|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The most successful railroads, according to the author, do what?
2. What thrives on free trade, according to the author?
3. Branden says that, according to the statists, depressions are part of what?
4. The Aluminum Company of America is a monopoly in the sense that it has control over what?
5. The term "evils of monopoly" refers to a situation in which the monopolist is completely ______ of the market.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
2. How is banking controlled when the system is based on gold?
3. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
4. How does the existence of money help people?
5. What are the first labor laws concerning factories about?
6. What does capitalism do to the standard of living?
7. How are businessmen persecuted?
8. What is the gold standard?
9. What is a coercive monopoly?
10. What does A.D. Neale think about U.S. antitrust laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information presented in the book, do you think that Rand is a conservative or a liberal? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)