|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the character who gave Linda mescal often?
2. What is body mass been conditioned to represent?
3. What did Linda say mescal was similar to?
4. Which of the following is the lowest caste of embryos?
5. Whose books does John often read by not necessarily understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chant is said over and over as the group at the Solidarity Service dances in a circle slapping each other's bottoms?
2. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
3. What did the conscription of consumption compell?
4. What happened to Linda which caused her great distress?
5. What does the Director indicate is the secret to being happy and virtuous?
6. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
7. What horrifies Lenina about the Indian guide?
8. Why does Mustapha Monda agree to Bernard's plan?
9. Why do you think that John quotes Romeo and Juliet when he was watching Lenina sleep?
10. What does the Director say that a love of nature is for they lower castes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing in what way John's whipping is a sign of his wanting to repent. Include in your essay what John is repenting for as well as specific examples to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe, using specific examples from the novel, how the character of Bernard could be described accurately as a coward.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Bernard must have felt when he was able to trump the director's ploy to make a public example of Bernard. Use specific examples from the story to support your supposition.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)