|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term "evils of monopoly" refer to?
2. What does Greenspan claim is the best protection for the consumer?
3. According to the author, statism is often linked to what other "ism"?
4. The Aluminum Company of America is a monopoly in the sense that it has control over what?
5. The first labor laws aimed at children target those working as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
2. What is a coercive monopoly?
3. What does Branden claim is a fallacy of Marxism?
4. What do the businessmen take the blame for in the case of the Central Pacific Railroad?
5. How would the consumer be protected in a true capitalist market?
6. Why are people terrified of war, according to the author?
7. What is the concept of man that underlies statism?
8. How does a government protect its citizens?
9. What are the first labor laws concerning children about?
10. How does Alan Greenspan describe a business world with antitrust laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer; why does Alan Greenspan believe that the U.S. antitrust laws are flawed, and what does he think should be done about the problem?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Rand feel the U.S. system is headed for fascism? What arguments and evidence does she present to support her view? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)