|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe is the basic tool of the bureaucrat?
2. How are the railroads subsidized?
3. The government established by the Founding Fathers is based on theories that began with whom?
4. In a free market, economic power is determined by what?
5. What, according to the author, does the gold standard facilitate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do the airwaves run into in the beginning of radio?
2. How does Alan Greenspan describe a business world with antitrust laws?
3. What does the author believe about the disintegration of philosophy?
4. What are pre-capitalist societies based on?
5. What does the author believe happens if a nation doesn't respect the rights of its citizens?
6. How does government involvement help cause the Great Depression?
7. How does government regulation purport to protect the consumer?
8. What are patents and copyrights?
9. How does a government protect its citizens?
10. What role do land grants play in railroad construction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various authors believe about government spending? How do Greenspan, Rand, Hessen and Branden say government should spend its money and resources? Use examples from the book to compare and contrast the various authors and their beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Using information provided in the text, answer the following question: What is the purpose of the individual in capitalism?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way the author treats liberal and conservative ideas in her book. Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)