|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nora tells her family in Act I that the Broadway musical she wants to be in will start rehearsing when?
(a) A week from Monday
(b) In three weeks
(c) In two months
(d) A week from Thursday
2. Eugene says in Act I that one day he’s going to be a writer like whom?
(a) Ring Lardner
(b) Chaim Potok
(c) Ernest Hemingway
(d) Samuel Beckett
3. Eugene tells the audience in Act I, “If my mother knew I was writing all this down, she would” do what?
(a) Stuff me like one of her chickens
(b) Send me straight to college
(c) Ground me for a month
(d) Send me to a therapist
4. Nora tells her mother in Act I that in taking this Broadway role she could be making almost how much money per week?
5. When does Nora say the Broadway musical she wants to be in will come to New York in Act I?
(a) The second week of December
(b) The third week of August
(c) The first week of July
(d) The second week of October
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds to say they’re excited for her when Nora asks in Act I, “My God, isn’t anybody excited?”
2. When arguing with her mother about leaving school to audition for Broadway in Act I, Nora says, “I’ll be making more money than” how many “girls with diplomas”?
3. What role did actor Peter Michael Goetz play in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
4. When Eugene mimes a ballgame in the opening of Act I, what name does he call the pitcher?
5. Eugene tells the audience in Act I that he’s left instructions for his memoirs to not be opened until how many years after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Eugene’s principle concerns in Act I? How does his character evolve in the narrative?
2. How does Eugene describe his cousin Laurie Morton in Act I?
3. What information does Eugene give to the reader/audience regarding Blanche Morton in the beginning of Act I?
4. What dream does Eugene describe to Stanley in Act I? What is Stanley’s response?
5. What do Kate and Blanche discuss alone downstairs after dinner in Act I?
6. How is the theme of responsibility illustrated in Act I of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
7. What news does Nora Morton relate to the family when she arrives home in Act I?
8. What concerns Jack Jerome during dinner in Act I? What does the family discuss?
9. What news does Stanley relate to Eugene in their room before dinner in Act I?
10. What do Nora and Laurie discuss while Eugene goes to the store in Act I?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)