|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author present in her book "Atlas Shrugged" that is reflected in current events?
2. What is the form of government that prevails in most of Latin America?
3. The author believes that, in society today, there are no what?
4. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
5. When is the period of McCarthyism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
2. From what belief do foreign-aid programs stem?
3. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
4. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
5. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
6. What is the reason, according to the author, that capitalism is having trouble sustaining itself?
7. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
8. What brings about an intellectual movement's collapse?
9. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
10. How does the author see the conflict between the Democrats and the Republicans in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)