|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda tell John the difference is between mescal and soma?
2. Which of the following best describes how Bernard feels?
3. What are the Suggestions from the State?
4. What on the reservation reminds Lenina of the Solidarity services?
5. Which type of education does the Director indicate should never be rational?
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement in chapter four does Lenina make which is an unconscious echo of one of the many hypnopaedic lessons?
2. What does Henry remark as he and Lenina overlook the crematorium?
3. What horrifies Lenina about the Indian guide?
4. What does the Director say the babies will develop as related to flowers and books?
5. Why wasn't John able to marry the girl that he loved on the reservation?
6. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
7. What is the aim of mass production as described in Chapter 1?
8. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
9. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
10. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing why consumption is an important value in this novel. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)