|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helmholtz call Shakespeare?
2. Which word describes how the controller felt at Bernard's suggestions about social order?
3. What kind of treatment causes the person to feel empty and experience nausea?
4. What does John do with the pillboxes filled with soma?
5. What does Linda announce that causes everyone to fall silent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
2. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
3. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
4. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
5. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
6. What does the controller admit to John, Bernard and Helmholtz in relation to books?
7. Why does John begin whipping himself?
8. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
9. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
10. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Respond in writing using information from the text and your own personal experiences to answer which is the greater good: pursuit of truth or the good of the society.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail, with examples from the text, a Solidarity Service.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)