|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do John, Helmholtz and Bernard often do together?
(a) Read from Shakespeare
(b) Take soma
(c) Make fun of others
(d) Write poetry
2. What amazes the nurse who is caring for John's mother?
(a) That he bothers to come to visit his mother
(b) That he is actually her child
(c) That he is as young as he is
(d) That he puts such importance on a single person
3. Why does Lenina assume John will not come out of his room?
(a) Because he is afraid of her
(b) Because he does not want to sleep with her
(c) Because she slept with Bernard
(d) Because he does not like her
4. Which of the following ideas from Romeo and Juliet did Helmhotz find very obscene?
(a) Star-crossed lovers
(b) Forcing love on someone
(c) Uncremated bodies
(d) Mother and father
5. Which of the following characters do the police not take away after the riot at the soma distribution line?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the nurse distract the twins while John is by his dead mother's bed?
2. According to the director, what has Bernard attacked?
3. Which of the following words is an accurate description of how John responds when Lenina strops off her clothes?
4. Why does Lenina feel that she is getting some of the fame under false pretenses?
5. Where does Lenina take John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between murder and what Bernard has done as described by the director.
2. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
3. In what ways does the director indicate Bernard has grossly betrayed the trust of the society?
4. What does the controller indicate has all of the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona without the inconveniences?
5. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
6. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
7. Describe how the director responds to Linda and John.
8. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
9. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
10. What happened, as the controller described, on the island of Cypress when it was inhabited with nothing but Alphas?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)