Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates the change of shifts?
2. Where does this story take place?
3. What can be found set out by nurses in the infant nurseries?
4. Which type of education does the Director indicate should never be rational?
5. How do Solidarity Services generally end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenina say was a bunch of dangerous nonsense?
2. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
3. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
4. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
5. Why do you believe the Embryo store is found in the basement?
6. What does Helmholtz tell Bernard the DHC made public while he was away?
7. What does Bernard say after he refuses the soma raspberry sundae Lenina offers him?
8. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
9. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
10. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the development of characters throughout this novel. Think of questions such as: Are the characters well developed? Do the characters become more developed as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Write a essay describing John's views on sexual values. Include in your essay the basis of John's values when he first arrives in the civilization and how this changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the Solidarity Service to a religious service. Use examples from the text and your own personal experience.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)