|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that unions serve a valuable service because they do what?
2. What is the abbreviation for the Aluminum Company of America?
3. What is the first antitrust legislation?
4. What is one function of money?
5. What are ALCOA, General Electric and other companies said to be engaged in that cause them to be sued under the antitrust laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do land grants play in railroad construction?
2. According to the author, how is science collapsing?
3. How does Alan Greenspan describe a business world with antitrust laws?
4. What is the study of political economy?
5. What is the gold standard?
6. What are patents and copyrights?
7. How does gold flow through the international system?
8. What problems do the airwaves run into in the beginning of radio?
9. What is a coercive monopoly?
10. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the various authors in the book, what role does economics have on politics? Discuss the differences and similarities in the views held by Rand, Branden and Greenspan. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that the fundamental question used to evaluate a social system is whether or not the system acknowledges individual rights and bars the use of physical force, and whether or not man is a free individual or the property of the tribe. Evaluate the social and economic systems presented in this book using this question. Use appropriate examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)