|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which room is located on the ground floor?
2. Which of the following did Lenina propose that she and Bernard complete on their first date?
3. Who was Lenina going to the north pole with?
4. Which of the following best describes how Bernard feels?
5. What on the reservation reminds Lenina of the Solidarity services?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
2. What horrifies Lenina about the Indian guide?
3. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
4. What does Helmholtz wonder as they sit on Bernard's couch in his apartment?
5. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
6. Why do you think that John quotes Romeo and Juliet when he was watching Lenina sleep?
7. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
8. What event makes Lenina sob after witnessing at the savage reservation?
9. Why do you believe the Embryo store is found in the basement?
10. What is the definition of hypnopaedia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)