|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the director propose Bernard should be transfered?
2. What does Linda call herself when she sees the DHC for the first time?
3. Where were John, Bernard and Helmholtz taken after the riots?
4. Which of the following does the controller say floods the system with adrenaline to reproduce the complete physiological effects of fear and rage?
5. What causes Helmholtz to become a marked man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
2. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
3. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
4. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
5. What does the controller admit to John, Bernard and Helmholtz in relation to books?
6. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
7. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
8. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
9. Why does Linda call John Pope?
10. How do the people who listen to Bernard's ideas on the flaws in society feel about his ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail how this novel is an example of a dystopia. Use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail, with examples from the text, in what ways and manner Helmholtz has sacrificed himself personally and how he changes that throughout the novel.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)