|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brennan think he will be able to get across the desert?
(a) He will move only at night.
(b) He has run in the desert many times.
(c) He doesn't know if he can get across it.
(d) He believes Coyote Runs will help him.
2. What is Brennan feeling while waiting for information from Homesley's friend?
3. What does Brennan hear in the night after he falls down?
(a) A rattle snake.
(d) Horses running.
4. What does Brennan use for cover when he approaches the canyon?
(a) The dark of the night.
(b) Dunes and brush.
(c) He ran in a crouch.
(d) He hid behind boulders.
5. What is the size of the bullet hole in the forehead of the skull?
(a) About the size of a green pea.
(b) About the size of his thumbprint.
(c) About half the size of his palm.
(d) About the size of his palm.
6. What does Brennan assume about the skull that Mr. Homesley says is not necessarily true?
(a) That the skull is from a young child.
(b) That the skull belongs to an Indian.
(c) That he didn't break the law.
(d) That the skull is a white soldier.
7. What do the soldiers report occurred before Coyote Runs was killed?
(a) Coyote Runs killed a soldier.
(b) Coyote Runs was holding rifle.
(c) A rattler bit Coyote Runs.
(d) An exchange of gunfire.
8. What is the first reason Brennan gives his mother for not telling her about the skull?
(a) He didn't think it was any of her business.
(b) He forgot about it.
(c) All the kids were there.
(d) He was afraid she would faint.
9. Why does Tibbets say it is a good bet the skull was killed by soldiers?
(a) They were the only people with rifles.
(b) Ranchers used pistols.
(c) They used large bore rifles.
(d) They routinely executed prisoners.
10. What does Mr. Homesley convince Brennan to do with him at the school?
(a) Look in the grass for a beetle.
(b) Dissect a beetle.
(c) Build a model of a beetle colony.
(d) Study the history of beetles.
11. What does Brennan's mother say when the men tell Brennan about his mother's concern?
(a) They could leave now.
(b) She didn't know what was going on.
(c) She could see he was fine.
(d) She takes back the complaint.
12. What does Brennan see when he came up to his home after leaving Mr. Homesley?
(a) A couple of kids from school looking at him.
(b) Bill's car parked out front.
(c) Police cars in front of his house.
(d) His boss's truck at his house.
13. What does Brennan fear will happen to the skull if the police get it?
(a) It will be displayed in a museum.
(b) It will be destroyed.
(c) It will be thrown back in the wrong canyon.
(d) It will be thrown in the landfill.
14. What iss the purpose of most of the patrols around Fort Bliss?
(a) Find lost settlers.
(b) Capture wild mustangs.
(c) Maintain public order and engage hostiles.
(d) Keep the soldiers occupied.
15. What does Brennan see where he meets Dr. Tibbets?
(a) A skeleton in Tibbets' foyer.
(b) An Indian waiter.
(c) Mr. Homesley's music room.
(d) Metal tables and bright lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brennan elude the men chasing him?
2. In what does Brennan carry the skull to Dr. Tibbets?
3. What does Brennan tell Homesley when Homesley guesses Brennan found some information?
4. Who does Brennan decide to ask to learn more about the skull?
5. What does Brennan change as the result of Mr. Homesley's interest in him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)