|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda announce that causes everyone to fall silent?
2. What scandalous behavior does John display when his mother dies?
3. What right does the controller say that John is claiming?
4. How long does the doctor predict Linda will last with her constant soma-holidays?
5. Which word describes how John felt about the feelies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John push Lenina away when she kisses him?
2. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
3. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
4. What does Helmholtz do as he presses his way through the crowd?
5. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
6. What has the new civilization eliminated, which the controller then indicates requires no need for religion?
7. How does John view everyone in the new civilization?
8. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
9. What does the controller indicate has all of the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona without the inconveniences?
10. Why does Linda call John Pope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in a complete essay, using examples from the text, how the author uses foreshawdowing throughout the novel to develop the plot and content of the story.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)