|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan remember about a man who was shot in the head in Vietnam and the man's face when it happened?
2. How do the men with Brennan's mother sound about Brennan running there in a day and a night?
3. What do the soldiers have to do sometimes to drink?
4. What does Brennan wonder about the age of the person to whom the skull belonged?
5. What does Brennan think is the nationality of the soldiers who chased Coyote Runs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan read that he thinks may be relevant to the skull?
2. What incident with Mr. Homesley does Brennan recall when he thinks of talking to him about the skull?
3. What does Brennan find out when he comes home in Chapter 21?
4. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
5. Why does Brennan think the skull belonged to a young person?
6. What does Brennan find deep in the canyon and what does he do?
7. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
8. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
9. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
10. What was written in most of the reports in the boxes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)