|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amelia Gephart ask the commanding officer to tell her?
(a) If he actually had a gun.
(b) In what canyon was the body buried.
(c) If Coyote Runs was killed and where.
(d) If he was an adult.
2. What does Brennan find in the sky to help him?
(a) The Big Dipper and North Star.
(b) Orion the Hunter.
(c) The Southern Cross.
(d) The moon.
3. What kind of officials are standing with Brennan's mother?
(a) Two highway patroll officers.
(b) A National Forest Ranger.
(c) A city policeman.
(d) Two sheriffs.
4. What do the soldiers have to do sometimes to drink?
(a) Use a water wagon.
(b) Dig a well.
(c) Cut cacti.
(d) Cut the veins on their horses and drink the blood.
5. How does Brennan leave his house?
(a) Through the garage.
(b) Through the back door.
(c) Through a window.
(d) Through the front door.
6. What does the voice in Brennan's head tell him about snakes?
(a) They did not move at night.
(b) There were no snakes in that part of the desert.
(c) Night is when the snakes hunted.
(d) He could push a stick ahead of him in the sand.
7. What does Brennan decide he has to do with the skull?
(a) Take it to the Apache reservation.
(b) Follow the instructions in the dream.
(c) Give it to a museum.
(d) Give it to Dr. Tibbets.
8. What does Mr. Homesley tell Brennan about beetles?
(a) They are bad for the ecology of the Earth.
(b) They are often killed with pesticides.
(c) They eat almost anything.
(d) They are the most numerous species on Earth.
9. What kind of environmental conditions d0 patrol reports write about?
(a) Hot and wet.
(b) Cold and rainy.
(c) Dust and heat.
(d) Cool and dry.
10. Why do ranchers take their families to El Paso?
(a) To sell to the soldiers.
(b) So the kids could attend school.
(c) They fear the Indians.
(d) For the weekly dances.
11. What does Brennan do with his t-shirt when he takes it off while running?
(a) Ties it to his belt.
(b) Ties it to his arm.
(c) Suffs it in his pocket.
(d) Wraps it around his forehead.
12. What does Brennan do with the skull to check out his theory on it?
(a) Puts a wig on it.
(b) Meditates on it.
(c) Draws a picture of the person from the topographical features.
(d) Measures it.
13. What does Brennan do when the men jump at him?
(a) Kicks sand in their eyes.
(b) Runs between them.
(c) Pushes Mr. Homesley in front of them.
(d) Falls backwards over a dune.
14. What does Brennan hear in the night after he falls down?
(b) A rattle snake.
(c) Horses running.
15. To what did Brennan's activities with Mr. Homeley lead?
(a) Brennan joining the science club.
(b) Brennan building an ant farm at home.
(c) Brennan deciding to study entomology.
(d) A friendship of sorts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brennan think is the nationality of the soldiers who chased Coyote Runs?
2. What is Brennan feeling while waiting for information from Homesley's friend?
3. What does Mr. Homesley do in the military?
4. Why does Brennan think a fire would be nice?
5. What interferes with Brennan's time with Mr. Homesley during the summer?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)