|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brennan leave Coyote Runs' skull?
2. In what does Brennan carry the skull to Dr. Tibbets?
3. What does Brennan ask his mother at the breakfast table on Friday?
4. What does Mr. Homesley convince Brennan to do with him at the school?
5. What does Brennan fear will happen to the skull if the police get it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
2. What does Brennan find deep in the canyon and what does he do?
3. Why does Brennan talk to Mr. Homesley about the skull?
4. What film did thinking about the bullet hole remind Brennan of and why did he think of it?
5. What reason comes to Brennan when he thinks about keeping the skull?
6. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
7. Where does Brennan leave the skull and why?
8. What does Brennan read that he thinks may be relevant to the skull?
9. With what does Brennan become obsessed and what starts happening to him?
10. What does Brennan learn about the probable cause of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coyote Runs becomes afraid when Magpie is shot down. All of a sudden for him death is possible and life is uncertain.
1. Why do you think Coyote Runs is alarmed at the uncertainty of life? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Canyons is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Canyons is? Explain your response.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)