|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is man viewed in tribal European culture?
2. According to Rand, what must the individual be willing to do in a capitalist society?
3. What kind of rights, according to the author, is the American system of government based on?
4. Branden says that, according to the statists, depressions are part of what?
5. The term "evils of monopoly" refers to a situation in which the monopolist is completely ______ of the market.
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the consumer be protected in a true capitalist market?
2. What does A.D. Neale think about U.S. antitrust laws?
3. How is intellectual property different than physical property?
4. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
5. What is a coercive monopoly?
6. How do most political economists approach their study of man?
7. What does Branden believe causes depressions?
8. What is the concept of man that underlies statism?
9. What are the first labor laws concerning factories about?
10. What are patents and copyrights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the various authors in the book, what role does economics have on politics? Discuss the differences and similarities in the views held by Rand, Branden and Greenspan. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)