|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kate describe her parents packing up and leaving the house to come to America in Act I?
2. What school classes does Nora say aren’t “going to help me on the stage” in Act I?
(a) Calculus and Home Economics
(b) Algebra and English
(c) Science and Math
(d) Drama and Dance
3. What ailment does Eugene say his aunt Blanche suffers from in Act I?
(d) A heart flutter
4. What actress played the role of Blanche in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
(a) Gracie Bea Lawrence
(b) Jodi Thelon
(c) Joyce Van Patten
(d) Elizabeth Franz
5. Kate describes the Murphy family across the street as belonging to what group in Act I?
(a) The Cossacks
(b) The Israelis
(c) The Nazis
(d) The Goyim
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Broadway producer that Nora says came to her dance class in Act I?
2. How many times does Eugene respond his mother has told him not to leave his things around the house in Act I?
3. At what time does Nora say she must be at the theater to audition for the Broadway musical in Act I?
4. What is Kate carrying in Act I when she walks out of the kitchen and says to Eugene, “On my kitchen floor? Do you want me dead, is that what you want”?
5. After listing his top baseball teams he’d like to play for one day, Eugene says that if it gets down to what team then he’d consider just being a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eugene doing as the play opens in Act I? How is his neighborhood described?
2. What are Eugene’s principle concerns in Act I? How does his character evolve in the narrative?
3. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room before dinner in Act I?
4. What information is given to the reader/audience from Eugene in the beginning of Act I?
5. What is the central conflict for Nora Morton in Act I of the play?
6. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
7. How is the character of Kate Jerome described in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
8. Why does Eugene’s mother call him inside in the beginning of Act I? What does Eugene relate about his ambitions in this scene?
9. How is the theme of responsibility illustrated in Act I of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
10. How would you describe Eugene’s relationship with his family in Act I?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)