|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the music box play to calm the crowd?
(a) Voice of reason speech number two
(b) Voice of reason speech number one
(c) Anti-riot speech number one
(d) Anti-riot speech number two
2. Which of the following does the controller indicate is incompatible with happiness?
3. Which character does Bernard send reports too which agree with some of the Savage's ideas?
(a) Mustapha Mond
4. What does the director accuse Bernard of doing?
(a) Fathering a child
(b) Betraying the trust given to him
(c) Traveling to the Savage Reservation
(d) Obeying Our Ford alone
5. What analogy does the controller use to describe the optimum population?
(a) Island of Cypress
(c) An iceberg
(d) The human body
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a treatment suggested to Lenina to overcome her growing saddness?
2. What does John do with his Shakespeare book after Helmholtz bursts into laughter over some of the writing?
3. Why does Lenina assume John will not come out of his room?
4. Where does Lenina take John?
5. Which of the following characters notices Lenina's growing sadness and makes suggestions on possible treatments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the controller indicate has all of the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona without the inconveniences?
2. Why does Linda call John Pope?
3. Why does the crowd begin to mimic John's whipping gestures toward each other?
4. Why does Lenina go to John's apartment?
5. What does the controller admit to John, Bernard and Helmholtz in relation to books?
6. What do the metal knobs on the chairs at the feelies do?
7. Describe how Lenina feels when she leaves the party with the Arch-community-songster.
8. What does Bernard begin to point out to those that will listen?
9. What question does Helmholtz wonder how it made people who read Shakespeare's work excited?
10. What does John remember as he sits beside his mother's hospital bed before she awakens and talks to him?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)