|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the author, the Cold War is a type of what warfare?
(a) Peaceful warfare.
(b) Scientific warfare.
(c) Meaningless warfare.
(d) Gang warfare.
2. What does "laissez-nous faire" mean in English?
(a) Leave us with ourselves.
(b) Don't meddle with us.
(c) Help us succeed.
(d) Leave us alone.
3. Who writes an encyclical that expresses contempt for capitalism?
(a) Pope Platus VI.
(b) Pope Paul VI.
(c) Pope Pius VI.
(d) Pope Peter VI.
4. What does the author blame for warping students' hopes and viewpoints?
(a) The professors.
(b) Modern sociology.
(c) Lack of moral grounding.
(d) Modern philosophy.
5. Who wins the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
(a) The professors.
(b) The protesters.
(c) The students.
(d) The chancellor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the U.S., the economic system isn't a pure capitalist system but is what?
2. What does the author believe that productive work generates?
3. When the author examines the situation in Viet Nam, the author reveals the belief that there is no _____ ______ for the U.S. there.
4. What is the form of government that prevails in most of Latin America?
5. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the debate at the Republican National Convention over the John Birch Society calling Eisenhower a Communist create?
2. What do the French businessmen say is the best thing the king could do for them?
3. What do Republicans and Democrats claim about their side in the fight to save civilization?
4. What brings about an intellectual movement's collapse?
5. When does the author say that an irrational side will win an argument?
6. What is idealistic hypocrisy, according to Brown?
7. What are the two ways that man can comprehend the world, according to Fromm?
8. When do countries not engage in wars?
9. What does taxation do to the marketplace?
10. What is one definition of capitalism that its supporters might use?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)