|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word describes how John thinks of Linda and the Deltas as they line up for the soma distribution?
2. Which of the following does the controller indicate is incompatible with happiness?
3. What happened to the DHC after John fell to his knees and called him father?
4. What scandalous behavior does John display when his mother dies?
5. Which word describes how the controller felt at Bernard's suggestions about social order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
2. Why does John begin whipping himself?
3. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
4. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
5. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
6. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
7. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
8. What happens with the guests when John refuses to come out of his room?
9. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
10. What does the controller admit to John, Bernard and Helmholtz in relation to books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the development of characters throughout this novel. Think of questions such as: Are the characters well developed? Do the characters become more developed as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Bernard must have felt when he was able to trump the director's ploy to make a public example of Bernard. Use specific examples from the story to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)