|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brennan think a fire would be nice?
2. What does Brennan remember about a man who was shot in the head in Vietnam and the man's face when it happened?
3. What is the first reason Brennan gives his mother for not telling her about the skull?
4. What does the voice in Brennan's head tell him about snakes?
5. What does Brennan hear in the night after he falls down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan find deep in the canyon and what does he do?
2. How long does it take for more information to come to Brennan and what does he do when Mr. Homesley calls about it?
3. With what does Brennan become obsessed and what starts happening to him?
4. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
5. What dream did Brennan have in Chapter 11 about an eagle?
6. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
7. Where does Brennan head and what does he do on his way out of town?
8. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
9. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
10. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brennan is embarrassed when Mr. Homesley singles him out and asks him to search for a beetle in the grass. He always feels awkward and shy at school and feels he does not fit in well with the other students.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Canyons and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think children tend to pick on another who is different?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Canyons interesting. Discuss the following characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Coyote Runs. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Brennan's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Canyons based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Canyons is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Canyons has paranormal incidences in it changes whether it is a successful novel especially along the lines of whether it is believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)