|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lobbying is the act of trying to influence whom?
2. Who takes the concept of alienation and applies it to the worker?
3. Who does the author feel is the biggest loser in the foreign-aid program?
4. Who do lobbyists work for?
5. What kind of medicine is part of the British economic system?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
2. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
3. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
4. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
5. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
6. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
7. What meaning does the author give to the idea that public interest supersedes private interests and rights?
8. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
9. What is the theme of "Atlas Shrugged"?
10. How is property dealt with in fascism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author believes that the fundamental question used to evaluate a social system is whether or not the system acknowledges individual rights and bars the use of physical force, and whether or not man is a free individual or the property of the tribe. Evaluate the social and economic systems presented in this book using this question. Use appropriate examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why did the French businessmen tell Colbert to "Laissez-nous faire"? What does their response have to do with capitalism? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are some common fallacies about capitalism, and how do the common fallacies affect capitalism? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)