|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the areas the controller says that God isn't compatible with?
2. What kind of treatment causes the person to feel empty and experience nausea?
3. Why does Lenina assume John will not come out of his room?
4. Which of the following ideas from Romeo and Juliet did Helmhotz find very obscene?
5. Which of the following has not been described by the controller as something that has paid a high price for happiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
2. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
3. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
4. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
5. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
6. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
7. Why does John begin whipping himself?
8. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
9. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
10. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
After his mother dies, John feels unwanted and alone. Write an essay explaining how and why John feels this way. Use information and specific details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)