|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement did children begin getting at age five according to Bernard?
2. Whose books does John often read by not necessarily understand?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the groups of people?
4. Why does Bernard want Helmholtz to go by his home?
5. What does John's mother smell like to Lenina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the aim of mass production as described in Chapter 1?
2. What chant is said over and over as the group at the Solidarity Service dances in a circle slapping each other's bottoms?
3. What questions are difficult for Linda to answer when John has asked them?
4. Why is Bernard mocked by his peers?
5. Why are Lenina and Bernard surprised by John?
6. What event makes Lenina sob after witnessing at the savage reservation?
7. Why do you think Lenina takes so many tablets of soma when she returns to the rest house?
8. Why do you believe the Embryo store is found in the basement?
9. In what ways are an egg's normal growth checked?
10. What happened to Linda which caused her great distress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail, with examples from the text, in what ways and manner Helmholtz has sacrificed himself personally and how he changes that throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail, with examples from the text, a Solidarity Service.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how emotions of the characters are a critical component of the development of the story and scenes within the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)