|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Tibbets look like?
2. How does Brennan elude the men chasing him?
3. What does Brennan get to eat at a convenience store?
4. Why do the newspapers in the boxes look old to Brennan?
5. What saying keeps running through Brennan's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan read that he thinks may be relevant to the skull?
2. What does Brennan find out when he comes home in Chapter 21?
3. How long does it take for more information to come to Brennan and what does he do when Mr. Homesley calls about it?
4. What does Brennan learn about the probable cause of death?
5. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
6. What does Mr. Homesley say about the second source of information?
7. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
8. What dream did Brennan have in Chapter 11 about an eagle?
9. What was written in most of the reports in the boxes?
10. What happens as Brennan climbs some rocks and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)