|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan hear in the distance?
2. In what does Brennan carry the skull to Dr. Tibbets?
3. What does Mr. Homesley convince Brennan to do with him at the school?
4. What does the voice in Brennan's head tell him to do for water?
5. Why does Mr. Homesley have Brennan bring a beetle to him everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brennan talk to Mr. Homesley about the skull?
2. What happens as Brennan climbs some rocks and what is his response?
3. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
4. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
5. What does Brennan learn about the probable cause of death?
6. In Chapter 12, describe what Brennan is thinking when he contemplates the bullet hole in the skull.
7. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
8. What reason comes to Brennan when he thinks about keeping the skull?
9. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
10. What does Mr. Homesley say about the second source of information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Canyons based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Canyons is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Canyons has paranormal incidences in it changes whether it is a successful novel especially along the lines of whether it is believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan becomes friends with Mr. Homesley, his biology teacher. This friendship changes Brennan's life.
1. Discuss some of the changes that occur as a direct result of Brennan and Mr. Homesley's friendship. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
2. Based on the character of Mr. Homesley discuss what kind of a teacher he is and whether he is a typical teacher. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
3. Discuss Brennan's response to Mr. Homesley in relation to the fact of Brennan not knowing his father. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)