|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Homesley give Brennan when Brennan is going through the boxes?
2. Where did Brennan run Saturday morning Chapter 12?
3. How far is it to the canyon where Brennan finds the skull?
4. What does Brennan decide he has to do with the skull?
5. What saying keeps running through Brennan's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
2. In Chapter 12, describe what Brennan is thinking when he contemplates the bullet hole in the skull.
3. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
4. What incident with Mr. Homesley does Brennan recall when he thinks of talking to him about the skull?
5. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
6. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
7. What does Mr. Homesley say about the second source of information?
8. How long does it take for more information to come to Brennan and what does he do when Mr. Homesley calls about it?
9. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
10. Where is Brennan by morning and what does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Canyons help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Canyons? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Canyons to discuss and compare Brennan's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)