|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Eugene respond his mother has told him not to leave his things around the house in Act I?
2. What month is it in the opening of Act I?
3. Eugene says in Act I that one day he’s going to be a writer like whom?
4. What does Nora say will be on the stage in the Broadway musical she wants to be in, in Act I?
5. How old is Laurie Morton described as in the stage directions from Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room before dinner in Act I?
2. What news does Nora Morton relate to the family when she arrives home in Act I?
3. What conclusion is reached regarding Nora Morton’s proposal to her family in Act I?
4. What comprises the second floor of the Jerome house, according to the stage directions in Act I? How is the setting related to the themes in the play?
5. How does the historical context of the play relate to its themes?
6. How does Blanche Morton respond to the news that Nora Morton relates to the family before dinner in Act I?
7. How would you describe Eugene’s relationship with his family in Act I?
8. What concerns Jack Jerome during dinner in Act I? What does the family discuss?
9. How is the Jerome house described in the stage directions for Act I? What comprises the first floor of the house?
10. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Blanche’s options for independence in the play. Why did Blanche and her children move in with the Jeromes after Dave’s death? What types of jobs are available to Blanche in this economy? What does Blanche hope will come of her date with Frank Murphy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and discuss the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Nora Morton in Act I of Brighton Beach Memoirs. Why does Nora want to be in a Broadway musical? What prevents her from doing so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Brighton Beach Memoirs. Where is Eugene in the process of growing up in Act I? How do you foresee his character evolving in the play? How has Eugene become an adult in some ways by the end of the story?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)