|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bernard uncomfortable dealing with the lower castes?
2. Which of the following items in Lenina's suitcase awes John?
3. Where does Bernard call to tell the story of Linda and John?
4. What is the purpose of the games according to the Director?
5. Which of the following did Lenina propose that she and Bernard complete on their first date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
2. How does Lenina feel when Bernard flushes when she brings up their New Mexico plans?
3. What adjectives did John use to identify with Pope?
4. What does Bernard do after the the Solidarity service ends?
5. What did the conscription of consumption compell?
6. Why wasn't John able to marry the girl that he loved on the reservation?
7. What horrifies Lenina about the Indian guide?
8. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
9. What statement in chapter four does Lenina make which is an unconscious echo of one of the many hypnopaedic lessons?
10. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the use of conditioning in your own life in comparison to how it is used in the novel. Use both personal experiences and specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing in what way John's whipping is a sign of his wanting to repent. Include in your essay what John is repenting for as well as specific examples to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe, using specific examples from the novel, how the character of Bernard could be described accurately as a coward.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)