Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan decide he has to do with the skull?
2. How do the men with Brennan's mother sound about Brennan running there in a day and a night?
3. What kind of officials are standing with Brennan's mother?
4. To what did Brennan's activities with Mr. Homeley lead?
5. What does Amelia Gephart ask the commanding officer to tell her?
Essay Topic 1
Brennan's mother has found the skull and called the police, taking the power of choice out of Brennan's hands. Brennan runs away and takes the skull back to the canyon.
1. Why do you think Brennan's mother called the police? Do you think this was a good decision on her part? Why or why not?
2. The above statement says that the call to the police took away Brennan's power of choice. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan was right to run away? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Brennan returns home from the camping trip and finds himself obsessed with the skull. Brennan has many dreams that are not of experiences he has ever had, making Brennan wonder if perhaps there is some kind of connection between him and the skull.
1. There seems to be an implication here that the dead can talk to the living in dreams. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and the dreams is the way most 15-year-old boys would react? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Brennan's reaction to the skull and dreams is reasonable and believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Coyote Runs is shot and killed by a white soldier who jokes as he shoots a fourteen-year-old boy in the head. Discuss the following:
1. How do the circumstances demonstrate the tendency of people to dehumanize an enemy? Use examples from Canyons and from other sources to support your answer.
2. Describe ways in which prejudice contributed to Coyote Runs' death.
3. Discuss the ways in which Coyote Runs thoughts demonstrated his prejudice against white people.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)