|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the workers react to all of the events with Linda, John and the director?
2. What does John repeatedly say in his grief that confuses the twins?
3. What right does the controller say that John is claiming?
4. In what name did John throw out the soma?
5. What does the music box play to calm the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda call John Pope?
2. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
3. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
4. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
5. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
6. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
7. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
8. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
9. What does the controller indicate has all of the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona without the inconveniences?
10. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail how this novel is an example of a dystopia. Use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the development of characters throughout this novel. Think of questions such as: Are the characters well developed? Do the characters become more developed as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)