|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the theory that states that good is embodied in various actions regardless of benefits and consequences?
2. Government regulations tend to be _______, meaning that they dictate a minimum standard of what cannot be done.
3. What does statism survive on, according to the author?
4. How are the railroads subsidized?
5. The existence of money promotes the division of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people terrified of war, according to the author?
2. What is the study of political economy?
3. What is the Homestead Act?
4. What are the first labor laws concerning children about?
5. What is the gold standard?
6. What does Branden believe causes depressions?
7. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
8. How are some of the railroads not responsive to the market?
9. According to the author, how is science collapsing?
10. What is the concept of man that underlies statism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are anti-concepts, and what role does the author feels they play in today's economic and political societies? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using information provided in the text, answer the following question: What is the purpose of the individual in capitalism?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)