|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Branden says that, according to the statists, depressions are part of what?
2. According to the author, what kind of governments use weapons against their own people?
3. What does the author blame for crises and depressions in capitalism?
4. The author believes that unions serve a valuable service because they do what?
5. What is one of the negatives that political power uses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do land grants play in railroad construction?
2. What does Branden believe causes depressions?
3. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
4. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
5. What does the author believe about the disintegration of philosophy?
6. Why do capital markets affect prices?
7. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
8. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
9. How do most political economists approach their study of man?
10. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information presented in the book, do you think that Rand is a conservative or a liberal? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to the theories the authors present, why can freedom only exist under capitalism? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)