|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Greenspan claim is the best protection for the consumer?
2. Branden says that, according to the statists, depressions are part of what?
3. The Federal Reserve System was created when the government thought that what was happening?
4. According to the author, statism is often linked to what other "ism"?
5. The author states that most wars are started by countries with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do land grants play in railroad construction?
2. How does a government protect its citizens?
3. What problems do the airwaves run into in the beginning of radio?
4. What are pre-capitalist societies based on?
5. How does gold flow through the international system?
6. What is the Homestead Act?
7. According to the author, how is science collapsing?
8. What should the governments of free countries protect?
9. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
10. What is a coercive monopoly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author believe about businessmen and capitalism? How are businessmen central to the author's arguments about capitalism?
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that the fundamental question used to evaluate a social system is whether or not the system acknowledges individual rights and bars the use of physical force, and whether or not man is a free individual or the property of the tribe. Evaluate the social and economic systems presented in this book using this question. Use appropriate examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)