|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what class does Laurie say she’s got a big test tomorrow in the beginning of Act I?
2. Who tells Nora that she can’t sing or carry a tune in Act I?
(a) Laurie Morton
(b) Blanche Morton
(c) Eugene Jerome
(d) Kate Jerome
3. After listing his top baseball teams he’d like to play for one day, Eugene says that if it gets down to what team then he’d consider just being a writer?
(a) The Boston Red Sox
(b) The Dallas Cowboys
(c) The Atlanta Braves
(d) The St. Louis Browns
4. In Act I, Eugene says his name is the second worst name ever given to a male child. What is the “first worst” name?
(a) Peter Gnarley
(b) Chaim Potok
(c) Everly Williams
(d) Haskell Fleischmann
5. What is Eugene’s full name in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
(a) Eugene Williams Jerome
(b) Eugene Morris Jerome
(c) Eugene Stephen Jerome
(d) Eugene Stanley Jerome
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora say will be on the stage in the Broadway musical she wants to be in, in Act I?
2. Nora tells her family in Act I that the Broadway musical she wants to be in will start rehearsing when?
3. What is the name of the Broadway musical Nora says she’s going to be cast in, in Act I?
4. What role did actor Peter Michael Goetz play in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
5. When Eugene’s mother tells him to stop throwing the baseball against the wall in the opening of Act I, he tells her this game is for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Eugene give to the reader/audience regarding Blanche Morton in the beginning of Act I?
2. What conversation do Jack and Stanley have at bedtime in Act I?
3. Why does Eugene’s mother call him inside in the beginning of Act I? What does Eugene relate about his ambitions in this scene?
4. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
5. What news does Nora Morton relate to the family when she arrives home in Act I?
6. Discuss the narrative style of Brighton Beach Memoirs. What purpose does the use of direct address serve in the play?
7. What dream does Eugene describe to Stanley in Act I? What is Stanley’s response?
8. What decision does Stanley reach regarding his job in Act I? How does Eugene help him?
9. How is the setting of Brighton Beach Memoirs described in the opening stage directions for Act I? What year is the play set in?
10. How does Blanche Morton respond to the news that Nora Morton relates to the family before dinner in Act I?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)