|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The letter that Blanche receives in Act II says that despite all of Frank’s faults, what “have never been his failings”?
(a) Generosity and kindness
(b) Love for his family
(c) Drunkenness and abuse
(d) Honesty and sincerity
2. What does Kate lend to Blanche to wear on her date in Act II?
(a) An emerald ring
(b) A diamond necklace
(c) A pearl necklace
(d) A ruby necklace
3. How much money does Eugene say is his “life’s savings” stored in his cigar box in Act II?
4. Stanley says in Act II that when he claimed to have lost money in November, he actually did what with it?
(a) Used it to take a trip to New Jersey
(b) Paid for a car payment
(c) Lost it gambling
(d) Paid for a prostitute
5. Who gave Laurie the letter that she brings to Blanche in Act II?
(a) Frank Murphy
(b) Nora Jerome
(c) Eugene Jerome
(d) Mrs. Murphy
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Stanley give to his father that he earned setting pins at the bowling alley the night before at the end of Act II?
2. What does Kate tell Laurie she’s made for dinner tonight in the beginning of Act II?
3. Jack Jerome’s second job was selling what before the company shut down?
4. The letter to Blanche in Act II says, “I tried to reach you earlier, then realized you had no” what?
5. Jack tells Kate in Act II, “I’m not going to leave you. I promise. If I didn’t leave you for another woman, I’m certainly not going to” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the initial conflict between Kate and Blanche in Act II?
2. What has Neil Simon noted in terms of his relationship to Brighton Beach Memoirs and its autobiographical elements?
3. When does Stanley return home in Act II? Why does he decide to return?
4. Who has sent the letter with Laurie in Act II? What news does the letter relate?
5. How does Kate respond when Stanley confesses the truth about his salary in Act II?
6. How does the conflict between Kate and Blanche become resolved in Act II?
7. What do Blanche and Nora discuss when Nora arrives home in Act II?
8. Why does Stanley decide to leave home in Act II? What does he ask Eugene for before he goes?
9. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room in the beginning of Act II?
10. Where was Brighton Beach Memoirs first produced? When did it premiere on Broadway?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)