|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word(s) best describes how John feels on the reservation?
2. What does John's mother smell like to Lenina?
3. Why did the director and the girl have to stay in the mountains overnight?
4. Why are the masses conditioned to hate the country but love all country sports?
5. Where does Bernard need to go to contact Mustapha Mond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenina say was a bunch of dangerous nonsense?
2. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
3. What does the Director indicate is the secret to being happy and virtuous?
4. Why do you believe the Embryo store is found in the basement?
5. Why do you think that John quotes Romeo and Juliet when he was watching Lenina sleep?
6. What does Helmholtz tell Bernard the DHC made public while he was away?
7. What horrifies Lenina about the Indian guide?
8. What did the conscription of consumption compell?
9. How does Lenina feel when Bernard flushes when she brings up their New Mexico plans?
10. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, using specific examples from the novel, how the character of Bernard could be described accurately as a coward.
Essay Topic 2
After his mother dies, John feels unwanted and alone. Write an essay explaining how and why John feels this way. Use information and specific details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail how this novel is an example of a dystopia. Use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)