|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When arguing with her mother about leaving school to audition for Broadway in Act I, Nora says, “I’ll be making more money than” how many “girls with diplomas”?
2. What month is it in the opening of Act I?
3. Kate describes the Murphy family across the street as belonging to what group in Act I?
(a) The Israelis
(b) The Goyim
(c) The Nazis
(d) The Cossacks
4. What role did Zeljko Ivanek play in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
(a) Eugene Jerome
(b) Stanley Jerome
(c) Jack Jerome
(d) Frank Murphy
5. What is Kate carrying in Act I when she walks out of the kitchen and says to Eugene, “On my kitchen floor? Do you want me dead, is that what you want”?
(a) A jump rope
(b) A skateboard
(c) A roller skate
(d) A train set
6. How old is Eugene Jerome in Act I?
(a) Almost 15
(b) Almost 13
(c) Almost 16
(d) Almost 14
7. On what day does Nora say she’s going to audition for the Broadway musical in Act I?
8. Eugene says in Act I that he “got hit with a baseball right in the back of the skull” and had double vision for a week and still had to do what chore?
(a) Carry a block of ice home every afternoon
(b) Wash the dishes
(c) Wash and iron his school clothes each day
(d) Take out the trash every morning
9. How long does Kate say she’s lived in this house in Act I?
(a) 3 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 5 years
(d) 10 years
10. How many years has Nora been in dancing school in Act I?
11. How many big musical numbers are in the Broadway musical that Nora hopes to be in?
12. After listing his top baseball teams he’d like to play for one day, Eugene says that if it gets down to what team then he’d consider just being a writer?
(a) The Boston Red Sox
(b) The St. Louis Browns
(c) The Dallas Cowboys
(d) The Atlanta Braves
13. What role did actor Peter Michael Goetz play in the original cast of Brighton Beach Memoirs?
(a) Frank Murphy
(b) Jack Jerome
(c) Stanley Jerome
(d) Eugene Jerome
14. In Act I, Eugene says his name is the second worst name ever given to a male child. What is the “first worst” name?
(a) Haskell Fleischmann
(b) Everly Williams
(c) Peter Gnarley
(d) Chaim Potok
15. At what time does Nora say she must be at the theater to audition for the Broadway musical in Act I?
(a) 8:00 a.m.
(b) 11:00 a.m.
(c) 10:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eugene’s full name in Brighton Beach Memoirs?
2. Who does the pitcher get the sign from before pitching in Eugene’s imaginary baseball game in the beginning of Act I?
3. Eugene tells the audience in Act I that he’s left instructions for his memoirs to not be opened until how many years after his death?
4. Nora tells her family in Act I that the Broadway musical she wants to be in will start rehearsing when?
5. What does Nora say will be on the stage in the Broadway musical she wants to be in, in Act I?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)