|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why did only Roberto and Francisco go back to the United States?
2. In Chapter 6, what grade did Francisco get on a report for science?
3. In Chapter 3, what did Francisco notice that the boys in his class talked about at recess?
4. In Chapter 8, when did Francisco start high school?
5. In Chapter 3, how long would Roberto and Francisco practice dancing daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what did Roberto and Francisco do to get the house ready for their family?
2. In Chapter 1, why did Francisco live in constant fear from the time he was four until he was 14?
3. How did Francisco and Roberto learn to dance in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Francisco do to deal with the boredom of picking strawberries?
5. In Chapter 7, how did Francisco look when his father cut his hair, and how did his mother help him?
6. In Chapter 2, what did Francisco miss when he and Roberto were alone in their house without their family?
7. In Chapter 7, why was Francisco the only one who joined Papa picking strawberries in the summer?
8. In Chapter 10, how did Roberto and Francisco earn extra money?
9. In Chapter 5, what happened when Francisco's father tried to be a sharecropper?
10. In Chapter 10, why did the family fall behind on their rent payments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Francisco often struggled with his classes in school. How hard did Francisco work to do well in school? What did his actions demonstrate about perseverance?
Essay Topic 2
Francisco endured many challenges that helped him grow up. What challenges and events did Francisco endure that helped him mature and come of age during the time in his life that he writes about in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimenez family immigrated to the United States illegally, but later got their green cards. How did emigrating affect the lives of family members? How did it affect the goals they made?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)