|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the controller say floods the system with adrenaline to reproduce the complete physiological effects of fear and rage?
2. Which of the following words is an accurate description of how John responds when Lenina strops off her clothes?
3. Who does Bernard blame for snubbing him?
4. Which of the following characters notices Lenina's growing sadness and makes suggestions on possible treatments?
5. Which of the following best describes how Mustapha Mond responds to John's request for the inconveniences of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
2. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
3. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
4. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
5. Why does John begin whipping himself?
6. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
7. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
8. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
9. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
10. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respond in writing using information from the text and your own personal experiences to answer which is the greater good: pursuit of truth or the good of the society.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)