|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the director propose Bernard should be transfered?
2. Which of the following ideas from Romeo and Juliet did Helmhotz find very obscene?
3. Where does Lenina take John?
4. Which character has the closest bond with John in this chapter?
5. What does John compare the Delta's coming off of shift to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
2. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
3. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
4. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
5. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
6. Why does John begin whipping himself?
7. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
8. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
9. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
10. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why consumption is an important value in this novel. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a essay describing John's views on sexual values. Include in your essay the basis of John's values when he first arrives in the civilization and how this changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the development of characters throughout this novel. Think of questions such as: Are the characters well developed? Do the characters become more developed as the novel progresses?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)