|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave Laurie the letter that she brings to Blanche in Act II?
(a) Eugene Jerome
(b) Nora Jerome
(c) Mrs. Murphy
(d) Frank Murphy
2. To what store does Jack tell Eugene to go for ice cream in Act II?
(d) Piggly Wiggly
3. Jack Jerome’s second job was selling what before the company shut down?
(a) Party favors
(b) Vacuum cleaners
4. Blanche asks Kate in Act II if she remembers how their mother cried when who left home?
5. Due to Jack’s health, Jack and Kate are unable to go to an affair to see who with his orchestra in Act II?
(a) James Taylor
(b) Lawrence Welk
(c) Glen Gray
(d) Roger Waters
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack says to Blanche when she and Kate are fighting in Act II, “Tell her what it’s like to live in a house that isn’t yours. To have to depend on somebody else to put food on your plate every night. I know what it’s like because I lived that way until I was” how old?
2. How much is the salary that Stanley has lost in Act II?
3. Where does Laurie say her sister goes every night with the boy she’s been seeing in Act II?
4. Eugene says of his mother in Act II, “She’s angry at the whole world. That’s why she’s making” what for dinner?
5. What does Eugene say his dad was doing at nights to try to earn extra money before his health collapsed in Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Blanche’s appearance described when she enters in Act II? What causes tension in this scene regarding Stanley’s income?
2. What causes the internal conflicts faced by Blanche Morton in the play?
3. What causes the initial conflict between Kate and Blanche in Act II?
4. Why do Jack and Kate Jerome argue in the beginning of Act II?
5. Why does Stanley decide to leave home in Act II? What does he ask Eugene for before he goes?
6. How does the relationship between Blanche and Kate evolve through the narrative?
7. How did critics respond to the original production of Brighton Beach Memoirs? How does the play fit in with Neil Simon’s body of works?
8. What other plays are connected in the trilogy that includes Brighton Beach Memoirs?
9. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room in the beginning of Act II?
10. How does Kate respond when Stanley confesses the truth about his salary in Act II?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)