|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Eugene say is his “life’s savings” stored in his cigar box in Act II?
2. Eugene asks the audience in Act II, “How am I going to become a writer if I don’t know how to” what?
(b) Come up with ideas
(c) Write dialogue
(d) Perceive weakness
3. How long does Jack say the Murphys have lived across the street in Act II?
(a) 2 years
(b) 5 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 1 year
4. Eugene says that his cousin Nora has been seeing what guy every night in Act II?
(a) James Handy
(b) Michael Stuart
(c) William Ross
(d) Larry Clurman
5. Blanche says in Act II, “We’re all poor around here, the least we can be is” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Laurie the letter that she brings to Blanche in Act II?
2. How old does Blanche say her husband was when he died in Act II?
3. Eugene says of his mother in Act II, “She’s angry at the whole world. That’s why she’s making” what for dinner?
4. What flavor ice cream does Jack tell Eugene to get for his mother in Act II?
5. Where does Stanley work in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Eugene and Laurie illustrated in the play?
2. What causes the internal conflicts faced by Blanche Morton in the play?
3. What do Blanche and Nora discuss when Nora arrives home in Act II?
4. How is Brighton Beach Memoirs metaphorical for the onset of World War II?
5. How is Blanche’s appearance described when she enters in Act II? What causes tension in this scene regarding Stanley’s income?
6. What criticisms did Neil Simon receive for the original production of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
7. How does the conflict between Kate and Blanche become resolved in Act II?
8. When does Stanley return home in Act II? Why does he decide to return?
9. How would you describe the character of Jack Jerome in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
10. What other plays are connected in the trilogy that includes Brighton Beach Memoirs?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)