|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the girl that John loved?
2. Which of the following is not a descriptive term the Controller uses to describe home?
3. Which word best describes how Lenina views Bernard in chapter six?
4. What happens when John tried to join in the ceremonies?
5. Who fathered John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
2. Why is Bernard mocked by his peers?
3. What were some of the things Linda told John about 'the other place'?
4. Why do you think John is awed by the smell of perfume and the sound of zippers?
5. What does the Director say the babies will develop as related to flowers and books?
6. Why are Lenina and Bernard surprised by John?
7. What statement in chapter four does Lenina make which is an unconscious echo of one of the many hypnopaedic lessons?
8. What does Bernard do after the the Solidarity service ends?
9. What does the Director say that a love of nature is for they lower castes?
10. What is the definition of hypnopaedia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail, with examples from the text, a Solidarity Service.
Essay Topic 2
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)