|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be found set out by nurses in the infant nurseries?
2. Which of the following is an average range of embryos which develop from one egg?
3. What does Lenina wish she had while on the reservation?
4. Which of the following characters is one of the Ten World Controllers?
5. Which of the following is considered a threat to the State?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
2. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
3. Why would the D.H.C. be furious with Lenina according to Fanny?
4. What does the Director indicate is the secret to being happy and virtuous?
5. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
6. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
7. What does Helmholtz tell Bernard the DHC made public while he was away?
8. Why is it difficult for the students to imagine what it is like to live with one's family?
9. What happened to Linda which caused her great distress?
10. What chant is said over and over as the group at the Solidarity Service dances in a circle slapping each other's bottoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a essay describing John's views on sexual values. Include in your essay the basis of John's values when he first arrives in the civilization and how this changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
After his mother dies, John feels unwanted and alone. Write an essay explaining how and why John feels this way. Use information and specific details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)