|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bernard call to tell the story of Linda and John?
2. What game are the children playing when he takes his tour group outside?
3. Where does the director indicate he will send Bernard if there are more complaints about him?
4. How does Bernard feel at the end of chapter five?
5. Helmholtz states that he is feeling queer about which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions are difficult for Linda to answer when John has asked them?
2. Describe what is meant by the Suggestions from the State.
3. What does the Director say that a love of nature is for they lower castes?
4. Why is Bernard mocked by his peers?
5. What adjectives did John use to identify with Pope?
6. Why do you think that John quotes Romeo and Juliet when he was watching Lenina sleep?
7. Why is it difficult for the students to imagine what it is like to live with one's family?
8. What has replaced the pursuit of knowledge by the end of chapter five?
9. What statement in chapter four does Lenina make which is an unconscious echo of one of the many hypnopaedic lessons?
10. What does Helmholtz wonder as they sit on Bernard's couch in his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his mother dies, John feels unwanted and alone. Write an essay explaining how and why John feels this way. Use information and specific details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why an emphasis on promiscuity came to be in this novel. After your description make a judgment as to your opinion of this emphasis. Use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay comparing the characters of John and Bernard throughout the novel. Be sure to draw comparisons from all aspects of the novel as the characters change and develop throughout the story.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)