|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When there is a conflict among groups that do not have the same principles, which does the author predict will win?
(a) The more evil or irrational entity.
(b) The entity that has society's good as a purpose.
(c) The most rational entity.
(d) The entity with the most power.
2. What does "laissez-nous faire" mean in English?
(a) Help us succeed.
(b) Leave us alone.
(c) Don't meddle with us.
(d) Leave us with ourselves.
3. The author refers to the situation in which sacrifice is considered good and self-improvement is not as what?
(a) Moral coercion.
(b) Moral obscenity.
(c) Moral corruption.
(d) Moral force.
4. The author believes that when the ban on physical force is breached, then there is no what?
(a) Freedom of rights.
(b) Individual freedom.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Political freedom.
5. In what type of system is property privately owned but controlled by the government?
6. Which president does the author compare to a French minister?
(a) President Kennedy.
(b) President Franklin.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) President Monroe.
7. The author believes that being free means freedom from what?
(a) Regulation by the government.
(b) Coercion by the government.
(c) Taxation by the government.
(d) Tyranny of the government.
8. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is one of the antagonists?
9. What does the author believe that productive work generates?
10. What did the author present in her book "Atlas Shrugged" that is reflected in current events?
(a) Brain-drain in Germany.
(b) Brain-drain in Spain.
(c) Brain-drain in Great Britain.
(d) Brain-drain in France.
11. In "Atlas Shrugged," what is the second antagonist?
12. Who writes an encyclical that expresses contempt for capitalism?
(a) Pope Peter VI.
(b) Pope Platus VI.
(c) Pope Pius VI.
(d) Pope Paul VI.
13. According to the author, smears fall into the category known as what?
14. What is one of the arguments against a volunteer army?
(a) The lack of motivation.
(b) The high cost.
(c) The lack of volunteers.
(d) The amount of training needed.
15. Among those countries of the world that have had fascist dictatorships, a favorable opinion of _______ is found.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fromm believes that the feeling of being separate causes what?
2. Who do lobbyists work for?
3. Which does the author predict will win when the principles are clearly defined by the groups hold opposite views?
4. How does the author refer to a principle?
5. What does the author believe is the basis for a mixed economy?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)