|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author examines the situation in Viet Nam, the author reveals the belief that there is no _____ ______ for the U.S. there.
(a) Social interest.
(b) Pressing interest.
(c) Public interest.
(d) National interest.
2. Who are typical lobbyists?
3. What is the theory behind the pope's encyclical?
(a) Rich nations should help poor nations because it is fair.
(b) Rich nations should be equitable when helping poor nations.
(c) Rich nations need to help poor nations so that all humans are equal.
(d) Rich nations have a duty to help poor nations.
4. According to the author, many less-developed countries feel ______ by capitalism.
5. The author believes that, in society today, there are no what?
(a) Free people.
(b) Rights of the individual.
(c) Visions of the future or goals.
(d) Driven people.
6. Who is the author of the chapter on "Alienation"?
(a) Nathaniel Branden.
(b) Nathaniel Brady.
(c) Nathaniel Burmond.
(d) Nathaniel Burgandy.
7. Who visits the United States and declares that the superiority of communism is scientifically proven?
8. Who takes the concept of alienation and applies it to the worker?
9. How does the author refer to a principle?
(a) As a selected truth.
(b) As a general truth.
(c) As a discovered truth.
(d) As a proven truth.
10. When is the period of McCarthyism?
11. For the author, the Cold War is a type of what warfare?
(a) Scientific warfare.
(b) Gang warfare.
(c) Meaningless warfare.
(d) Peaceful warfare.
12. What does the author believe is the basis for a mixed economy?
13. The author believes that society today is headed toward what?
(d) Guild socialism.
14. In the U.S., the economic system isn't a pure capitalist system but is what?
(a) A mixed socialism.
(b) A mixed economy.
(c) A mixed capitalism.
(d) A mixed system.
15. Who wins the protest at Berkeley in 1964 over a strip of land?
(a) The students.
(b) The chancellor.
(c) The protesters.
(d) The professors.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, what intensifies alienation?
2. The author believes Democrats and Republican are what type of actors?
3. What does the author blame for warping students' hopes and viewpoints?
4. When is isolationism prevalent in the U.S.?
5. Who does the author feel is the biggest loser in the foreign-aid program?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)