|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John talk about which horrifies Lenina?
2. Which character becomes newly confident and lets some success go to his head?
3. What does the music box play to calm the crowd?
4. What does John repeatedly say in his grief that confuses the twins?
5. What amazes the nurse who is caring for John's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helmholtz do as he presses his way through the crowd?
2. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
3. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
4. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
5. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
6. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
7. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
8. What does the controller indicate has all of the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona without the inconveniences?
9. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
10. Why does John begin whipping himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his mother dies, John feels unwanted and alone. Write an essay explaining how and why John feels this way. Use information and specific details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)