|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the "Gold and Economic Freedom" chapter?
2. Patents apply to what?
3. What kind of rights, according to the author, is the American system of government based on?
4. What is the name of the railroad company in California that holds a virtual monopoly?
5. What does the author believe brought the world out of feudalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are patents and copyrights?
2. How would the consumer be protected in a true capitalist market?
3. How is property dealt with in fascism?
4. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
5. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
6. What are the first labor laws concerning factories about?
7. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
8. Why, according to the author, do many less-developed countries hate the U.S.?
9. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
10. What are the first labor laws concerning children about?
Essay Topic 1
There are several mentions of why noncapitalist countries that do not like capitalism. What are the reasons the authors give for noncapitalist nations hating and condemning capitalism? Are these reasons logical and rational based on the theories of capitalism presented in the book? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why did the French businessmen tell Colbert to "Laissez-nous faire"? What does their response have to do with capitalism? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using information provided in the text, answer the following question: What is the purpose of the individual in capitalism?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)