|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fromm believes that the feeling of being separate causes what?
2. According to the author, the conflict for liberals and conservatives is between the state and whom?
3. Who is Erich Fromm?
(a) A mediator and author.
(b) A lawyer and author.
(c) A psychologist and author.
(d) A sociologist and author.
4. Who writes an encyclical that expresses contempt for capitalism?
(a) Pope Pius VI.
(b) Pope Peter VI.
(c) Pope Platus VI.
(d) Pope Paul VI.
5. The author believes that the _______ of man is responsible for production and prosperity.
(c) Hard work.
6. When there is a conflict among groups that do not have the same principles, which does the author predict will win?
(a) The more evil or irrational entity.
(b) The most rational entity.
(c) The entity with the most power.
(d) The entity that has society's good as a purpose.
7. What is the theory behind the pope's encyclical?
(a) Rich nations need to help poor nations so that all humans are equal.
(b) Rich nations should be equitable when helping poor nations.
(c) Rich nations have a duty to help poor nations.
(d) Rich nations should help poor nations because it is fair.
8. Who are typical lobbyists?
9. When is the period of McCarthyism?
10. What does "laissez-nous faire" mean in English?
(a) Leave us alone.
(b) Help us succeed.
(c) Don't meddle with us.
(d) Leave us with ourselves.
11. Who do lobbyists work for?
(a) The individual.
(b) The businesses.
(c) The public.
(d) The special-interest groups.
12. The author believes that being free means freedom from what?
(a) Tyranny of the government.
(b) Coercion by the government.
(c) Regulation by the government.
(d) Taxation by the government.
13. Sometimes legislators are open to _______, a fact which bewilders the public.
(c) Changing their minds.
14. What does the author believe determines the course of history?
(a) Man's self-sacrifice.
(b) Man's ideas.
(c) Man's work.
(d) Man's mistakes.
15. What kind of medicine is part of the British economic system?
Short Answer Questions
1. McCarthyism is named for a senator from where?
2. Who is Louis XIV's chief adviser?
3. What does the author blame for warping students' hopes and viewpoints?
4. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is the second antagonist?
5. When is isolationism prevalent in the U.S.?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)