|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the keystones of capitalism?
2. The power of the railroads, according to the author, comes from where?
3. What does political economy study?
4. According to the author, what will cure economic problems quickest and best?
5. What helps pull the U.S. out of the Great Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Greenspan think of U.S. antitrust laws?
2. What are the first labor laws concerning children about?
3. What are patents and copyrights?
4. What is the concept of man that underlies statism?
5. What does Branden claim is a fallacy of Marxism?
6. How are some of the railroads not responsive to the market?
7. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
8. Why do capital markets affect prices?
9. How do most political economists approach their study of man?
10. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the French businessmen tell Colbert to "Laissez-nous faire"? What does their response have to do with capitalism? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that the fundamental question used to evaluate a social system is whether or not the system acknowledges individual rights and bars the use of physical force, and whether or not man is a free individual or the property of the tribe. Evaluate the social and economic systems presented in this book using this question. Use appropriate examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)