|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Eugene say is his “life’s savings” stored in his cigar box in Act II?
2. Who is Blanche preparing to go on a date with in the opening of Act II?
3. How much money’s worth of stamps does Eugene offer to Stanley in Act II?
4. Eugene asks the audience in Act II, “How am I going to become a writer if I don’t know how to” what?
5. Where does Blanche say she knows a woman she can stay with while she looks for work in Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the internal conflicts faced by Blanche Morton in the play?
2. What news does Jack Jerome receive via a letter in the mail in Act II?
3. What has Neil Simon noted in terms of his relationship to Brighton Beach Memoirs and its autobiographical elements?
4. Who has sent the letter with Laurie in Act II? What news does the letter relate?
5. Why do Jack and Kate Jerome argue in the beginning of Act II?
6. How does the relationship between Blanche and Kate evolve through the narrative?
7. How did critics respond to the original production of Brighton Beach Memoirs? How does the play fit in with Neil Simon’s body of works?
8. How is the relationship between Eugene and Laurie illustrated in the play?
9. How is Blanche’s appearance described when she enters in Act II? What causes tension in this scene regarding Stanley’s income?
10. How much time passes between the end of Act I and the opening of Act II? How has the household changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Kate Jerome in the play. How old is Kate? How long has she been married to Jack? What characteristics stand out the most through Kate’s interactions with the family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the setting of the play. Examine the year in which the play is set, the location in New York of the Jerome household, and the political, international, and economic atmosphere of this setting. When did the Great Depression begin? What brought about the end of the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative style of Brighton Beach Memoirs and Eugene’s role as narrator in the play. What is the “fourth wall” of the theater and how does Eugene’s narration break the fourth wall? What is this style of speaking to the audience called?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)