|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the period of McCarthyism?
2. In response to the claim that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven, the American answer is that the U.S. system is based on what?
(a) Faith in society.
(b) Belief in mankind.
(c) Faith in God.
(d) The rise of the individual.
3. Fromm believes that the feeling of being separate causes what?
4. The author believes that when the ban on physical force is breached, then there is no what?
(a) Political freedom.
(b) Freedom of speech.
(c) Freedom of rights.
(d) Individual freedom.
5. What kind of medicine is part of the British economic system?
6. According to Fromm, what intensifies alienation?
7. How long is the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Six days.
8. Which president does the author compare to a French minister?
(a) President Franklin.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) President Monroe.
(d) President Kennedy.
9. Who does the author predict will win when there is a conflict between groups with the same principles?
(a) The man with the most consistent behavior.
(b) The man with the most knowledge.
(c) The man with the most altruism.
(d) The man with the most power.
10. What does the author blame for warping students' hopes and viewpoints?
(a) The professors.
(b) Modern sociology.
(c) Modern philosophy.
(d) Lack of moral grounding.
11. Who are typical lobbyists?
12. Who wins the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
(a) The protesters.
(b) The students.
(c) The chancellor.
(d) The professors.
13. What is the name of the philosopher who introduces the concept of alienation?
14. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
15. What is the theory behind the pope's encyclical?
(a) Rich nations should help poor nations because it is fair.
(b) Rich nations have a duty to help poor nations.
(c) Rich nations should be equitable when helping poor nations.
(d) Rich nations need to help poor nations so that all humans are equal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the second scapegoats in a statist society, according to the author?
2. The existence of the military draft, according to the author, is the epitome of what?
3. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is one of the antagonists?
4. From what point of view is the encyclical written?
5. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)