|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of treatment causes the person to feel empty and experience nausea?
2. Which of the following is not a treatment suggested to Lenina to overcome her growing saddness?
3. Which character does Bernard send reports too which agree with some of the Savage's ideas?
4. Which of the following has not been described by the controller as something that has paid a high price for happiness?
5. Which word describes how the director looks when he sees Linda for the first time after she has returned from the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
2. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
3. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
4. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
5. How do the people who listen to Bernard's ideas on the flaws in society feel about his ideas?
6. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
7. What does the director say is the greatest offense, which Bernard has committed?
8. What happens with the guests when John refuses to come out of his room?
9. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
10. What does the controller admit to John, Bernard and Helmholtz in relation to books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the development of characters throughout this novel. Think of questions such as: Are the characters well developed? Do the characters become more developed as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)