|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Homesley say about Brennan going into the canyon alone?
2. What does Homesley give Brennan when Brennan is going through the boxes?
3. What does Mr. Homesley call the mixture he and Tibbets used in Vietnam?
4. What saying keeps running through Brennan's head?
5. What does Brennan get to eat at a convenience store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Brennan hide the skull in his house?
2. Why does Brennan talk to Mr. Homesley about the skull?
3. What dream did Brennan have in Chapter 11 about an eagle?
4. What does the commander answer in response to the letter in question #49? What does Brennan conclude from this report?
5. What does Brennan do when he first arrives at his destination and what is he told? What is his response?
6. What does Brennan's mother tell him she has done and what is his response?
7. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
8. What happens when Brennan wants to stop for the night and what does he learn about snakes?
9. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
10. Where does Brennan head and what does he do on his way out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Canyons based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Canyons is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Canyons has paranormal incidences in it changes whether it is a successful novel especially along the lines of whether it is believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. What is the symbolism between Brennan's life and Coyote Runs' life?
2. With research define narrative contrivance and make a case for or against whether the fact it was a fourteen year old boy who runs found the skull and other contrivances, such as Brennan injuring his ankle just as Coyote Runs' ankle was injured from being shot.
3. With research, chose a group of people today who are experiencing the same type of genocide that the American Indian experienced in the 1800s. Discuss the differences and similarities between the two groups of people.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Brennan is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Brennan demonstrates his intelligence and good work ethic. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Brennan's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Brennan's admirable traits makes him do what he does with the skull. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the skull?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)