|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is isolationism prevalent in the U.S.?
2. Who wins the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
(a) The professors.
(b) The students.
(c) The chancellor.
(d) The protesters.
3. The author believes that the _______ of man is responsible for production and prosperity.
(d) Hard work.
4. McCarthyism is named for a senator from where?
(b) New Jersey.
5. What does "laissez-nous faire" mean in English?
(a) Don't meddle with us.
(b) Help us succeed.
(c) Leave us alone.
(d) Leave us with ourselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do liberals and conservatives, according to the author, agree that there is a fight to save?
2. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
3. The author believes that the basis of American freedom is that man can act how?
4. According to the author, smears fall into the category known as what?
5. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the existence of the draft mean for countries and politicians?
2. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
3. When do countries not engage in wars?
4. How is property dealt with in fascism?
5. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
6. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
7. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
8. In the "Is Atlas Shrugging?" chapter, the author asks what question about the novel "Atlas Shrugged"?
9. What does the pope's encyclical say motivates capitalism?
10. How does Fromm characterize man's alienation?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)