|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character becomes newly confident and lets some success go to his head?
2. Which character has the closest bond with John in this chapter?
3. Which character does Bernard send reports too which agree with some of the Savage's ideas?
4. Who does the director have with him to meet with Bernard?
5. In what name did John throw out the soma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
2. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
3. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
4. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
5. How do the people who listen to Bernard's ideas on the flaws in society feel about his ideas?
6. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
7. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
8. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
9. What happens with the guests when John refuses to come out of his room?
10. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)