Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is J.J. Hill?
2. Intellectual property may end up in the public _____ but it does not become public property.
3. How long do copyrights last in the United Kingdom?
4. The author states that most wars are started by countries with what?
5. The Federal Reserve System was created when the government thought that what was happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
2. What does A.D. Neale think about U.S. antitrust laws?
3. What does capitalism do to the standard of living?
4. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
5. What should the governments of free countries protect?
6. What does the author believe happens if a nation doesn't respect the rights of its citizens?
7. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
8. What is the theme of "Atlas Shrugged"?
9. What are patents and copyrights?
10. How does Alan Greenspan describe a business world with antitrust laws?
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
According to the theories the authors present, why can freedom only exist under capitalism? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)