|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Blanche claim she had trouble putting on her makeup for her date in Act II?
2. Where is the medal from that Stanley earned for the hundred-yard dash two years ago?
3. Of whom does Jack say in Act II, “That child is pampered too much”?
4. Where does Laurie say her sister goes every night with the boy she’s been seeing in Act II?
5. Stanley has been fired from his job for doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has sent the letter with Laurie in Act II? What news does the letter relate?
2. Why does Stanley decide to leave home in Act II? What does he ask Eugene for before he goes?
3. How effective was Neil Simon in integrating drama and comedy in his writing of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
4. How does the relationship between Blanche and Kate evolve through the narrative?
5. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room in the beginning of Act II?
6. Why do Jack and Kate Jerome argue in the beginning of Act II?
7. How does Kate respond when Stanley confesses the truth about his salary in Act II?
8. How does Eugene respond to Stanley’s departure in Act II? Who does he go to talk to about the situation?
9. Where was Brighton Beach Memoirs first produced? When did it premiere on Broadway?
10. How did critics respond to the original production of Brighton Beach Memoirs? How does the play fit in with Neil Simon’s body of works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the internal conflicts presented in Act I within the characters of Eugene, Stanley, Kate, Blanche, Nora, and Laurie. How do these conflicts differ from external conflicts? How do these conflicts drive the plot of the story forward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Laurie Morton as though you were casting a production of Brighton Beach Memoirs. What actresses in entertainment today would you consider to play this role? Why? How would you like to see the character costumed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Stanley Jerome in the play. How old is Stanley? What kind of relationship does he have with his younger brother? How is Stanley regarded by his parents?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)