|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do ranchers take their families to El Paso?
2. In what does Brennan carry the skull to Dr. Tibbets?
3. How does Brennan feel about the dark as he is running?
4. What does Brennan get to eat at a convenience store?
5. What does the voice tell him when it told him to stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
2. What does the commander answer in response to the letter in question #49? What does Brennan conclude from this report?
3. What does Mr. Homesley say about the second source of information?
4. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
5. How long does it take for more information to come to Brennan and what does he do when Mr. Homesley calls about it?
6. What does Brennan learn about the probable age of the person to whom the skull belongs?
7. What does Brennan find out when he comes home in Chapter 21?
8. What happens as Brennan climbs some rocks and what is his response?
9. What does Brennan learn about the probable cause of death?
10. Where does Brennan leave the skull and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some aspects of the metaphysical is in Canyons such as Brennan hearing Coyote Runs voice in his head. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical," with examples from research.
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in the Canyons, e. g.: What elements of Canyons seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Canyons, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Brennan learns that the skull was murdered at close contact with a large rifle, a shot that was clearly murder.
1. Defend or refute the above statement. Was the killing of Coyote Runs murder or the carrying out of a soldier's duties?
2. During the course of any war there are soldiers who kill those who are not armed combatants. These killings are considered a war crime. Most soldiers charged with war crimes use the defense of following orders. Discuss under what circumstances you believe a soldier should refuse a direct order.
3, Discuss the possible reasons the soldier had for killing Coyote Runs. The obvious one is prejudice but there may be many emotional, physical, cultural and mental causes.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)