|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bernard and Lenina return after leaving the reservation?
2. Who do the necessary orders sent to to permit Linda and John to return to the 'other place?
3. What is the aim of mass production?
4. Which of the following items in Lenina's suitcase awes John?
5. What is passed around as they say, " I drink to my annihilation" at the Solidarity Service?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lenina and Bernard surprised by John?
2. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
3. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
4. What statement in chapter four does Lenina make which is an unconscious echo of one of the many hypnopaedic lessons?
5. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
6. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
7. Why does John begin whipping himself?
8. Why do you think that John quotes Romeo and Juliet when he was watching Lenina sleep?
9. What has replaced the pursuit of knowledge by the end of chapter five?
10. How does Lenina feel when Bernard flushes when she brings up their New Mexico plans?
Essay Topic 1
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 2
Write a essay describing John's views on sexual values. Include in your essay the basis of John's values when he first arrives in the civilization and how this changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)