Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates the change of shifts?
2. Where does this story take place?
3. What can be found set out by nurses in the infant nurseries?
4. Which type of education does the Director indicate should never be rational?
5. How do Solidarity Services generally end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenina say was a bunch of dangerous nonsense?
2. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
3. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
4. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
5. Why do you believe the Embryo store is found in the basement?
6. What does Helmholtz tell Bernard the DHC made public while he was away?
7. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
8. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
9. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
10. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Bernard must have felt when he was able to trump the director's ploy to make a public example of Bernard. Use specific examples from the story to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 2
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay, using information from the text and from your own personal experience, to address the statement posed by the controller that without misery, there is no need for religion, which is just another moral conditioning program.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)