Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan decide he has to do with the skull?
2. How do the men with Brennan's mother sound about Brennan running there in a day and a night?
3. What kind of officials are standing with Brennan's mother?
4. To what did Brennan's activities with Mr. Homeley lead?
5. What does Amelia Gephart ask the commanding officer to tell her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of Canyons. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Canyons. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in Canyons? Which theme in Canyons speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Some aspects of the metaphysical is in Canyons such as Brennan hearing Coyote Runs voice in his head. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical," with examples from research.
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in the Canyons, e. g.: What elements of Canyons seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)