|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda tell John the difference is between mescal and soma?
2. What happened to the girl that John loved?
3. What does John's mother call the people she has been living with?
4. Which of the following is a major instrument of social stability according to the director?
5. What game are the children playing when he takes his tour group outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the definition of hypnopaedia?
2. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
3. What does the Director say the babies will develop as related to flowers and books?
4. What has replaced the pursuit of knowledge by the end of chapter five?
5. Describe the game of Centrifugal Bumble-puppy.
6. What does Helmholtz tell Bernard the DHC made public while he was away?
7. What does Bernard do after the the Solidarity service ends?
8. What does the Director say that a love of nature is for they lower castes?
9. What adjectives did John use to identify with Pope?
10. Why is it difficult for the students to imagine what it is like to live with one's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)