|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John think has happened when he goes to the rest house and no one answers?
2. Where do Lenina and Bernard plan to go?
3. Which of the following is the result of the second lever thrown as the infants touch the materials put out by the nurses?
4. What on the reservation reminds Lenina of the Solidarity services?
5. What does the man in the coyote mask do to the young boy of about eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What adjectives did John use to identify with Pope?
2. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
3. What does Helmholtz wonder as they sit on Bernard's couch in his apartment?
4. What does the Director say that a love of nature is for they lower castes?
5. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
6. What questions are difficult for Linda to answer when John has asked them?
7. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
8. How does Lenina feel when Bernard flushes when she brings up their New Mexico plans?
9. What happened to Linda which caused her great distress?
10. What does Lenina say was a bunch of dangerous nonsense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the division of the classes throughout the novel. Use examples from the text and make a judgment of the benefits and detractions of this type of divided class system.
Essay Topic 2
Describe, using specific examples from the novel, how the character of Bernard could be described accurately as a coward.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)