|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tad Allagash's main goal in life?
(a) He is an athlete and constantly training for the Olympic games.
(b) He hopes one day to become mayor of New York City.
(c) He strives to have more fun than anyone else in New York City.
(d) He is doctor and is working fervently to cure cancer.
2. Where was her first overseas modeling trip?
(a) Milan, Italy.
(b) Madrid, Spain.
(c) London, England.
(d) Paris, France.
3. What author did the narrator, in his first days at the company, give advice about his award-winning prose?
(a) Steven Paul.
(b) Amanda Sykes.
(c) John Donlevy.
(d) Marianne Miller.
4. What scent does the narrator catch on Bleecker street?
(a) A dumpster.
(b) An Italian bakery.
(c) Fresh fish.
(d) Coffee from open windows of an apartment building.
5. Who has called in sick to the office?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Megan Avery.
(c) Clara Tillinghast.
(d) The Druid.
6. Who has left a message for him inside the apartment?
(a) His father.
(b) Tad Allagash.
7. Who is Alex Hardy?
(a) A doorman who occasionally works the elevator.
(b) A fellow Facts Department coworker.
(c) A fiction editor emeritus.
(d) The narrator's brother.
8. What animal does the narrator compare to Amanda?
(a) A foal.
(b) A bear cub.
(c) A gosling.
(d) A puppy.
9. What mood is the narrator in as he goes to bed after the date?
(a) He is indifferent, dreading the confrontation with Tillinghast.
(b) He is confused and angry about his feelings for Vicky.
(c) For the first time in a while he is happy.
(d) He is miserable, like always.
10. Of what do Elaine's dance moves remind the narrator?
(a) Graceful princessess.
(b) Figures on Egyptian tombs.
(c) Broadway chorus girls.
(d) Neighborhood ho-downs of the south.
11. Why does the narrator dislike going home?
(a) His apartment is a slum and infested with cockroaches.
(b) He lives with an unruly roommate.
(c) His apartment is haunted with thoughts of his ex-wife.
(d) He lives with his nagging mother.
12. How does the narrator get the girl to dance with him longer after she's said she is tired?
(a) He pays the DJ to play better songs.
(b) He offers her drugs which she gladly takes.
(c) He threatens her with bodily harm.
(d) He gives her a rose and tells her she is beautiful.
13. How does the narrator react when Rich asks him about Amanda?
(a) He punches Rich in the face and is arrested.
(b) He opens up to Rich about his painful experiences.
(c) He bursts into tears and faints, ending up in the hospital.
(d) He makes up a story about her death as an activist.
14. What street performer do Vicky and the narrator watch at Sheridan Square?
(a) A painted statue person.
(b) A dancer with a boom box.
(c) A one-man band.
(d) An acrobat on a unicycle.
15. What happens to the narrator's deadline on the French piece?
(a) The French piece is completely scrapped and all his time wasted.
(b) The deadline is moved up and he may not be able to finish.
(c) The deadline is delayed, giving him much more time.
(d) The French piece is taken out of his hands and given to Avery.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way to work, what poster does the narrator see?
2. How was the narrator's innocent advice perceived by his superiors at the magazine?
3. How does the narrator feel about his childhood?
4. Why does the narrator begin to panic as the morning waxes?
5. With whom does the narrator ride the train to work?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)