|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice in Brennan's head tell him about snakes?
(a) Night is when the snakes hunted.
(b) He could push a stick ahead of him in the sand.
(c) They did not move at night.
(d) There were no snakes in that part of the desert.
2. What does Brennan do when the men jump at him?
(a) Pushes Mr. Homesley in front of them.
(b) Runs between them.
(c) Falls backwards over a dune.
(d) Kicks sand in their eyes.
3. What do the soldiers have to do sometimes to drink?
(a) Dig a well.
(b) Use a water wagon.
(c) Cut cacti.
(d) Cut the veins on their horses and drink the blood.
4. What does Brennan wish about Mr. Homesley?
(a) That his mother had married Homesley and he was Brennan's father.
(b) That he wasn't leaving the area.
(c) That he was single.
(d) That he was Brennan's age.
5. What does Dr. Tibbets look like?
(a) He is tall and thin.
(b) He is short and thin.
(c) He is short and stocky.
(d) He is quite fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tibbets say it is a good bet the skull was killed by soldiers?
2. Why does Mr. Homesley have Brennan bring a beetle to him everyday?
3. What does Brennan's mother say when the men tell Brennan about his mother's concern?
4. How does Brennan elude the men chasing him?
5. What does Brennan do with the skull to check out his theory on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brennan pass in the canyon and what does he know?
2. What film did thinking about the bullet hole remind Brennan of and why did he think of it?
3. What kind of relationship do Brennan and Mr. Homesley end up having?
4. Where is Brennan by morning and what does he find there?
5. Where does Brennan meet Mr. Homesley, who do they see there and what does that person tell them about?
6. What does Brennan learn about the probable cause of death?
7. What is suggested about why the person to whom the skull belongs was killed and what suggestion is made for Brennan to find more information?
8. What incident with Mr. Homesley does Brennan recall when he thinks of talking to him about the skull?
9. What reason comes to Brennan when he thinks about keeping the skull?
10. What does Brennan do when he first arrives at his destination and what is he told? What is his response?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)