|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wouldn't the controller allow John to go with Bernard and Helmholtz?
2. What does the music box play to calm the crowd?
3. How do John and Lenina travel?
4. Which of the following has not been described by the controller as something that has paid a high price for happiness?
5. What does the director accuse Bernard of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
2. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
3. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
4. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
5. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
6. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
7. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
8. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
9. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
10. Why does Linda call John Pope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the use of conditioning in your own life in comparison to how it is used in the novel. Use both personal experiences and specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing why consumption is an important value in this novel. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)