|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters notices Lenina's growing sadness and makes suggestions on possible treatments?
2. Where does Lenina take John?
3. Who is able to, surprisingly, quote from Shakespeare?
4. Where does the director ask Bernard to meet him?
5. Why wouldn't the controller allow John to go with Bernard and Helmholtz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helmholtz do as he presses his way through the crowd?
2. How do the people who listen to Bernard's ideas on the flaws in society feel about his ideas?
3. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
4. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
5. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
6. Why does Linda call John Pope?
7. What happens with the guests when John refuses to come out of his room?
8. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
9. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
10. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in a complete essay, using examples from the text, how the author uses foreshawdowing throughout the novel to develop the plot and content of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why consumption is an important value in this novel. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail how this novel is an example of a dystopia. Use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)