|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do with his Shakespeare book after Helmholtz bursts into laughter over some of the writing?
2. What does John talk about which horrifies Lenina?
3. Which of the following is not one of the areas the controller says that God isn't compatible with?
4. Why does the director choose this area for the meet?
5. Where does Lenina take John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John begin whipping himself?
2. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
3. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
4. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
5. Describe why Bernard blames John for his feelings.
6. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
7. What does Helmholtz do as he presses his way through the crowd?
8. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
9. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
10. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in a complete essay, using examples from the text, how the author uses foreshawdowing throughout the novel to develop the plot and content of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Bernard must have felt when he was able to trump the director's ploy to make a public example of Bernard. Use specific examples from the story to support your supposition.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)