|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Branden says that public education is not a ______ _______ because it must be paid for.
2. What chapter does Nathaniel Branden write?
3. The first labor laws aimed at children are enacted in what year?
4. When there are _____ ______, firms with good reputations are treated exactly like firms with bad reputations.
5. What do political economists assume that man is working for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are patents and copyrights?
2. What is the gold standard?
3. What does Branden claim is a fallacy of Marxism?
4. What does the author believe about the disintegration of philosophy?
5. What does Greenspan think of U.S. antitrust laws?
6. According to the author, how is science collapsing?
7. What is the Homestead Act?
8. How is intellectual property different than physical property?
9. How are some of the railroads not responsive to the market?
10. How would the consumer be protected in a true capitalist market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are anti-concepts, and what role does the author feels they play in today's economic and political societies? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to the information presented in the book, what are the political, economic, social, moral and philosophic differences between the reason-individualism-capitalism position and the mysticism-altruism-collectivism positions?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the information given in this book, do men work better in an atmosphere of freedom rather than one of coercion? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)