|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brennan run Saturday morning Chapter 12?
2. What does Brennan see when he came up to his home after leaving Mr. Homesley?
3. Why does Brennan stay on the road when running near Fort Bliss?
4. What does Mr. Homesley convince Brennan to do with him at the school?
5. Why do ranchers take their families to El Paso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of Canyons. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Canyons. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in Canyons? Which theme in Canyons speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan worries about his mother being hurt by the men in her life.
1. With research, define the term, co-dependent and discuss whether the term could be applied to Brennan in relation to his mother.
2. Do you think a fourteen-year-old boy would notice some of his mother's feelings Brennan seems to understand in this book? Why or why not?
3. In relation to Brennan and his mother, does Brennan seem to be more the adult than his mother? Why or why not? Use examples from Canyons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan becomes friends with Mr. Homesley, his biology teacher. This friendship changes Brennan's life.
1. Discuss some of the changes that occur as a direct result of Brennan and Mr. Homesley's friendship. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
2. Based on the character of Mr. Homesley discuss what kind of a teacher he is and whether he is a typical teacher. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
3. Discuss Brennan's response to Mr. Homesley in relation to the fact of Brennan not knowing his father. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 2,317 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)