|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Homesley call the mixture he and Tibbets used in Vietnam?
(a) A Murphy drip.
(b) Viet Nam taiti.
(c) A speedy cocktail.
(d) Black gold.
2. What does Brennan think drove the west forward?
3. How does Brennan feel about the dark as he is running?
(a) It is an enemy.
(b) It is scary.
(c) It is a friend.
(d) It is exciting.
4. What does Brennan remember about a man who was shot in the head in Vietnam and the man's face when it happened?
(a) His eyes opened wide.
(b) He squinted.
(c) His eyes shut tightly.
(d) He screamed.
5. What does Brennan hear in the night after he falls down?
(a) A rattle snake.
(d) Horses running.
6. What saying keeps running through Brennan's head?
(a) I am a man.
(b) Take me, spirit.
(c) Mercy, please.
(d) Take me home.
7. What does Brennan see where he meets Dr. Tibbets?
(a) An Indian waiter.
(b) Metal tables and bright lights.
(c) A skeleton in Tibbets' foyer.
(d) Mr. Homesley's music room.
8. What kind of environmental conditions d0 patrol reports write about?
(a) Hot and wet.
(b) Cold and rainy.
(c) Cool and dry.
(d) Dust and heat.
9. What does Brennan begin to have in Chapter 11?
(a) Strange dreams.
(b) Anger management problems.
(c) A larger appetite than normal.
(d) Nighttime panic attacks.
10. How does Brennan elude the men chasing him?
(a) Going into a cave they were too big to enter.
(b) Up an old Apache climbing path.
(c) Buried in the sand.
(d) Hiding under a boulder.
11. What does Mr. Homesley say about Brennan going into the canyon alone?
(a) He might get hurt.
(b) Someone should go with him.
(c) He'll be fine.
(d) He is being guided by a dead Indian.
12. What does Brennan's mother say when the men tell Brennan about his mother's concern?
(a) They could leave now.
(b) She didn't know what was going on.
(c) She takes back the complaint.
(d) She could see he was fine.
13. What iss the purpose of most of the patrols around Fort Bliss?
(a) Maintain public order and engage hostiles.
(b) Find lost settlers.
(c) Capture wild mustangs.
(d) Keep the soldiers occupied.
14. What does Mr. Homesley say about God and beetles?
(a) God must really like beetles.
(b) Maybe God looks like a beetle.
(c) God was nice to provide food for the ants.
(d) Maybe God created earth for the beetles.
15. Where do Mr. Homesley and Brennan take the skull?
(a) To the school.
(b) To the morgue.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the police station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do ranchers take their families to El Paso?
2. What does Mr. Homesley do in the military?
3. How does Brennan see where he is going when night falls?
4. What does Brennan think about the commanding officer's reply to Mrs. Gebhart?
5. What subject does Mr. Homesley teach?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)