|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what kind of governments use weapons against their own people?
2. What right does the government have that a private organization does not?
3. How does government regulation, according to the author, try to protect the consumer?
4. The term "evils of monopoly" refers to a situation in which the monopolist is completely ______ of the market.
5. The power of the railroads, according to the author, comes from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Greenspan think of U.S. antitrust laws?
2. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
3. How does the existence of money help people?
4. How is intellectual property different than physical property?
5. What are pre-capitalist societies based on?
6. How does a government protect its citizens?
7. What does Branden believe causes depressions?
8. What are the first labor laws concerning children about?
9. How is banking controlled when the system is based on gold?
10. What should the governments of free countries protect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is taxation, and what is its effect on the economy? Cite specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way the author treats liberal and conservative ideas in her book. Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)