|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes the nurse who is caring for John's mother?
2. Which of the following characters tells Lenina to go to John and have him, not taking no for an answer?
3. Where does Lenina take John?
4. Which of the following phrases does John call Lenina after he pushes her away?
5. What happens to the director at the end of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the feelies about which Lenina and John watched together?
2. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
3. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
4. Why does Linda call John Pope?
5. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
6. Why does John begin whipping himself?
7. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
8. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
9. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
10. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Bernard must have felt when he was able to trump the director's ploy to make a public example of Bernard. Use specific examples from the story to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in a complete essay, using examples from the text, how the author uses foreshawdowing throughout the novel to develop the plot and content of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write a essay describing John's views on sexual values. Include in your essay the basis of John's values when he first arrives in the civilization and how this changes throughout the novel.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)