|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ideas from Romeo and Juliet did Helmhotz find very obscene?
2. What right does the controller say that John is claiming?
3. Which of the following does the controller say floods the system with adrenaline to reproduce the complete physiological effects of fear and rage?
4. How does the nurse distract the twins while John is by his dead mother's bed?
5. What does the director accuse Bernard of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
2. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
3. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
4. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
5. What does Helmholtz do as he presses his way through the crowd?
6. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
7. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
8. What happens with the guests when John refuses to come out of his room?
9. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
10. How do the people who listen to Bernard's ideas on the flaws in society feel about his ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 2
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)