|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of rights, according to the author, is the American system of government based on?
2. According to Rand, what must the individual be willing to do in a capitalist society?
3. What subject does Stewart Holbrook write about?
4. What is trade without any barriers known as?
5. What is one of the negatives that political power uses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
2. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
3. What does capitalism do to the standard of living?
4. How are some of the railroads not responsive to the market?
5. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
6. How is intellectual property different than physical property?
7. What is the concept of man that underlies statism?
8. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
9. What does the author believe about the disintegration of philosophy?
10. How are businessmen persecuted?
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the pope's encyclical and Rand's view of capitalism? Use the text to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is statism and how does statism affect freedom? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)