|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the narrator propose to Amanda?
(a) He proposed after meeting her mother.
(b) He proposed after taking her out for a lovely dinner.
(c) He proposed while they rode a carriage through Central Park.
(d) He proposed after coming home late from a night with the boys.
2. Who is the narrator's direct supervisor?
(b) Clara Tillinghast.
(c) Megan Avery.
(d) Yasu Wade.
3. In which department would the narrator rather be working?
(a) The Fiction Department.
(b) The Grammar Department.
(c) The Department of Photography.
(d) The Department of Factual Verification.
4. What reservations did the narrator's father have about Amanda?
(a) He feared the differences in their backgrounds would come between them.
(b) He feared she would not like the east coast.
(c) He feared Amanda would discover that his son was an imbecile.
(d) He found her unfriendly and feared she would not warm up.
5. What mood is the narrator in as he goes to bed after the date?
(a) For the first time in a while he is happy.
(b) He is miserable, like always.
(c) He is confused and angry about his feelings for Vicky.
(d) He is indifferent, dreading the confrontation with Tillinghast.
6. What suit does the narrator take against Amanda?
(a) Grand larceny.
(b) Irreconcilable differences.
(d) Sexual abandonment.
7. With whom did the narrator come to the club?
(b) Megan Avery.
(c) Clara Tillinghast.
(d) Tad Allagash.
8. How does the narrator react when Rich asks him about Amanda?
(a) He opens up to Rich about his painful experiences.
(b) He punches Rich in the face and is arrested.
(c) He makes up a story about her death as an activist.
(d) He bursts into tears and faints, ending up in the hospital.
9. Where does Alex suspect homosexuality "comes from"?
(a) Vaccines given to children.
(b) One's upbringing.
(d) Hormones injected into beef.
10. Upon his discovery, what phrase does the narrator blurt out?
(a) "To each his own."
(b) "Better safe than sorry."
(c) "Bon appétit."
(d) "Et tu, Brute?"
11. Where was her first overseas modeling trip?
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) London, England.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Milan, Italy.
12. How was the narrator's innocent advice perceived by his superiors at the magazine?
(a) They promptly fired him and he has been on the job market ever since.
(b) They were in awe and immediately promoted him.
(c) They were completely outraged at his presumption.
(d) There never found out that he did it.
13. Why does the narrator like Tad Allagash?
(a) He and Allagash have been friends since childhood.
(b) He and Allagash have been through a lot of tough times together.
(c) Allagash never asks him probing questions: their friendship is very surface.
(d) Allagash is helping the narrator win back Amanda, the love of his life.
14. Is the narrator depressed about his current situation?
(a) Yes, he is in a pattern he cannot break.
(b) It is unclear in the text.
(c) Maybe, he is entirely indecisive.
(d) No, he loves his lifestyle.
15. What scent does the narrator catch on Bleecker street?
(a) An Italian bakery.
(b) Coffee from open windows of an apartment building.
(c) Fresh fish.
(d) A dumpster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the narrator's most significant contact with The Druid?
2. To what does the narrator compare Vicky's childhood?
3. What street performer do Vicky and the narrator watch at Sheridan Square?
4. What item seen in the window of an antique shop does Vicky want in her house someday?
5. What is Tad Allagash's main goal in life?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)