|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many unseen bedrooms are described upstairs in the Jerome household in the stage directions for Act I?
2. Nora tells her family in Act I that the Broadway musical she wants to be in will start rehearsing when?
3. What role did actor Peter Michael Goetz play in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
4. At what theater does Nora say she has to go to in order to audition for the Broadway musical in Act I?
5. How long have Blanche and her children lived in the Jerome household in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eugene’s character relate to the theme of responsibility in Act I?
2. How does Blanche Morton respond to the news that Nora Morton relates to the family before dinner in Act I?
3. What do Jack Jerome and Nora Morton discuss while walking on the beach in Act I?
4. How is the setting of Brighton Beach Memoirs described in the opening stage directions for Act I? What year is the play set in?
5. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
6. What dream does Eugene describe to Stanley in Act I? What is Stanley’s response?
7. What do Nora and Laurie discuss while Eugene goes to the store in Act I?
8. What information does Eugene give to the reader/audience regarding Blanche Morton in the beginning of Act I?
9. What concerns Jack Jerome during dinner in Act I? What does the family discuss?
10. What news does Nora Morton relate to the family when she arrives home in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Jack Jerome. How old is Jack? Where does he work? How is his demeanor described when he first appears in Act I? How does Jack change through the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Stanley’s decision to write a letter of apology to get his job back at the end of Act I. What does this action mean in terms of Stanley’s ethics? Would you make the same decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
a. Discuss the plot structure of Brighton Beach Memoirs. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader or audience member?
b. How does Brighton Beach Memoirs compare with other Broadway plays written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Neil Simon’s writing?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)