveals the belief that there is no _____ ______ for the U.S. there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the pope's encyclical say about work?
2. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
3. What is the theme of "Atlas Shrugged"?
4. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
5. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
6. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
7. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
8. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
9. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
10. When do countries not engage in wars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
According to the theories the authors present, why can freedom only exist under capitalism? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)