|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Government regulations tend to be _______, meaning that they dictate a minimum standard of what cannot be done.
2. The government established by the Founding Fathers is based on theories that began with whom?
3. What does the author believe is the basic tool of the bureaucrat?
4. Who writes the chapter entitled "The Effects of the industrial Revolution on Women and Children"?
5. Railroads are built using government money, and what happens to many of them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are some of the railroads not responsive to the market?
2. What does capitalism do to the standard of living?
3. How do most political economists approach their study of man?
4. What is a coercive monopoly?
5. What does the author believe about the disintegration of philosophy?
6. What role do land grants play in railroad construction?
7. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
8. According to the author, how is science collapsing?
9. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
10. What are pre-capitalist societies based on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author believe about businessmen and capitalism? How are businessmen central to the author's arguments about capitalism?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer; what does Rand mean when she says there is morality in rational self-interest?
Essay Topic 3
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)