|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does Stewart Holbrook write about?
(a) Failure of the railroads.
(b) Railroad monopolies.
(c) Government assistance to the railroads.
(d) Corruption in the railroads.
2. The author believes that capitalism cannot function with what?
(a) Uneducated workers.
(c) Individual rights.
3. What helps pull the U.S. out of the Great Depression?
(a) The New Deal.
(b) World War II.
(c) Free trade.
(d) An economic expansion.
4. According to the author, what kind of governments use weapons against their own people?
5. What right does the government have that a private organization does not?
(a) The right to sue.
(b) The right to own property.
(c) The right to use force.
(d) The right to negotiate.
6. Competition, according to the author, is regulated by what market?
(a) Growth market.
(b) Securities market.
(c) Stock market.
(d) Capital market.
7. What is the name of the theory that states that good is embodied in various actions regardless of benefits and consequences?
(a) The implication theory.
(b) The intrinsic theory.
(c) The adherence theory.
(d) The subjectivist theory.
8. During the Industrial Revolution, where do many children find jobs?
(a) In homes.
(b) In factories.
(c) In restaurants.
(d) In stores.
9. Who does Algeria fight for independence?
10. What is the abbreviation for the Aluminum Company of America?
11. A fear of _______ leads to the passage of the first antitrust laws.
12. Who is J.J. Hill?
(a) A developer.
(b) A government official.
(c) A government regulator.
(d) A businessman.
13. What is the first antitrust legislation?
(a) The Humphry Act.
(b) The Taft Act.
(c) The Trump Act.
(d) The Sherman Act.
14. The author believes that licensing the airwaves leads to what?
(a) Protection of the airwaves.
(b) Free speech.
(d) Protection of the consumer.
15. Government regulations tend to be _______, meaning that they dictate a minimum standard of what cannot be done.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of rights, according to the author, is the American system of government based on?
2. What right does the author believe is basic to the concept of freedom?
3. Instead of reading the antitrust laws to decide if something is legal, people must read what?
4. What is another word for statism?
5. Copyrights apply to what?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)