|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stanley returns home at the end of Act II, Eugene tells him, “Mom’s in the kitchen cooking. Pop’s upstairs with his prayer book. They figured if God didn’t bring you home, maybe” what would?
(a) Her chocolate cake
(b) Her chicken noodle soup
(c) Her homemade pirogues
(d) Her potato pancakes
2. How much money does Stanley give to his father that he earned setting pins at the bowling alley the night before at the end of Act II?
3. Eugene tells his brother in Act II, “Pop isn’t going to die. He ate” what “tonight”?
(a) Two roast beef sandwiches
(b) Salad and soup
(c) Three lamb chops
(d) Two bowls of ice cream
4. How much money does Kate give to Eugene to buy ice cream with in Act II?
5. Where is Blanche going to dinner for her date in Act II?
(a) Jean George’s Restaurant
(b) Anderson’s Restaurant
(c) Chardov’s Restaurant
(d) The Four Seasons
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack Jerome’s second job was selling what before the company shut down?
2. How long was Stanley gambling before he’d lost his whole salary in Act II?
3. What does Laurie say the person who gave her the letter offered for her to eat in Act II?
4. Stanley makes Eugene promise him that he’ll do what in the future in Act II?
5. The letter to Blanche in Act II says, “I tried to reach you earlier, then realized you had no” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the character of Jack Jerome in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
2. How effective was Neil Simon in integrating drama and comedy in his writing of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
3. How much time passes between the end of Act I and the opening of Act II? How has the household changed?
4. What do Blanche and Nora discuss when Nora arrives home in Act II?
5. What other plays are connected in the trilogy that includes Brighton Beach Memoirs?
6. When does Stanley return home in Act II? Why does he decide to return?
7. How is the relationship between Eugene and Laurie illustrated in the play?
8. What causes the initial conflict between Kate and Blanche in Act II?
9. Where was Brighton Beach Memoirs first produced? When did it premiere on Broadway?
10. What news does Jack Jerome receive via a letter in the mail in Act II?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)