|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eugene says in Act I that one day he’s going to be a writer like whom?
(a) Ernest Hemingway
(b) Samuel Beckett
(c) Ring Lardner
(d) Chaim Potok
2. On what day does Nora say she’s going to audition for the Broadway musical in Act I?
3. How many bedrooms are described as being seen by the audience upstairs in the Jerome house in the stage directions for Act I?
4. What month is it in the opening of Act I?
5. Where does Nora say the Broadway musical she wants to be in will premiere first in Act I?
(c) Bucks County
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the original production of Brighton Beach Memoirs premiere on Broadway?
2. Eugene says in Act I that he “got hit with a baseball right in the back of the skull” and had double vision for a week and still had to do what chore?
3. What does Nora say will be on the stage in the Broadway musical she wants to be in, in Act I?
4. What ailment is Laurie Morton said to suffer from in Act I?
5. What actress played the role of Nora in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eugene Jerome’s role in the play? How does his character stand out in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
2. What decision does Stanley reach regarding his job in Act I? How does Eugene help him?
3. How does Blanche Morton respond to the news that Nora Morton relates to the family before dinner in Act I?
4. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
5. How is the character of Kate Jerome described in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
6. What comprises the second floor of the Jerome house, according to the stage directions in Act I? How is the setting related to the themes in the play?
7. How does the historical context of the play relate to its themes?
8. How is the setting of Brighton Beach Memoirs described in the opening stage directions for Act I? What year is the play set in?
9. Why does Eugene’s mother call him inside in the beginning of Act I? What does Eugene relate about his ambitions in this scene?
10. What is the central conflict for Nora Morton in Act I of the play?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)